New tank designing - need some help

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to design our new tank and was wondering if anyone that uses google sketch already has a model made up so I can just edit it.

Here is what I have so far on my own.

I'm really just trying to see what different dimensions "look" like.

I'm still trying to decide on the height of the tank - I'm thinking 30" is about right.

I like the look of a 3'x3'x30", but want something bigger.

Any ideas? I'd like to stick in the 220g range.

tank.jpg

litenyaup

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ 30" tall u need to remember to have enough light to get to the bottom of the tank. it looks like a cool design. keep posting on the progress!

OP
OP
Sikryd

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ 30" tall u need to remember to have enough light to get to the bottom of the tank. it looks like a cool design. keep posting on the progress!

The aspect ratio is off to me - I think 26" looks better.
Light won't be an issue since I think I'm going to go with lumenmax's.

Mainly looking for the right "design", that looks and feels right.

tank.jpg

litenyaup

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i had a 170.....6' x 18" x 30" and i was a pain to reach to the bottom. other than that it looked great!! the face value of it was amazing. you have to just go with what you want....the size that fits the wall and what looks right to you.

OP
OP
Sikryd

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i had a 170.....6' x 18" x 30" and i was a pain to reach to the bottom. other than that it looked great!! the face value of it was amazing. you have to just go with what you want....the size that fits the wall and what looks right to you.

Yeah, I forgot the "regular" dimensions. I thougth my 125g was 30".

I'm leaning towards this - 240g

tank-1.jpg

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think 30" is perfect for the front to back measurement. It would be hard as hell to get to the back middle if you used 36". BTW your designing my dream tank, nice start :bigsmile: Any reason for the 60" long and not 72"? Space? 72" X 30" X 24" would be nice.

amore169

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My build is going to be 72-42-28 rimless with external Beananimal overflow.

OP
OP
Sikryd

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think 30" is perfect for the front to back measurement. It would be hard as hell to get to the back middle if you used 36". BTW your designing my dream tank, nice start :bigsmile: Any reason for the 60" long and not 72"? Space? 72" X 30" X 24" would be nice.

I'm still deciding on the 60" or 72" - I am more worried about the aspect ration and visual look of the tank - I want more of a cubish reef look - not a lenthy one.

If you scroll down to where the tank pics are in the link below, you will find a template for their design.

Advanced Aquarist's Online Magazine - Feature Article: 3D Modeling for Aquarium Projects

I could make a design for you once I get home, so let me know if you need any help.

Cool, thanks Luciano

My build is going to be 72-42-28 rimless with external Beananimal overflow.

What is a beananimal overflow?

I must have been asleep at the wheel - I was mistaking 30" high with 20"

I was wondering why it looked "off"

There are the dimensions I am thinking about - it keeps it in the 180g range too.

tank-2.jpg

amore169

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if I can link another wesite but the Beananimal Silent Overflow is worth to take a look at, is a modified system to the Herbie system, there's a very long thread on RC, check it out.

OP
OP
Sikryd

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the two other versions I am considering -

30" - ~180g

tank30.jpg

72" ~225g

tank72.jpg

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I love 60" tanks. Obviously the shorther height you go, the more it looks like a "shallow" reef. I really like the 60"L x 36"W x 24"H size. I think my next tank will be an ELOS 160XL, which is roughly 63"L X 32"W x 24"H. My AGE was 48"L x 36"W x 24"H, and the front to back depth is absolutely awesome, much better (IMO) than overall length.

If you're considering a tang or two I would lean for 72" long though...

OP
OP
Sikryd

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I love 60" tanks. Obviously the shorther height you go, the more it looks like a "shallow" reef. I really like the 60"L x 36"W x 24"H size. I think my next tank will be an ELOS 160XL, which is roughly 63"L X 32"W x 24"H. My AGE was 48"L x 36"W x 24"H, and the front to back depth is absolutely awesome, much better (IMO) than overall length.

If you're considering a tang or two I would lean for 72" long though...

I love the 48"x36"x24" look. More of a cubish shallow reef.
You just can't get that look if you go bigger than 48" - thats where my problem is! I want a cubish shallow, just bigger.
That is why I am leaning more towards a 72"x30"x20" - then I won't have any issues with having a couple nice acanthuras (Achilles is what I really want to get)

Here is a quick rendition of the area of the basement I have been looking at putting it in. The room behind the fish tank will be a bathroom with shower.
I'm still designing the basement so I'm trying to figure out the best layout as far as space, and a good viewable area for the tank. AND if and when we sell this place, I want to make sure that we aren't losing any square footage of "usuable" space due to the layout.

basementtank-1.jpg

blinddog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 31in deep tank it is hard and tuff to clean and get to the bottom but i looks grate I love it

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back