OP
djray77

djray77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some updated pics, got a few frags in place now :)
08dfeedcda6bbb7e7aa9af26c1fffeac.jpg
7f16cdd18d3d2385dccbdb90580a5cd7.jpg
f6d884f09acea1b580ac926e62da5edc.jpg
43c350906ab330cb9cb27be91816b753.jpg

billr65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what lights you using for the main tank ??? is it the xr15 pros ????

OP
OP
djray77

djray77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes XR15pros, but many of these corals have been in my quarantine tank under a black box led. So it will be interesting to see the changes. I'm hoping for the better lol

OP
OP
djray77

djray77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to post some updated pics. I added the aqualife T5 Hybrid this weekend so I always like to take before and after pics to see the growth or improvements or if gets worse. So in a month or two I will take some more and see what we get.

These pics are from my 40g breeder with a black box.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of media are you using in the canister?

If you have time, check out pondguru on YouTube. He has tons of videos on seeing up canister and different filters.

I ran a canister on my first tank for 3yrs. The only thing that ended it was me hitting the o ring and not being able to seal properly.

Canisters get a bad rap, but its just like a sump with a lid and no skimmer.

OP
OP
djray77

djray77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched Pondguru and set mine up the same as he showed the only difference with mine, I didn't use the biohome for biological media (I think that's the name). I'm using the ceramic rings. I love this thing, It's so easy to clean and to be honest I never cleaned my sump and I have never had such low nitrates before. I guess if you left it for a month without cleaning it would be a nitrate factory but every 2 weeks I give it a good clean and change the media and its good to go. Yea you have the plumbing and equipment showing in the tank but when it's all black it blends in and I don't really notice.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the inspiration for this build from Aarons Aquarium on youtube. I went from all bells and whistles 125g to this 75g. I want to make things as simple as possible. I have never ran a canister filter before but it seems really easy to maintain. Yes, I've heard they are nitrate factory's but if you clean them regularly I guess they arent bad. I went with an Fluval FX4 and hoping that should work nicely for a 75. As for flow I will be going with 2 jebao SW-8's (There's a little pp-4 in there for now just to stir things up for the cycle). This build is going to be simple and cheap except for my lighting, in his video he states this is one area you should not skimp on. So, 2 Radion XR15g4 pro's should work nice on a 48" tank. I just got my rock scape done last night, I was on the fence with it but I have always liked the arch style. I always think to myself, could I make something even better? I could go days trying new things and never get the cycle going lol. That's pretty much it so far, I have a bottle of biospira I just dont know if I should add a piece of shrimp or ghost feed with pellets? I dont want to add live fish even though they say you can.

20190602_091635.jpg
I use the same canister as you. I love it. Also have it on a 75g. I clean it once a month. Its weekend of every month. I love it.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many fish do you guys have in your 75g, trying to figure out what a low to medium bioload would consist of?
5 b/g chromis 5 yrs strong.
Coral bueaty
Royal gramma
Sailfin tang I know it shouldn't be in there. Its doing well l. Bad advice when first setting tank up.
Yellow watchman
Green clown goby
Yellow clown goby for the clown gobies bio load is min at best biggest they get is 1 1/2 inch.
My nitrates stay above 40 and has topped out at 80.
Phosphate 1 and have been that way for a while.

OP
OP
djray77

djray77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have:
2x Clowns
2x Wrasse
Coral Beauty
Hippo Tang (Im with you LOL. I know he will outgrow the tank but right now he is a small guy and much better off than a 1x1 cube in Petco)
I also have a yellow eye Kole tang that will be going in this weekend. I was just curious if that's about maxed out?

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have:
2x Clowns
2x Wrasse
Coral Beauty
Hippo Tang (Im with you LOL. I know he will outgrow the tank but right now he is a small guy and much better off than a 1x1 cube in Petco)
I also have a yellow eye Kole tang that will be going in this weekend. I was just curious if that's about maxed out?
IMO it is especially with the tangs. Minimize tbe rock to keep as much swimming room as possibly

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love mine, I was wondering if I should have gone with the FX6 but this seems to be doing a great job.
Bigger is better but fx4 will serve you well. Just a word of caution keep extra seals on hand. my old 406 had a seal go out it took two days to get replacements.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back