OP
dank reefer

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id encourage everyone here to listen to Episode 46 "Old Men yell at Clouds with Matt Pedersen" to hear about the Lacey Act.

Posted a link to it, but as you see any links posted about Reef Beef on this forum get deleted because of the Foul, Rude, Crude, Nasty language they use - and one of the main reasons I listen to them!

BEEEEEEEEEEEEF!!!!!!

OP
OP
dank reefer

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
say-bro-do-we-got-beef.jpg

Heck yeah They Do!

The Best Pod Cast for us hobbyist.

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id encourage everyone here to listen to Episode 46 "Old Men yell at Clouds with Matt Pedersen" to hear about the Lacey Act.

Posted a link to it, but as you see any links posted about Reef Beef on this forum get deleted because of the Foul, Rude, Crude, Nasty language they use - and one of the main reasons I listen to them!

BEEEEEEEEEEEEF!!!!!!
There's more to it than that. Very good podcast, I enjoy Rich and Ben an awful lot but they are brutal for newbies. They don't give you the whole story. Rich always advocates for "lazy" methods, but fails to tell you he's running probably 10k in apex gear and using years and years of knowledge against that. They tried to talk about dinos this week and it was one sentence from each of them. For entertainment it's A+++ and for the general BE A SKEPTIC mentality is good too. Whats the doo dad they always talk about the Eco-Aqualizer? That's so funny. I remember that thing. Rich is pretty down on forums though. From what I gather it's from years of having to defend actual science and method against GARLIC CURES ICH and that west coast habit of having to stump for political/social issues at any one time.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and that west coast habit of having to stump for political/social issues at any one time
That’s my only issue with the show. Politics has infected everything nowadays so it would be nice to not have to listen to that. I had to call rich out for a comment he made to calling this site reef2racist because he doesn’t like it. Just dilutes the meaning of the word to call anyone you don’t like racist and actually hurts the movement against racism. He agreed with me but that’s the issue he will run into when he makes off the cuff jokes about political/social issues. Either way I like watching those two and a minor issue I have like that doesn’t negate the fact it’s a great podcast.

amoore311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rich always advocates for "lazy" methods, but fails to tell you he's running probably 10k in apex gear and using years and years of knowledge against that. They tried to talk about dinos this week and it was one sentence from each of them.
Rich talks about his love for neptune equipment and how much of it he has almost every episode.

The talk about Dinos was short because they were answering a fan questions and neither had a ton of experience with Dinos, they've also mentioned this on previous episodes saying how they do not run into bottomed out nutrient systems that often like new hobbyists tend to do now a days.

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s my only issue with the show. Politics has infected everything nowadays so it would be nice to not have to listen to that. I had to call rich out for a comment he made to calling this site reef2racist because he doesn’t like it. Just dilutes the meaning of the word to call anyone you don’t like racist and actually hurts the movement against racism. He agreed with me but that’s the issue he will run into when he makes off the cuff jokes about political/social issues. Either way I like watching those two and a minor issue I have like that doesn’t negate the fact it’s a great podcast.
Totally agree. We are back to trying to seperate "SCIENTIST RICH" and "WILD AND WHACKY PERSONAL LIFE RICH", which is hard. Anymore there appears to be no leeway for people. Everything is real binary now. Nobody can have civilized disagreements anymore, it's culture war 24/7.

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rich talks about his love for neptune equipment and how much of it he has almost every episode.

The talk about Dinos was short because they were answering a fan questions and neither had a ton of experience with Dinos, they've also mentioned this on previous episodes saying how they do not run into bottomed out nutrient systems that often like new hobbyists tend to do now a days.

If you watch his "RIGHT KIND OF LAZY" MACNA speech you get a real sense of HOW MUCH automation he's running, it's beyond a simple monitoring/dosing setup. He also doesn't seem to care about phosphates yet is dosing lanthum on his personal system to bring them down, I haven't heard him explain that. I'm not trying to nit pick, there's just a high bar of entry. I love the show and listen to it regularly, but if you are listening and not adopting the "SKEPTIC" mentality even against "MR SKEPTIC" you'll get bad advice. He is absolutely right about doing the science and doing it right and documenting and watching trends.

