New to hobby! I'm nervous!

Fragmented Wolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, everybody.

As the title states, I'm new to the hobby... Well, I guess that's not entirely true. I remember having a saltwater aquarium in my house in the mid 90s and recall my mother killing a fish nearly every month! Hopefully I don't continue that trend. I actually feel like it's impossible, actually. We have so many resources available today that we just didn't back then.

I've got the 13.5 gallon Evo all in one that's yet to even be cycled, but I'm hoping water will be in it around a 5 days from now! I plan on having two Clowns, a Blenny, and not sure about a possible fourth fish... What you guys think? Four fish too crowded or could it work?

Also planning my corals later down the line. I LOVE toxic green hammers and I think Zoanthids are awesome.

Welp, any tips for a new guy?
Some things to mention. I plan on quarantining all my fish and corals. I've already purchased a new 10 gallon for that purpose. I'm going to attempt copper treatment and once that's complete, finish up with general cure in food and in water.

Oh! And I wanted to know what everyone's preferred method is for putting rocks together in awesome shapes. I want a sick overhang in the tank. I've heard everything from zip-ties to rods of some sort that are inserted after dripping holes?

Thanks for reading!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
ezgif-2-1c3e6bb1cc81.gif

Birdbrains?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, re-welcome to the best hobby ever XD

I would suggest that you skip all those ideas and get some good sized clownfishes and a Nem for that tank. Clownfishes will not act natural with other fishes in the tank and you can always make a community tank if you want to mix several fish- and stinger- species :)

Regarding pple "killing fishes once a month", it often happens because the fishstores neglect to tell folks that ocean caught fishes, have roughly a 50/50 chance of surviving the process. Often the stores will allow you to believe it was Your mistake somehow, because that persuades people who are new to the hobby to buy more and more, in their attempt to make the ocean caught fishes survive the transfer in the first place.

I find that new lifeforms easier accepts, their new home, if you flush the water column with zooplankton when they are introduced. Even when the zooplankton is depleted, the fishes and stingers will believe the place has PLENTY-O-LIFE in it, and therefor it helps newcomers accept the tank as a place they can live in.

Remember when you use quarantine, to avoid stressing the fishes, stress will block their functions for a full 12hour period.

Best wishes and good luck with everything:)

Last edited:

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
null.jpg

Welcome to R2R! Sounds like you've been doing some research. great! That's the first step to success. Just take it slow, plan your build carefully, and ask lots of questions. And pictures! Lots and lots of pictures. Glad to have you with us.

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R @Fragmented Wolf
It’s awesome that you’ve joined us here at Reef Excellence.

Don't be nervous, be excited.
You’ll be a Reefing GURU in no time with the help of all the
super helpful
super friendly,
super awesome
super positive, and
super knowledgeable, smart & clever participants that frequent this forum.

C U round the Reef

Steve :D

1581196043945.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on quarantining all my fish and corals. I've already purchased a new 10 gallon for that purpose. I'm going to attempt copper treatment and once that's complete, finish up with general cure in food and in water.

Welcome to R2R! You'll need two separate tanks if you're quarantining fish and corals as corals cannot be treated with copper. Purchase a Hanna high range copper checker. You'll be glad you did! It makes monitoring levels SOOOO much easier. :)

When you get up and running, don't forget to show us some pictures. :cool:

1GDf.gif

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Benefits of R2R- we’ll keep those nerves calm and help you along the way
Welcome to the R2R community !!

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 42 28.4%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 70 47.3%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back