New member from NC

D.Hunter83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, names Daniel. I'm completely new to saltwater and reefs all together. I wanted to start with a big tank but my wife decided she really liked the nano tanks. So now i have a used jbj 28 gallon nano cube (really not happy with the rear chambers). After some reaserch I went out and bought the equipment i wanted/needed which is as follows:
hydor rotating return heads
reef octopus hob classic 1000 skimmer
jbj auto top off with aqua lifter pump
eheim jager 100watt heater
jebao pp4 wavemakerand
kessil a160we (removed the hood all together)
20lb live sand
Seachem matrix carbon
Seachem puregen
Aquaforest life bio fil
And a good bit of dry rock.

I have a few issues already and it hasn't been cycling for 2 weeks yet.

Skimmer is pouring out tons of micro bubbles and isnt skimming, heater is set to 81 but tank wont get over 75, return pumps are making bubbles. O think i've watched every video and read almost every article I could find about various issues and still no luck. I find myself on this forum most so i joined. I'll try not to start new threads that aren't needed. So thanks for having me and any input or advice will be taken to heart.

20170807_074841.jpg

Annahra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!!

Skimmer could be breaking in. Have you dosed anything yet? Mine went crazy right after I got it and I traced it to underwater epoxy.

Could be a calibration issue with your heater, but also think about how you're testing temperature. Are you sure your thermometer is accurate?

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Your skimmer is going to create allot of overflow when it's new, it takes a few days for it to settle down. You may want to put a sponge between your skimmer output and the return pump to cut down on micro bubbles. Good Luck!

welcom.jpg

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I agree with letting your skimmer break in, it should settle down after a bit. And putting a sponge in the baffles going to your return is a good suggestion.

The thermostat on the heater might be bad, or it just might not be cutting it. I would grab a second heater ( good to have a spare anyway) and do a little experimenting.

Sorry you're having issues, but feel free to post any questions you have! The members here are super friendly, and don't mind helping!

OP
OP
D.Hunter83

D.Hunter83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah everything is new, been running for about 2 weeks though. Ill try adding sponge in return chamber. I guess the heater could be bad out of the box, ill try to swap it out and see how it goes. I have a thermometer with a probe. I noticed yesterday that i actually lost temp from 75 to 74.8 so maybe it was working and quit. I also read adding a bag of carbon in the skimmer may help but not sure where i should put it. Not dosing anything yet either. Thanks everyone

DoriShults

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI! I'm another from NC and new to the hobby. Well hubby's hobby that I take care of lol We started a 55 gal tank and have just added a few coral 2 doing well 1 not so much :( Of course I have done such a good job, hubby wanted a 150 gal so now we have a 150 gal sitting in our tiny living room too. We are retired so I figure it's out living room and if we want tanks everywhere that's what we will have! I raise golden doodle pups in my spare time! Learning a lot from the group and enjoy all the pictures. Have several problem I want to post about when I have more time. Thanks for the great group!

OP
OP
D.Hunter83

D.Hunter83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heater was bad, swapped it out and good to go. Also added some black foam (lfs callef it bubble trap) a few places and raised water level in return chambers most bubbles are gone now.

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome man! This is a great place to ask anything you need to know. Everyone is more than happy to help. I'm originally from NC but moved to WV a few years back! Happy reefing man!

OP
OP
D.Hunter83

D.Hunter83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New heater won't shut off :mad: going to switch to a cobalt neotherm and try that.

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New heater won't shut off :mad: going to switch to a cobalt neotherm and try that.
Finnex Titanium heaters are also good to go. I recommend anything not glass so that it doesn't explode in the tank. Never seen that happen but I just dont trust em. Welcome too the family brother and Happy Reefing

Lninwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, this is the place to get answers regardless of your skill level. I learn something new here almost every day. Generally it is recommended to buy the biggest tank you can afford. The reason being it's easier to keep parameters when you have a large water volume. Your aquascape looks great. Sorry about your heaters being bad

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back