New nano build!

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for a 10-20 gallon rimless nano with starfire glass peninsula or regular box/rectangle style. I was looking at waterbox to give you an idea

Waterbox makes a really nice tank.

We do make Glass Rimless Tanks. All from fabricated on site from raw materials. Nothing pre-cut here. Glass Rimless from 3 to 240 Gallons. Your desired dimensions. Glass options. Design options. Here to serve.

OP
OP
Polyp Punk

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waterbox makes a really nice tank.

We do make Glass Rimless Tanks. All from fabricated on site from raw materials. Nothing pre-cut here. Glass Rimless from 3 to 240 Gallons. Your desired dimensions. Glass options. Design options. Here to serve.
Would you be able to do a 20 gallon rimless starfire glass nano peninsula? And how much round about ?

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just remember low ion glass like the “star fire” glass that Waterbox uses is VERY easy to scratch. I’d even say they’re prone to scratches. Go look through the threads. There’s quite a few Waterbox scratch incidents circulating currently.
Looking for a 10-20 gallon rimless nano with starfire glass peninsula or regular box/rectangle style. I was looking at waterbox to give you an idea

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Joe Glass Cages i wonder if you could make a tank out of laminated glass. A laminate film over the panels would make it much harder to scratch and It would also make it nearly impossible to break the tank.

Joe Glass Cages

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Joe Glass Cages i wonder if you could make a tank out of laminated glass. A laminate film over the panels would make it much harder to scratch and It would also make it nearly impossible to break the tank.
hmmmm.... laminated glass typically is 2 sheets of glass with an interlayer, typically of polyvinyl butyral or ethylene-vinyl acetate. Your discription, described a layer on the outside. Can you clarify?

Mgex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a biocube 32 for About 8 months I broke it down when I fried the lights and then set it back up about a month ago with a black box led they are good tanks other than the stock light it needs a ground plug on it ,I feel like you might have pushed back the silicone seal with anything from a rock to a scraper if you accidentally do that it will cause it to fail eventually

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmmmm.... laminated glass typically is 2 sheets of glass with an interlayer, typically of polyvinyl butyral or ethylene-vinyl acetate. Your discription, described a layer on the outside. Can you clarify?
Yes! Glass on the outside, followed by the poly, followed by glass then another layer of the poly on the inside.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theoretically, the poly should be harder to scratch and the layers in between would make it pretty much impossible to break the tank. I’m not sure how scratch resistant the poly is though. I know for sure hurricane windows and windshields on cars are pretty scratch resistant. I thought cars also had a poly sheet on the outside and inside of the car to sandwich the glass to avoid shattering in the event of a collision.

Joe Glass Cages

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theoretically, the poly should be harder to scratch and the layers in between would make it pretty much impossible to break the tank. I’m not sure how scratch resistant the poly is though. I know for sure hurricane windows and windshields on cars are pretty scratch resistant. I thought cars also had a poly sheet on the outside and inside of the car to sandwich the glass to avoid shattering in the event of a collision.
ok.. Laminated glass from my experience will scratch just like clear float glass and Low-Iron (Starphire) glass. There are several films or coatings that can be added to the glass to reduce or make the glass scratch resistant. Laminated is much stronger for sure. All of these types of options do have an impact on the build budget. Something to consider is balancing the desired build with available budget. Also, what is appropriate for the application? Being prudent with our funds will allow us to put our budget in other places. Just some thoughts.

Last edited:

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok.. Laminated glass from my experience will scratch just like clear float glass and Low-Iron (Starphire) glass. There are several films or coatings that can be added to the glass to reduct or make the glass scratch resistant. Laminated is much stronger for sure. All of these types of options do have an impact on the build budget. Something to consider is balancing the desired build with available budget. Also, what is appropriate for the application? Being prudent with our funds will allow us to put our budget in other places. Just some thoughts.
Hahaha yeah. I figured rubble off the windshield on the highway from a dump truck would qualify as pretty scratch resistant ;Hilarious . I’m not in the market yet... my 45 is getting full though.....

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 34.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back