New NUVO 100-EXT

Brisc0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not actually "new". Setup on May 25th but its progressing nicely. I started getting signs of Coraline on the glass and plastic about a week and a half ago so I got a few Monti's and a Frogspawn to test things out. Taking everything as slow as possible. This isn't my first reef but its the first one since about 2014. Tried to set this one up for ultra low maintenance and patience. So far so good on keeping my hands out of it and letting it do its thing. Feedback welcome! As you can see its a TIGHT fit lol...

SPECS:

• 100G NuvoEXT100 on Nuvo Stand w/ 100lbs Marco and 80lbs Special Grade Sand. Estimate the total volume at about 85G based on fill volume.
  • 34G Trigger Sump
  • COR-20 Return with two port manifold for a sampling port and running a JBJ 1/10th horse chiller (Est 400GPH).
  • COR-15 Secondary return pump inline with an Aqua 25W UV (est. 300GPH).
  • Reef OCTO Regal 150S Skimmer snorkeled to outside air. (FYI I love this skimmer)
  • Two 150W BRS Heaters
  • Apex for PH/COND/ORP/TEMP as well as two DOS Pumps. One for Kalk dosed at PH 8.15 and NOPOX dosed at 4ML over 24 hours. The second DOS performs 2.5G daily auto water changes. 45G Brutes are setup in the garage and plumbed through crawl space (that was fun). Waste water similarly plumbed through crawl space to my laundry drain.
  • Lighting consists of an AqauticLife 48" Dimmable T5 fixture running 4x 54w ATI Blue Plus controlled via 1-10w dimmable controls on Apex. T5's are supplemented by a pair of Kessil A360X spaced 22" from center. Refugium is lit with an A80 Tuna Sun. Moon is handled via Apex Moonlights on LSM.
  • Two Vortech MP40QD's are also driven by the Apex for flow.
  • Power is setup on a UPS to carry the tank for about 5 minutes for power spikes and transition to a 22KW Briggs and Straton natural gas whole home generator.
  • ATO split between the KALK DOS and an Apex ATK plumbed directly to my RO Unit in the garage. I ditched the PMUP and used redundant Neptune solenoids to control the flow into the tank along with the ATKs eyes and float.
PARAMETERS:

After 2.5 months I am starting to ramp up the lights on acclimation modes and so far haven't had any brown issues. I am feeding reef nutrition via AFS twice daily along with 2 Nori strips and a mixture of Rods and Hakari Mysis gut loaded with spirulina twice daily as well. Parameters have been steady for the last month at:

• NO3: 2.5
  • PO4: .03
  • CA: 420
  • dKH: 8.6
  • PH: 8.10-8.16 fluctuations driven by Kalk
  • MG: 1320
  • TEMP: Current fluctuating 78.5 - 79.5 throughout the day. I'm in the dog days of Arkansas summer so that JBJ is very handy to remove the worry of over heating. Can also let thermostats go on "Eco" mode when traveling and not worry about things overheating.

100EXTAugust2020.jpg IMG_3045.jpg

Last edited:

ubiq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not actually "new". Setup on May 25th but its progressing nicely. I started getting signs of Coraline on the glass and plastic about a week and a half ago so I got a few Monti's and a Frogspawn to test things out. Taking everything as slow as possible. This isn't my first reef but its the first one since about 2014. Tried to set this one up for ultra low maintenance and patience. So far so good on keeping my hands out of it and letting it do its thing. Feedback welcome! As you can see its a TIGHT fit lol...

