New tank incoming.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hello everyone. Got an email from the owner asking I make a post here to introduce myself. Ive been browsing silently for about a month or two preparing for my new tank thread didnt want to bore anyone with the cycle.

This will be my first saltwater tank. Have had loads of freshwater but was out of the hobby for maybe almost 10 years before around March impulse buying a 125 for Discus and Angels. It is doing fantastic about 18 total species 75ish I think total fish(forgot count and lost care as i just focus stability waiting for my store to get the last 3 Discus i want to add i. Stock)in the tank eating me out of house and home.... If youre interested I'll include a small bit of it here and there in my sw thread. When i make it.

I'm based in Orlando, FL. Received my new RS Reefer 200xl G2 on 19/7 as a I think 37th? Birthday present to myself. Officially started the cycle 1/8 cant wait to share and bounce ideas and good conversation with everyone! I tried to attach some teasers but the forum could only go so far back in my phones file system and wont let me preview it seems the small tile preview of rhe picture before uploading it. So I will have to try and have a go on the laptop soon.

First question I have to ask. My buddy who conned me into this money sink is questioning my resolve to run the tank at 75-76°F. I get most run 78 good for them. All resellers and guide sites say 72/73-78. 76 is my ambient daytime home temp so I am looking to save energy and the life of my heaters. This is fine i shouldnt expect problems so long as 75-76 is stable yes? I dont NEED to run the magical 78?
Welcome! I see you're in Orlando. Go see Ann @Living Reef Orlando ! She's awesome!

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Wow thats a big change! Hows it feel having seasons? Worth having to ship all the corals? im on the seasons side untile i atatt shopping for corals at least!

Its not so bad here. I do pay extra now to get the corals shipped vs picking them up in person. I shop my corals from fellow reefers here in the forums with great success and often for a great deal too. I do miss my days of walking into World Wide Corals or Top Shelf Aquatics and just plucking out my favs. lol

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bienvendos a reeflandia

glad you joined - as you read more you will find out why different folks believe in different temps..

I run mine at 79 because it seems to grow SPS a little tiny bit faster, but maybe not...

also agree equipment will bump it up a bit

100.gif
100.gif

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! as already stated, temperature stability is more important than the absolute temperature. My home usually runs around 77 degrees in the summer. I run my tank at about 78 degrees because it is easier and less expensive to heat the tank a degree or two than to cool it by a degree or two. Also, like it was mentioned above, your pumps and lights will likely raise the temperature slightly.

R2R-Welcome3.jpg

OP
OP
C

ColonelCrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the memes guys! The IT meme seemed so applicable to a new reefer with somewhat of an idea of what hes getting into! Thanks again all for the warm welcome, so appreciated!

So excited for starting the new tank thread sadly today is still only day 10 of the cycle and ive been pretty adament i want to stick to an all natural startup. Its pure rodi water tossed a nice sized shrimp from the local grocer in and just waiting it out.

Ive attached a couple pictures for funzies. I plan to add something else smallish in the back left to grow something on while also maybe adding a cave in it

The rock looking like godzilla wasnt intentional as i was building it up trying to create space and caves while allowing foraximum light penetration as well as water flow. It just ended up looking like godzilla due to the limited space in the tank.

Im confident once corals start being placed and filling in space it will look fantastic especially in the "chest cavity" area whos picture im saving for the build thread--i anticipate or hope will fill in quite lovely!

The top down view is just because its the first picture of the tank ivr taken that actually reminded me of being in the ocean while also showing what i hope is enough depth to create a really great scene! :)

Attachments

• 20220807_192701.jpg
    20220807_192701.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 20220807_192329.jpg
    20220807_192329.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 16

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. Got an email from the owner asking I make a post here to introduce myself. Ive been browsing silently for about a month or two preparing for my new tank thread didnt want to bore anyone with the cycle.

This will be my first saltwater tank. Have had loads of freshwater but was out of the hobby for maybe almost 10 years before around March impulse buying a 125 for Discus and Angels. It is doing fantastic about 18 total species 75ish I think total fish(forgot count and lost care as i just focus stability waiting for my store to get the last 3 Discus i want to add i. Stock)in the tank eating me out of house and home.... If youre interested I'll include a small bit of it here and there in my sw thread. When i make it.

I'm based in Orlando, FL. Received my new RS Reefer 200xl G2 on 19/7 as a I think 37th? Birthday present to myself. Officially started the cycle 1/8 cant wait to share and bounce ideas and good conversation with everyone! I tried to attach some teasers but the forum could only go so far back in my phones file system and wont let me preview it seems the small tile preview of rhe picture before uploading it. So I will have to try and have a go on the laptop soon.

First question I have to ask. My buddy who conned me into this money sink is questioning my resolve to run the tank at 75-76°F. I get most run 78 good for them. All resellers and guide sites say 72/73-78. 76 is my ambient daytime home temp so I am looking to save energy and the life of my heaters. This is fine i shouldnt expect problems so long as 75-76 is stable yes? I dont NEED to run the magical 78?

Belated Welcome! Glad you joined and that you have critical mind to analyse info people give. Already good advice here, and perhaps as you already suspected deep water fish and reefs are always at cooler temperatures - Texas Flower Garden Reef Sanctuary anyone?!
https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/ocean/sanctuaries/flower-garden.html

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you in Orlando:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

OP
OP
C

ColonelCrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Belated Welcome! Glad you joined and that you have critical mind to analyse info people give. Already good advice here, and perhaps as you already suspected deep water fish and reefs are always at cooler temperatures - Texas Flower Garden Reef Sanctuary anyone?!
https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/ocean/sanctuaries/flower-garden.html

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you in Orlando:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:
Cheers! Yes i am thinking i might be starting my build thread this weekend(fingers crossed) ive just been waiting for cycle and trying to create a stable enviornment for my first additions hoping the the balance will be easier to reattain with the added bio.

I feel like i am really close have loads of pics and stories with a friend to share from my learning process to hopefully start a new build thread with loads to discus. Look at, maybe discus and hopefully encourage loads of suggestions, advice and whateer else to spend my time sifting through and learning rather than throwing flaming 100$ bills into the tank

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back