New qt for velvet

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosing peroxide in DT but velvet took control everything and it getting worse even I dose 1ml per gal. Nothing recover, so I have to pull my fishes out

Dosing it into the display won't do anything. A formalin bath (1ml per gallon of 37%formaldehyde) can help get short term as you transfer them, but what they really need is a full copper treatment in a quarantine system.

OP
OP
A

An ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing it into the display won't do anything. A formalin bath (1ml per gallon of 37%formaldehyde) can help get short term as you transfer them, but what they really need is a full copper treatment in a quarantine system.
That what I will do tonight but I don’t have formalin. Should I do h2o2 bath instead?

OP
OP
A

An ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would. But don't do it if the fish have any red sores / open wounds.
Only one has bad bacteria infection, the rest should be ok, but should I bath all at the same time or do one by one???

artieg1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember that copper does not kill the parasites on the fish; it only prevents re-infection by killing the parasites when they go to free swimming stages. I would argue for going slow and carefully. I really think there is not much the average beginner hobbyist can do to effectively treat a fish already displaying velvet. My recommendation would be to get all fish out of the DT on a reasonable time table (it will take a while), and get them into QT tanks/tubs, and see who makes it. I would just use DT water for the initial setup; once you add copper it will kill any critters in the water (but future water changes should be fresh). Bring up copper slowly; lots of fish have bad reactions to sudden exposure. I'd increase over 4 days. The reason to use the copper is so that your fish do not get re-infected, and when you are confident that your DT is free from velvet parasites, the fish can be reintroduced. It is a long process. I would be thinking through the next 2 months, not the next 2 days. But as everyone is noting above, what kills fish in QT is ammonia, as much as any disease. So once in QT you have to monitor that and find a way to build up biological filter quickly and change water frequently.

OP
OP
A

An ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember that copper does not kill the parasites on the fish; it only prevents re-infection by killing the parasites when they go to free swimming stages. I would argue for going slow and carefully. I really think there is not much the average beginner hobbyist can do to effectively treat a fish already displaying velvet. My recommendation would be to get all fish out of the DT on a reasonable time table (it will take a while), and get them into QT tanks/tubs, and see who makes it. I would just use DT water for the initial setup; once you add copper it will kill any critters in the water (but future water changes should be fresh). Bring up copper slowly; lots of fish have bad reactions to sudden exposure. I'd increase over 4 days. The reason to use the copper is so that your fish do not get re-infected, and when you are confident that your DT is free from velvet parasites, the fish can be reintroduced. It is a long process. I would be thinking through the next 2 months, not the next 2 days. But as everyone is noting above, what kills fish in QT is ammonia, as much as any disease. So once in QT you have to monitor that and find a way to build up biological filter quickly and change water frequently.
Yep amonia can be a deadly thing to kill fishes that why I don’t want to pull fishes out when I have too many fishes

OP
OP
A

An ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question, i can not pull all fishes out at once so should I wait hntil all the fishes come into qt and raise copper or i have to raise it whenever fishes come in?

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question, i can not pull all fishes out at once so should I wait hntil all the fishes come into qt and raise copper or i have to raise it whenever fishes come in?

If you add fish into a system already in a treatment period, the time table starts over. So if you're 7 days into a 21 day copper treatment, you're back to day 1 if you bring them out of therapeutic levels to introduce more fish to the quarantine system. You should really try to get them all out and start them all at once. How many fish do you have? You could possibly need another quarantine system.

OP
OP
A

An ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you add fish into a system already in a treatment period, the time table starts over. So if you're 7 days into a 21 day copper treatment, you're back to day 1 if you bring them out of therapeutic levels to introduce more fish to the quarantine system. You should really try to get them all out and start them all at once. How many fish do you have? You could possibly need another quarantine system.
13 total ảound 3in, all anthias, angel and wrasses

artieg1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With that many fish, I would either use a 40 gallon, or two smaller ones. The two smaller QT tanks permit you to start copper on one group while you wait to catch the others for the second QT. Catching the fish is a huge pain in the rear. I eventually had to drain the water from my tank to catch the last ones (they have no where to go when the water is gone!) and then quickly refill. It did stress my corals. Read up on posts regarding catching fish. Traps are good for when you want to remove a particular fish. Honestly, I would not worry too much about "rushing" to QT. The main day to keep in mind is the day you get the last fish out. That starts the fallow period (it is shorter for velvet than ich, but many people do the longer ich period because, hey, you're already there). It really doesn't matter when you start copper for the fish, because you only need them in therapeutic copper for 21 days, before you re-introduce them after the fallow period. Obviously, though, you want to start copper as soon as you can to kill the parasite and stop re-infection.

OP
OP
A

An ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With that many fish, I would either use a 40 gallon, or two smaller ones. The two smaller QT tanks permit you to start copper on one group while you wait to catch the others for the second QT. Catching the fish is a huge pain in the rear. I eventually had to drain the water from my tank to catch the last ones (they have no where to go when the water is gone!) and then quickly refill. It did stress my corals. Read up on posts regarding catching fish. Traps are good for when you want to remove a particular fish. Honestly, I would not worry too much about "rushing" to QT. The main day to keep in mind is the day you get the last fish out. That starts the fallow period (it is shorter for velvet than ich, but many people do the longer ich period because, hey, you're already there). It really doesn't matter when you start copper for the fish, because you only need them in therapeutic copper for 21 days, before you re-introduce them after the fallow period. Obviously, though, you want to start copper as soon as you can to kill the parasite and stop re-infection.
That is what i plan to do. Catching them is a pain tho, will try to catch them without moving rock

OP
OP
A

An ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just start qt yesterday and use bacteria 7 but little bit overdose, water seem cloudy today. I just moved my fishes in, are they ok with that bactria bloom???

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 54.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.7%

Back