I don't believe for a second Ben doesn't hit dinos all the time with an aquarium service. That's the #1 problem I see around here with people wanting help and inquiring about my buddy's company for service. "I HAVE AN ALGAE PROBLEM" is always "oh god dinos". So agree to disagree.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you watch his "RIGHT KIND OF LAZY" MACNA speech you get a real sense of HOW MUCH automation he's running, it's beyond a simple monitoring/dosing setup. He also doesn't seem to care about phosphates yet is dosing lanthum on his personal system to bring them down, I haven't heard him explain that. I'm not trying to nit pick, there's just a high bar of entry. I love the show and listen to it regularly, but if you are listening and not adopting the "SKEPTIC" mentality even against "MR SKEPTIC" you'll get bad advice. He is absolutely right about doing the science and doing it right and documenting and watching trends.

I don't believe for a second Ben doesn't hit dinos all the time with an aquarium service. That's the #1 problem I see around here with people wanting help and inquiring about my buddy's company for service. "I HAVE AN ALGAE PROBLEM" is always "oh god dinos". So agree to disagree.
Dinos were never really a huge issue before the dry rock and low nutrient trend started. It happened from time to time, but not like today. Ben doesn't encounter dinos because he knows how to avoid them from the start. Experience comes with benefits. Also, our education started with books (which I think all new reefers should source for valuable information), trial and error, etc. Today, most new reefers just read posts on forums or watch YouTube for their info and that can create a lot of problems. I'm not saying you can't learn from these sources, but they shouldn't be your only source, in fact, reading a handful of quality books will give you everything you need to know to be successful. The fundamentals are the same, they are virtually unchanged. It's mostly the equipment and some methods that have changed (not all for the better). The key to these podcasts (Reef Beef, Reef Therapy) is picking up on their sources of information and doing your own research.
I'm old school, so I really enjoy these podcasts, they really speak to me in so many ways. And for those just seeing this, you need to start watching from their very first episode, it's worth every minute.
Happy reefing!

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He also doesn't seem to care about phosphates yet is dosing lanthum on his personal system to bring them down, I haven't heard him explain that.

He may have mentioned it on the first episode with Craig Beeferman (Bingman). IIRC, Rich said something along the lines of that he wasn't having noticeable issues with high P, but since so many other people were saying it's an issue, and since folks like Joe Yaiullo were having success using Lanthanum on really large tanks, Rich wanted to test it on his tank to see if it would bring P down reliably and safely, and what if any noticeable affects it would have. Rich seems to enjoy keeping tanks because he likes to tinker and test things, in addition to them just being nice to look at.

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dinos were never really a huge issue before the dry rock and low nutrient trend started. It happened from time to time, but not like today. Ben doesn't encounter dinos because he knows how to avoid them from the start. Experience comes with benefits. Also, our education started with books (which I think all new reefers should source for valuable information), trial and error, etc. Today, most new reefers just read posts on forums or watch YouTube for their info and that can create a lot of problems. I'm not saying you can't learn from these sources, but they shouldn't be your only source, in fact, reading a handful of quality books will give you everything you need to know to be successful. The fundamentals are the same, they are virtually unchanged. It's mostly the equipment and some methods that have changed (not all for the better). The key to these podcasts (Reef Beef, Reef Therapy) is picking up on their sources of information and doing your own research.
I'm old school, so I really enjoy these podcasts, they really speak to me in so many ways. And for those just seeing this, you need to start watching from their very first episode, it's worth every minute.
Happy reefing!
What’s crazy is in most of the books I have in the library have maybe 1 paragraph on Dinos.

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He may have mentioned it on the first episode with Craig Beeferman (Bingman). IIRC, Rich said something along the lines of that he wasn't having noticeable issues with high P, but since so many other people were saying it's an issue, and since folks like Joe Yaiullo were having success using Lanthanum on really large tanks, Rich wanted to test it on his tank to see if it would bring P down reliably and safely, and what if any noticeable affects it would have. Rich seems to enjoy keeping tanks because he likes to tinker and test things, in addition to them just being nice to look at.
He def loves to tinker. Lol. He was the poster boy for “phosphates don’t matter” so I’m just a lil bitter he’s trying to leave the high phosphate flock. It’s a badge of pride!

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
He def loves to tinker. Lol. He was the poster boy for “phosphates don’t matter” so I’m just a lil bitter he’s trying to leave the high phosphate flock. It’s a badge of pride!
It’s an ever evolving hobby, so we all change with new information and experience. I think he proved his point a long time ago, but like many of us, we’re in a constant state of learning.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 34 30.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 29 25.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 22.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 21.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back