cnmonetti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey another question, definitely have an emergency on my hands and need to know what to do ASAP. As much input as I can get would be appreciated. I have a 29 gallon tank about 3 months old housing two ocellaris clowns and a bunch of mushroom corals. 3 days ago we added some new tank mates 4 trochus snails to clean up some brown algae were having and a bubble tip anemone. We watched our fish closely to see how they were reacting making sure they were ok. They seemed just fine, swimming well, eating well, the first 2 days nothing was different the anemone was doing good, the snails seemed like they were moving, all was well. Then on the 3rd day we notice a white spot on one of our clowns, we were sure it was ICH. We had looked at the fish the day before and nothing was on it we have videos showing that all was ok. So it had a white spot and wan now laying on the bottom of the tank swimming on occasion but completely debilitated as it seemed. Not even an hour goes by and it passed away along with one of our snails. I’m just trying to understand how it all happened within a span of a few hours, I thought it takes a couple of days for ICH to take effect. What could have caused this? Could it have been the new tank mates, the algae, stress? Why did it pass away so quickly after only having the spot apear less than a day ago. And is our other crownfish in danger of getting it being in the tank with it before. What could have caused this? And what can we do to ensure the others won’t get it? Please help I’m pretty upset and want to know what went wrong??

OP
OP
C

cnmonetti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So an update, we just had the lights all turned off in the tank and in the room and we discovered some parasite looking insects. Here’s a picture, does anyone know what this is? Could this be the cause of our clowns death? Should we be concerned?

Attachments

• 876544B4-9E9B-4D78-A4BF-2DD27D6C12BD.jpeg
    876544B4-9E9B-4D78-A4BF-2DD27D6C12BD.jpeg
    100.6 KB · Views: 110
  • D67128CD-4FD9-4954-BA54-E177B5501BBE.jpeg
    D67128CD-4FD9-4954-BA54-E177B5501BBE.jpeg
    94.2 KB · Views: 107

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does not sound like ICH at all, but I don’t know what I could be. Please provide as much info as you can about your tank and parameters, so others can help you diagnose the issue.

timry2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do a search on Brooklynella hostilis. See if fish displayed any signs. I lost a pair back in the day in a matter of 4 days

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet and Brook both kill very quickly. Whatever it was, your other fish could definitely be infected also. Do you have a small 10g or similar tank you can set up quickly as a bare bottom/HOB filter QT tank? The medications you will likely need to dose are not compatible with invertebrates or corals…

OP
OP
C

cnmonetti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does not sound like ICH at all, but I don’t know what I could be. Please provide as much info as you can about your tank and parameters, so others can help you diagnose the issue.
Parameters checked once every 3 to 5 days depending on water quality. Most recent levels:
PH: 8.4
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite(2): 0 ppm
Nitrate(3): 0 ppm
Alkalinity: 250 ppm
Specific Gravity: 1.025

Water is changed every week and a half to every 2 weeks.
Second clown has not showed any weird behaviors, the only thing I've noticed recently is that he gets spooked when we move quickly, he swimming to a little corner that's hidden and comes out after a few seconds. We have noticed a little black spot on his tip fin I don't believe he has had this previously. Can ICH produce black spot? Could this mean it's been infected? He has not shown any changes apart from this, he is super curious and speedy likes to move around the tank and explore. and this has not changed since we've gotten him. Please help?

OP
OP
C

cnmonetti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do a search on Brooklynella hostilis. See if fish displayed any signs. I lost a pair back in the day in a matter of 4 days
I'll check this right now. The fish that passed was always more slow and would stay in one general area. We thought it would be the female seeing as it was definitely more aggressive then our other one and would try and bite or head bud all the time. I looked up the symptoms they experience having Brooklynella hostilis and I'm not to sure it's what was going on. It happened so fast all that was noted was the white spot, it not being able to swim very much anymore, laying on it's side at the bottom in the sand. Swimming here and there but going back to the bottom, then passing. There was no tire to even understand what was going on, was really confused.

OP
OP
C

cnmonetti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have an extra tank I may need to get it. What is the medication I would need to treat him? How can I know if he really has been infected or not?

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kit do you use? The snail passing right after the fish makes me think water quality ich velvet brook etc wouldn't effect the snail. And having no detectable nitrate is pretty unlikely for a 3 month old tank.

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The snail dying could be coincidental also.

For a QT tank, you’ll need a 10 gallon tank (the basic 10g aqueon’s from Petco are perfect), a heater, and a HOB filter like an aquaclear with only mechanical filtration (take out the carbon). You can get a hood and cheap light for it if you want, but honestly, a piece of cardboard and ambient room light is fine. An air stone isn’t a bad idea also, if you don’t already have one.

See this stickied thread for more info and medication recommendations:

timry2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a

CORALIFE MARINE FILTER WITH PROTEIN SKIMME​

On my QT tank. Skims, filters and you can use a 15 watt submersible heater. I’ve used this for about 3 years now. Qt all of your fish for a minimum of 90 days

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a

CORALIFE MARINE FILTER WITH PROTEIN SKIMME​

On my QT tank. Skims, filters and you can use a 15 watt submersible heater. I’ve used this for about 3 years now. Qt all of your fish for a minimum of 90 days

90 days???

timry2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
90 days???
Yelp, 90 days ensure there is no ick which has a long gestation period. Have you ever tried breaking down a 200 gallon reef to catch a sick fish. Its not fun. But taking the extra precautions preserves my livestock which as you know ain’t cheap. I use a 10 gallon QT bare bottom with small 1” pvc for my inverts. And a 20 gallon for my fish with 2” pvc pieces. You get to train them to eat the food you feed your tank, you get to figure out personalities which help prevent bullying

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I could agree with a 90day fallow period. But, not 90 days of treatment for ich.

Edit: I guess 90 days for inverts and corals.. Since you can't medicate those.

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could agree with a 90day fallow period. But, not 90 days of treatment for ich.

Edit: I guess 90 days for inverts and corals.. Since you can't medicate those.
Yelp, 90 days ensure there is no ick which has a long gestation period. Have you ever tried breaking down a 200 gallon reef to catch a sick fish. Its not fun. But taking the extra precautions preserves my livestock which as you know ain’t cheap. I use a 10 gallon QT bare bottom with small 1” pvc for my inverts. And a 20 gallon for my fish with 2” pvc pieces. You get to train them to eat the food you feed your tank, you get to figure out personalities which help prevent bullying

To each their own, but I trust Jay Hemdal’s protocols of 62 days for QT and 45 days fallows at 81 degrees.

OP
OP
C

cnmonetti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kit do you use? The snail passing right after the fish makes me think water quality ich velvet brook etc wouldn't effect the snail. And having no detectable nitrate is pretty unlikely for a 3 month old tank.
We use this kit listed below and yes we had a spike in nitrates for about a week due to algae growth but generally has been at 0 for quite some time.

Attachments

• 945161 -center-1.jpeg
    945161 -center-1.jpeg
    146 KB · Views: 61

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We use this kit listed below and yes we had a spike in nitrates for about a week due to algae growth but generally has been at 0 for quite some time.
You should consider saving up for better test kits if you plan to stay in this hobby. Hanna ulr phosphate, nyos or Hanna hr nitrate, to list a couple

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back