New tank slime

Kurt Hammel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been involved in the hobby for over 25 years and just had a new tank setup after the last one started leaking. I had to hire the local fish store guy to set it up because of a bad back. They used my base rock that is over 25 years old and brought new sand. I am having a dirty white slime growing over the rocks and sand that I have never seen before and am not sure what to do to get rid of it. Has anybody seen this before?

IMG_0687.JPG

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WELCOME to R2R!!!
You are likely having some sort of bacterial growth due to the new sand. Try and siphon it out and see how long it takes to grow back. If you could tell us your parameters that might help to narrow down or exclude some possible culprits. Also, how long did it take to appear and how rapid is the growth? How long has it been present? Is it spreading, receding or just kind of in stasis?
Let's get this solved. There are a ton of very knowledgable people here to help.
Share and like often!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome home, you will love it here!

Color-wise it looks like diatoms. Consistency-wise it looks like cyano bacteria. Even though you’re using old rock you often still get various blooms. My 500 gallon wall tank used sand and older rock and it’s having cyano bacteria issues like nothing I’ve seen—- or I’ve forgotten how bad it can get. It’s starting to clear a little bit but it’s not fun. I’m also seeing some dinoflagellates so that’s fun.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 48 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.7%
Back