New Reefer Alert!

Jerad81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, my name is Jerad, I'm from Des Moines, IA, and I am a total newbie to the reefing world. I just started my first ever reef tank back in January and it has already been quite the adventure! I have a 20g IM all-in-one tank that has been through quite a mess so far. It has been overrun twice by some ugly brown stuff, not real sure what it was. After a few months on a blackout and A LOT of water changes I believe I have finally gotten rid of it! Before the blackout I lost my two clown fish as well which was a real bummer but also inspired the blackout afterwards. On a more positive note though my snail and hermit crab survived the storm and are doing great! I also just added my first two corals on Saturday so my fingers are crossed I have better success than I had with my clowns . Here are some pics of my tank now and hopefully I'll be adding more to it in the next couple weeks. Also, can anyone help me identify the green one? My lfs told me what it was but I've been having a massive brain fart and can't remember or find any pics of one that can help me. Thanks and I look forward to meeting you all!
20200929_181222.jpg
20200929_162057.jpg
20200926_173024.jpg

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum!

Can you get a better pic of the green one? Whatever it is, it's not looking super happy. It could be candy cane/trumpet or maybe a duncan. Very pretty ricordea though. Also, if you have just the one snail, times that by like 10, including a fighting conch and some nassarius for your sand bed. A hearty CUC will help you with that algae.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! Ask all the question you want, that's why R2R and the Reef Squad is here. We want you to be successful, so please ask any question and add #reefsquad to alert the squad.:)

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, my name is Jerad, I'm from Des Moines, IA, and I am a total newbie to the reefing world. I just started my first ever reef tank back in January and it has already been quite the adventure! I have a 20g IM all-in-one tank that has been through quite a mess so far. It has been overrun twice by some ugly brown stuff, not real sure what it was. After a few months on a blackout and A LOT of water changes I believe I have finally gotten rid of it! Before the blackout I lost my two clown fish as well which was a real bummer but also inspired the blackout afterwards. On a more positive note though my snail and hermit crab survived the storm and are doing great! I also just added my first two corals on Saturday so my fingers are crossed I have better success than I had with my clowns . Here are some pics of my tank now and hopefully I'll be adding more to it in the next couple weeks. Also, can anyone help me identify the green one? My lfs told me what it was but I've been having a massive brain fart and can't remember or find any pics of one that can help me. Thanks and I look forward to meeting you all!
20200929_181222.jpg
20200929_162057.jpg
20200926_173024.jpg
Hey Jerad, welcome.
Next time things don't look right, let us know.
We've probably been there.

OP
OP
Jerad81

Jerad81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum!

Can you get a better pic of the green one? Whatever it is, it's not looking super happy. It could be candy cane/trumpet or maybe a duncan. Very pretty ricordea though. Also, if you have just the one snail, times that by like 10, including a fighting conch and some nassarius for your sand bed. A hearty CUC will help you with that algae.
Welcome to the party! Happy reefing! I agree that is a beautiful ricordia. And the green one appears to be a candy cane or trumpet coral that isn't super happy.
:)
Nice scape, welcome to R2R! And agree with above, certainly looks like a candy cane coral.
Thank you all for the advice! I looked it up and I believe it is a candy cane/ trumpet coral. I moved it to a new location in the tank because it almost directly under my wavemaker and might not have been getting enough water flow. Also, I tested my water parameters and got the following results: pH = 8.2, NO2 = 0, NH3/NH4 = 0, NO3 = 20, and KH = 2-4. I might have lost count of the number of drops I added in my alkalinity test but I know it's somewhere in that range. From what I've found online so far that seems to be way too low. Are there any easy ways to raise it or should I leave it alone for now?

I haven't added any extra CUC members to my tank because I was worried there wasn't enough algae in my tank to feed them yet. I will definitely move them up my priority list now though.

Welcome to R2R!!! Ask all the question you want, that's why R2R and the Reef Squad is here. We want you to be successful, so please ask any question and add #reefsquad to alert the squad.:)
Thanks for letting me know! I will definitely keep that in mind in the future!

I will hopefully have a build thread started for this tank either today or tomorrow. I will let you know when I get it posted!

In the meantime, here are a couple more pics. My phone doesn't take closeups as well as I would like but hopefully this one is easier to see.

20200930_183016.jpg
20200930_182916.jpg

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does seem very low for alkalinity. I would do the test again to verify. Raising it slowly over time is the way to go if it is in fact to low. In my opinion controlling the change using water changes makes the most sense but ive never had to do that before. Im sure a quick search will give you some ideas. Anytime I see a test result that far off I question the validity. You may also want to test what your salt mix is mixing to for ph and alkalinity.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back