New member introduction

wicko

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 31, 2025
Messages
2
Reaction score
12
Location
Brisbane
What state or country do you live in
Australia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
Long time lurker, but new member.
I have been keeping reef tanks since 1990 and have seen lots of tech change in that time. I live in Queensland Australia which has summer temps in the 90s & 100s and my first chiller had to be custom made as they were not available locally at that time. The biggest (best) change for me was LED lights. In a hot and humid environment, the metal hallide lights just made too much heat which meant that my chiller was constantly on. The LED lights fixed that problem and cut my power bill in half. I have been running Mazarra P's for 13 years now and they are a great light. My corals grow out of control and my "Dallas" acro grew so much, I actually had to prune it multiple times per year - it even started growing on my water outlet spout. I still have them, but some LEDs are starting to fail.
I have had many reef tanks over the years & have had some interesting critters such as a seahorse tank and harlequin shrimp which only eat starfish.
My current tank is a Cade 1500 S2 with the aforementioned Mazarra Ps. It is going gangbusters although I did add some sand to the bottom recently & now have an outbreak of diatoms.
Anyway, thanks to everyone for all your contributions, I'm still learning after all these years.
Lionel
 
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246
 
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 9.1%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 9.1%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new