New member, need suggestions

BobbySolo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello people, I have a huge problem.
I started a main tank of 30G, with a couple of anemones (one BTA and a sebae anemone but now three the BTA just split couple hours ago) peppermint shrimps, snails and a couple of amazing clownfish (Marley and Margot, tomato clownfish). The tank is 1 year old, I added all my little friends slowly around 8 months ago when the tank was cycled and after QT everything for 4 weeks. Everything was going really well, clowns were happy with both the anemones, water change (20%) every week with sea water (I live 20 meters from the ocean), water tested before and after every water change. I set up a Hospital tank of 8G (don't have much space, in Japan everything is very small) as well.
Here the problem: checking during feeding my clowns a couple of days ago I noticed white spots on fins and body 3 days ago (both clowns). Their behavior was still normal. I bought the following products: malachite green and formaldehyde 37%. I did a freshwater bath (5 minutes) followed by a formalin+malachite green bath (45 minutes) and moved them in the HT. They looked normal as before in the main tank, they were eating as well.
The day after I woke up and Marley (small male) was facing the sand and one hours late was gone full of white spots. So fast.
Margot now (after 8 hours) is in the same condition, probably will leave me soon, not able to swim facing the sand.
She has several white spots, kind of muco or whatever is on her skin, whitish, cloudy eyes (probably brook's disease or velvet looking on Internet).
Want just to ask, no new fish have been placed in the tank, what happened to my tank? What I did wrong? I read that is very easy when you add new and maybe infected fish, but just with water change?
More importantly, how much time my tank should remain fish less to be ready again?

Storm Trooper Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ocean water at a city shoreline is usually contaminated, people, boats, water from the city (even rain runoff). If your HT has the same water source as you main tank, nothing changed. Different box with same problem
in the ocean, currents always exchange the water, so a problem (or disease) dissipates. In our box of water, it can multiply quickly. Like a bathroom without a fan, or flushing, it will smell bad quickly.
a good UV sterilizer might help if you continue to use ocean water.
I am sorry for your clowns.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• 20210323_221948.png
    20210323_221948.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 26

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello people, I have a huge problem.
I started a main tank of 30G, with a couple of anemones (one BTA and a sebae anemone but now three the BTA just split couple hours ago) peppermint shrimps, snails and a couple of amazing clownfish (Marley and Margot, tomato clownfish). The tank is 1 year old, I added all my little friends slowly around 8 months ago when the tank was cycled and after QT everything for 4 weeks. Everything was going really well, clowns were happy with both the anemones, water change (20%) every week with sea water (I live 20 meters from the ocean), water tested before and after every water change. I set up a Hospital tank of 8G (don't have much space, in Japan everything is very small) as well.
Here the problem: checking during feeding my clowns a couple of days ago I noticed white spots on fins and body 3 days ago (both clowns). Their behavior was still normal. I bought the following products: malachite green and formaldehyde 37%. I did a freshwater bath (5 minutes) followed by a formalin+malachite green bath (45 minutes) and moved them in the HT. They looked normal as before in the main tank, they were eating as well.
The day after I woke up and Marley (small male) was facing the sand and one hours late was gone full of white spots. So fast.
Margot now (after 8 hours) is in the same condition, probably will leave me soon, not able to swim facing the sand.
She has several white spots, kind of muco or whatever is on her skin, whitish, cloudy eyes (probably brook's disease or velvet looking on Internet).
Want just to ask, no new fish have been placed in the tank, what happened to my tank? What I did wrong? I read that is very easy when you add new and maybe infected fish, but just with water change?
More importantly, how much time my tank should remain fish less to be ready again?
As others mentioned, using in shore natural seawater can bring disease to your tank. There are ways to treat it first; peroxide, bleach and dechlorinate or micro filtration.
Jay

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R.

Sorry to read about your clowns, but I'm terrible at fish issues as I've never had any serious problems.

As for the water you get from the ocean, I'm less inclined to see it as the issue. I collect live animals from several different places along the shoreline and some even off the beach after a storm. In 15 years of doing that, I've never had any problems other than bringing some nasty algae into the tank one time.

Good luck.

jtp7004ft

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!!!

Bobbysolo is just introducing himself, the issue is being handled in another thread.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 133 59.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 79 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.4%
Back