New Tank Cycling: Bacteria or Algae?

SavageReefGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reef2reef community I recently made my dream transition from fresh to saltwater. My setup is a 14gallon (52L) IM peninsula with dry rock and live sand on day 34. The current equipment on the tank is an ato, biopure gems and recently added my skimmer to begin nutrient export and breaking it in. Lighting also got turned on recently for 6hrs a day, AI Prime 16hd. I am also running floss right now. I make my own ro/di water and there is also no fish yet. Cycled with Dr.Tims+Ammonia and supplemented with microbacter7. The tank was covered for 3 weeks with lowered salinity and raised temp to grow the beneficial bacteria.
Levels:
NH3/4: 0
N02: 0.25
N03: 10
Phosphate: 0.0

My question is about identifying the growth that is on my entire tank(-sand)(it was on the glass but recently cleaned it, doesn't look malicious but i want to know if i should take action. Some forums i have found suggest it might simply be the bacteria, as it is slimy to the touch. Or that it might be bryozoans or foram, or possibly hydroids. They are invisible until you get close, they are tiny white growths that move in the water flow, i will attach some images and a video. Have I just been successful in colonizing the bacteria (and it will die off with time and scavenging) or is this a pest i should take action against? IMG_1223.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1217.mp4
    14.1 MB

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience, grasshopper. The tank is new. Things are gonna happen for the next year or so. Let it ride. Hold the course. Read up on the stickies here... New to Saltwater & Reef Aquariums? Post Here Then, exercise some more patience!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back