New Tank Build

NaH20nerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well folks, it’s time for another tank. After a long 4mo (sarcasm) getting the 10 gallon all lined out. Ive decided to go full size.

I’ve never documented a new tank build before but I suspect starting from scratch and documenting the project will be fun.

Step one: select a tank.

I wanted something big enough to accommodate most reef safe fish, but not so big it swallows the room. I also wanted tank maintenance to be manageable. Not intimidating. I researched the all in one tanks and nearly bought one but deep down I know I want more flexibility and customization. So (drum roll please)....I selected a 65 gallon tank built by Planet Aquariums. Included a Tideline Overflow. Just got the tank today.

Gonna build a custom stand for it soon. More to come...feedback and/or questions at anytime. Enjoy!!

2917bfd34cfd605195f39c32698ae6f1.jpg
b4ca18e9dfa2b184b4c18419ed31ece7.jpg
3d055e87c1b32c4f2c32ae23a4f47f26.jpg

OP
OP
NaH20nerd

NaH20nerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty. Can you take more pictures of the overflow box? Thank you

I haven’t seen any literature to prove it, but I believe it’s a Tideline Overflow. 2”x5-3/4”x16” inside the tank
3-1/2”x7”x16” outside the tank

Very similar in fashion to reef synergy’s ghost overflow.

IMG_4743.JPG
IMG_4744.JPG
IMG_4745.JPG
IMG_4746.JPG
IMG_4747.JPG

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We should work out your sandbed plans, how rare to get in before tank is aged and packed up with waste and so many rocks and corals on top you can't bring yourself to address or remove it

Are you using sand in it

how are you going to deal with waste that packs into the bed and stays there causing everyone's cyano and dino wrecked tanks-preemption-

Clearly that's a turbo setup, am curious about year four initially though, solid planning technique.

OP
OP
NaH20nerd

NaH20nerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We should work out your sandbed plans, how rare to get in before tank is aged and packed up with waste and so many rocks and corals on top you can't bring yourself to address or remove it

Are you using sand in it

how are you going to deal with waste that packs into the bed and stays there causing everyone's cyano and dino wrecked tanks-preemption-

Clearly that's a turbo setup, am curious about year four initially though, solid planning technique.

Plan to use a shallow sand bed (2”or less) with sand-sifting critters and regular maintenance as required.

I’ve always been a fan of black sand, however, will likely go with a medium grain white sand for this set up. Something small enough for gobies to feel at home, but big enough that it doesn’t get blown all over the tank.

Thank you for following. Your input is greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
NaH20nerd

NaH20nerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: started the stand build today. The basic structure is constructed. Need to sand it all down and skin it. Then apply a stain. Pictures will follow soon. Sized the stand to accommodate the Sapphire 39 sump by trigger systems. Hefty price tag on that equipment so it will be a few more paychecks before I can make the purchase. Patience is often developed through budget limitations.

OP
OP
NaH20nerd

NaH20nerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a rough sketch of how I’m planning to plumb the sump. Thinking this will give me a lot of configuration options for future updates. Take a look, let me know your thoughts.
fd07b8567a9a6bc0043a21b95e0e5623.jpg

OP
OP
NaH20nerd

NaH20nerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still have a lot of finish work to do on the stand. But I received my plumbing parts for the sump. (Still have to order the sump). One thing at a time. But progress is being made.

IMG_4772.JPG

If I’ve correctly configured the plumbing, all that’s missing from the plumbing package is the pipe. Planning on buying stock schedule 40pvc from Lowe’s and painting it to match the sump.

clark griswold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates? Been looking at this same setup? Any feedback on the tideline overflow? Ease of setup? Hard to find info on those overflows.

OP
OP
NaH20nerd

NaH20nerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates? Been looking at this same setup? Any feedback on the tideline overflow? Ease of setup? Hard to find info on those overflows.

My apologies, had to take a break from the set up due to a recent move. Unfortunately, I don’t have any new info just yet. I abandoned my wood stand due to it warping and wobbling. I’m in the process of ordering extruded aluminum from 80/20 to build a stand that is stronger, lighter and more durable than a wooden stand.

I have not found any evidence on the proper way to install the tideline overflow. They only come with one gasket for the bulkheads penetrating the glass. Seems like a leak waiting to happen. Let me know if you have any info on that. I emailed DFW for official instructions but they have so far not responded.

OP
OP
NaH20nerd

NaH20nerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
80/20 stand is on order, should have it just after Christmas. I asked Santa for the Trigger Systems Sapphire sump...and I’ve been a good boy this year so feeling pretty good about it. I started pulling out my old stuff from storage in preparation for the build. Retro fitted the BRS Dual reactor to accommodate independent flow settings when attached to the manifold. More to come very soon!!!
7019c19e36354a6ca925ffb287d78240.jpg

OP
OP
NaH20nerd

NaH20nerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
80/20 stand (phase 1) is here and assembled!! Still have to order the sliding door kit and some trim pieces...but everything came in and fit perfectly!! No cutting, no drilling. Just perfect!! Finally a bit of progress. Tank is off the ground!!!

OP
OP
NaH20nerd

NaH20nerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Christmas cane early!! I cannot even begin to tell you how excited I am. Trigger Systems Sapphire 39” Sump arrived today thanks to my favorite. Even more striking in person!! Can’t wait to slide it in under the 80/20 Stand.

This 65 gallon planet aquariums tank has been sitting on the floor for a year (this hobby is expensive). Luckily, my 10gal Nano is keeping me satisfied while I piece together the equipment for this set up.

Also, thanks to all the people posting their picks of their new builds, teaches me something new and gives me fresh ideas everyday. I think the build is prolly more exciting than the day to day reefing, but they have different degrees of happiness.

Merry Christmas everyone, more pics to come as things start to come together. Soon I will be Plumbing this tank!!!
b89b1f24e9b622276877eab30a43f448.jpg

OP
OP
NaH20nerd

NaH20nerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plumbing in progress. I feel like there are too many possibilities for leaks. Excitement meter has tapered off a lil’ bit. Starting to wish I had used some flexible tubing instead. Kudos to all your hard plumbers out there. This is harder than it looks!!
6a0961a4804a6960e02987fe5f34d289.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 45 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.4%
Back