New Reef Hobbyist - Chalice Corals

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone :)
Tank: 25G/90L Waterbox Peninsula 25
Inbuilt Sump: Slotted surface baffle to 2.75" 225 Micron filter sock, Bioballs micron bag, Activated carbon micron bag, 100W Heater, Tunze 9001 Skimmer, Smart AutoTopOff lite, 1000lph Aquaone return pump[I replaced a 1000lph return pump that came with the tank because it was really loud and would vibrate heaps if I turned my air-conditioner on.] The new 1000lph pump seems to flow less but makes 0 noise.
In-Tank Equipment: 2-4 inch crushed coral sand-bed, Dry white rock, SicceVoyager2-stream pump.
Livestock Post-Cycle:
1st Month: 2" Percula Clown
2nd Month: Bicolor Goby bought with Green Tipped Torch Coral bought with Neon Green Fungia Plate Coral.
3rd Month: 2.5" Firefish/Dartfish
4th Month: Small 1" Oscellaris black/white clown with Single Blastomussa Polyp frag bought together with My Chalice Coral.

I recently got my 4th coral about 4 months into the hobby being a Chalice Coral. I really got it because I wanted to challenge myself with something new and with a moderate care level. I'm somewhat regretting my decision because the Chalice doesn't look too good. Some of the flesh has thinned out, I can't really tell if the polyps are okay but haven't seen anything extend and I'm sure everyone has heard the phrase by now, "Nothing good happens fast in a Reef tank". All my other Corals look incredible, my Green Tipped Torch has deepened in colour and has grown a lot since I got it as well as my Plate Coral. I will edit this when I find my phone to share some pictures of Day 1 when it went in-tank and a current situation photo.

I also wanted to ask, would it have been normal in the hobby to keep a Chalice Coral say 20 years ago? Just so I can understand how difficult they are to keep?

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your no3, ca, alk, mg, and pH and how much do they swing in between each "reset"? (WC, or dosing)

Where did you put it? How much PAR is it under and how much flow

Chalice isn't too hard but is less hardy than torch/plates. Likely it just didn't like one or more of the above.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone :)
Tank: 25G/90L Waterbox Peninsula 25
Inbuilt Sump: Slotted surface baffle to 2.75" 225 Micron filter sock, Bioballs micron bag, Activated carbon micron bag, 100W Heater, Tunze 9001 Skimmer, Smart AutoTopOff lite, 1000lph Aquaone return pump[I replaced a 1000lph return pump that came with the tank because it was really loud and would vibrate heaps if I turned my air-conditioner on.] The new 1000lph pump seems to flow less but makes 0 noise.
In-Tank Equipment: 2-4 inch crushed coral sand-bed, Dry white rock, SicceVoyager2-stream pump.
Livestock Post-Cycle:
1st Month: 2" Percula Clown
2nd Month: Bicolor Goby bought with Green Tipped Torch Coral bought with Neon Green Fungia Plate Coral.
3rd Month: 2.5" Firefish/Dartfish
4th Month: Small 1" Oscellaris black/white clown with Single Blastomussa Polyp frag bought together with My Chalice Coral.

I recently got my 4th coral about 4 months into the hobby being a Chalice Coral. I really got it because I wanted to challenge myself with something new and with a moderate care level. I'm somewhat regretting my decision because the Chalice doesn't look too good. Some of the flesh has thinned out, I can't really tell if the polyps are okay but haven't seen anything extend and I'm sure everyone has heard the phrase by now, "Nothing good happens fast in a Reef tank". All my other Corals look incredible, my Green Tipped Torch has deepened in colour and has grown a lot since I got it as well as my Plate Coral. I will edit this when I find my phone to share some pictures of Day 1 when it went in-tank and a current situation photo.

I also wanted to ask, would it have been normal in the hobby to keep a Chalice Coral say 20 years ago? Just so I can understand how difficult they are to keep?
Sounds like your aquarium is pretty well dialed in! Give it some time, feed it some Reefroids.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back