SPECS:

• 100G NuvoEXT100 on Nuvo Stand w/ 100lbs Marco and 80lbs Special Grade Sand. Estimate the total volume at about 85G based on fill volume.
  • 34G Trigger Sump
  • COR-20 Return with two port manifold for a sampling port and running a JBJ 1/10th horse chiller (Est 400GPH).
  • COR-15 Secondary return pump inline with an Aqua 25W UV (est. 300GPH).
  • Reef OCTO Regal 150S Skimmer snorkeled to outside air. (FYI I love this skimmer)
  • Two 150W BRS Heaters
  • Apex for PH/COND/ORP/TEMP as well as two DOS Pumps. One for Kalk dosed at PH 8.15 and NOPOX dosed at 4ML over 24 hours. The second DOS performs 2.5G daily auto water changes. 45G Brutes are setup in the garage and plumbed through crawl space (that was fun). Waste water similarly plumbed through crawl space to my laundry drain.
  • Lighting consists of an AqauticLife 48" Dimmable T5 fixture running 4x 54w ATI Blue Plus controlled via 1-10w dimmable controls on Apex. T5's are supplemented by a pair of Kessil A360X spaced 22" from center. Refugium is lit with an A80 Tuna Sun. Moon is handled via Apex Moonlights on LSM.
  • Two Vortech MP40QD's are also driven by the Apex for flow.
  • Power is setup on a UPS to carry the tank for about 5 minutes for power spikes and transition to a 22KW Briggs and Straton natural gas whole home generator.
  • ATO split between the KALK DOS and an Apex ATK plumbed directly to my RO Unit in the garage. I ditched the PMUP and used redundant Neptune solenoids to control the flow into the tank along with the ATKs eyes and float.
PARAMETERS:

After 2.5 months I am starting to ramp up the lights on acclimation modes and so far haven't had any brown issues. I am feeding reef nutrition via AFS twice daily along with 2 Nori strips and a mixture of Rods and Hakari Mysis gut loaded with spirulina twice daily as well. Parameters have been steady for the last month at:

• NO3: 2.5
  • PO4: .03
  • CA: 420
  • dKH: 8.6
  • PH: 8.10-8.16 fluctuations driven by Kalk
  • MG: 1320
  • TEMP: Current fluctuating 78.5 - 79.5 throughout the day. I'm in the dog days of Arkansas summer so that JBJ is very handy to remove the worry of over heating. Can also let thermostats go on "Eco" mode when traveling and not worry about things overheating.

100EXTAugust2020.jpg IMG_3045.jpg
I'm about to pull the trigger on a mostly identical arrangement. I have a few questions. Is it necessary to construct the stand around the sump? I see vertical frame supports that would make it impossible to get the sump into a fully assembled stand. I'm undecided between the Trigger 26 and 34. It seems like the 26 might be a better match for this stand in terms of not blocking airflow to a chiller, but would it be adequate for this size tank? The 26 might also allow a partition between the wet components and the dry side. What do you think? Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
Brisc0

Brisc0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to pull the trigger on a mostly identical arrangement. I have a few questions. Is it necessary to construct the stand around the sump? I see vertical frame supports that would make it impossible to get the sump into a fully assembled stand. I'm undecided between the Trigger 26 and 34. It seems like the 26 might be a better match for this stand in terms of not blocking airflow to a chiller, but would it be adequate for this size tank? The 26 might also allow a partition between the wet components and the dry side. What do you think? Thanks in advance.

So the 34 fits perfectly with the 1/10th JBJ which also seems to be more than enough chilling power for my system. I had never really encountered a stand like this until I built it so I would suggest looking for the build instructions for some reference. You can chose the location of that middle brace. I think this sump was the perfect size. When I turn everything off it gets pretty close to full in my configuration. The doors pop right off but I did load the sump in from the back before I put everything into place. I could get it out the front if I had to but I really hope I am never in that position. As far as the Trigger 34 goes its a really nice sump. Wish the filter socks were not located in the back of the skimmer chamber because it SUCKS to have to take the cup off to get access to them for changing twice a week and its already so packed that its just a lot to reach all the way back there. Other than that its not bad. If you found a sump with a more accessible filter sock or possibly plubmed it with the socks in the front ?

spacey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the sump not fit through the side? They open on that stand and no braces in the way.

ubiq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sump fit easily through the double door side after temporarily removing the end door. My 34 is the platinum model so filter socks won't be an issue. The SK400 skimmer arrives Tuesday, leaving just the pump selection and sorting out the plumbing. I'm leaning toward a drop-in chiller if that proves to be the way to go.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very nice now more pics please! :p

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 28.7%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 20.8%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 21 11.8%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 62 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back