New marine betta acting lethargic

Alex Lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a 5 inch marine betta two days ago to my 75 gallon FOWLR tank that has been established for 6 years that has a snowflake eel I've had for 5 years. The eel hasn't disturbed it. The marine betta fed on frozen mysis shrimp in the store and it fed yesterday in my tank as well, but today it didn't feed. It is hiding behind a rock, propped up by its pelvic fins on the sand and leaning against the tank's back wall. Is this normal behavior? Do marine bettas act this lethargic when added to a new tank? I've heard they are hardy, but I'm still a bit worried.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen this in the past when I had one. Mine only fed every couple of days as well. You can add a couple ghost shrimp to the tank and see if it perks up at all. Mine used to love them and would stalk them. Took a while for mine to eat frozen so I was only feeding a couple times a week live food and he lived over 5 years until I had a crash. They really are a little on the shy side and will find a place they feel safe to rest in. Keep an eye on him and see if he moves around a little when lights get low.

Any other ideas #reefsquad?

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one years ago. They are reasonably hardy but can be secretive and not very active, especially when there's no prey nearby, pretty much exactly as you describe. Although some comets will eat prepared food, they really prefer live food. Put a live feeder guppy in that tank and watch what happens. A comet stalking and striking its prey is really something to see. :)

DougBouma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one now for the last couple years. Hangs out and hides most days depending on other aggressive fish. He loves krill and he likes to be fed late at night 30-40 minutes before lights go out.

Dan I

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had mine for almost 2 years. They pretty much hide in crevices in your rock work and only pop out when they want to or when its feeding time. However, they are beautiful fish and worth it when they do come out for a bit.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not seen the leaning or perching behaviour before but it could be that this is normal when the are secreted in a hole somewhere. Mine is an adult and still very active throughout the day but I have no large fish and the tank was built around it with lots of caves and dark corners.
They are a predatory species so need larger food items a couple of times a week. They can also go on hunger strike for a couple of weeks without harm, so don't overly worry yet just give it time to settle in.

OP
OP
A

Alex Lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the replies. Here's an image of what my marine betta is acting like.
IMG_9472.JPG

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%

Back