New to reefing - need lighting recommendations

Seachelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I'm very excited because I just purchased my Cade 600 Pro Reef tank, but I have no idea what kind of light would be best for it. It's a 24"X27"X24 cube tank. I am wanting to have fish and some easy corals, like LPS's, but may want to try a few SPS corals and/or nems later. Do you all have recommendations for a light that would be suitable? I prefer one that can be mounted on the tank instead of hung, and budget is a consideration, since I spent more on the tank than I really wanted to. Is buying a 2nd hand light an option? Or would I be better off going with a new light? Thanks for any help!

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Current USA Orbit Marine light fixture. It sits right on the tank and I love the adjustable weather patterns. Probably a bit gimmicky, but the automated day/night cycle and the price were right for me. I've just got a smattering of mushrooms, but I'm hoping to add some variety soon since my tank's been up for a year. Had the light since December and the fact you can control the Loop powerheads with it, too has been so convenient.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used many lights reefbreeders MH currentusa and currently run noopsyche v2
Reefbreeders probably my favorite of all of them. They are more expensive than noopsyche which the new version is on sale from 250 to 150.
Reefbreeders would be about 400
Current USA never did really well for me as far as growing corals goes.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have one, but I think the best bang for the buck light that will certainly grow corals is a vivarspectra.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have viparspectra lights on my tank and they've worked well for me.
If it were me and I was looking for new lights and budget was a consideration I'd strongly consider the new noopsyches since they just listed them on sale for 40% off. I have never used them but I know the older version seemed to be well liked for the cost of them. The biggest complaint I ever heard was regarding the setup process which is apparently a pain.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a pain just weird I have 6 all sync well
110B63F4-841E-419A-BE5F-67718F50A1D2.jpeg

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I'm very excited because I just purchased my Cade 600 Pro Reef tank, but I have no idea what kind of light would be best for it. It's a 24"X27"X24 cube tank. I am wanting to have fish and some easy corals, like LPS's, but may want to try a few SPS corals and/or nems later. Do you all have recommendations for a light that would be suitable? I prefer one that can be mounted on the tank instead of hung, and budget is a consideration, since I spent more on the tank than I really wanted to. Is buying a 2nd hand light an option? Or would I be better off going with a new light? Thanks for any help!
just a helpful tip, esp. with lights, give ppl a $$ range for your budget because that word has different meaning to everyone, literally. You'll get far more useful suggestions!

OP
OP
Seachelle

Seachelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have viparspectra lights on my tank and they've worked well for me.
If it were me and I was looking for new lights and budget was a consideration I'd strongly consider the new noopsyches since they just listed them on sale for 40% off. I have never used them but I know the older version seemed to be well liked for the cost of them. The biggest complaint I ever heard was regarding the setup process which is apparently a pain.
Do you know where these are listed on sale? Thanks!

OP
OP
Seachelle

Seachelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just a helpful tip, esp. with lights, give ppl a $$ range for your budget because that word has different meaning to everyone, literally. You'll get far more useful suggestions!
You're right - I should have specified. I guess I'm trying to keep it under $500 for everything - mount, controller (if needed), etc. Thanks!

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look @ Ocean revive T247 lights.
Had a friend with them on a 90 & he could grow anything.
In fact I was just @ a store that used them over their coral tanks.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know where these are listed on sale? Thanks!
Here is a link to the thread I saw before seeing this one. I'm considering buying some for my tank.
They end up being $150 for the bigger lights, and a little more if you buy the ones with the brackets, and you basically have to buy a controller.
I don't need new lights but I could change out my lights on my tank for close to $500, which is cheap when you start looking at the more expensive brand lights. Noopsyche is somewhere between high end and black box leds IMO.
I bet shipping will take a while though since they ship from China.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend an AI Prime 16HD. If mounted around 12” above the water, it will cover that foot print and be well within par ratings for LPS and softies, and SPS and anemones higher up on the rock work. You can always add a second one down the line if you want some power for more light hungry corals. I would recommend against getting the AI Prime 32hd because it offers less customization and less power than 2 of the 16hds. If you get two of the 16s, you can spread them out a little and get better coverage, plus each of pucks in the 32 have around 20watts less of power versus the 16s. 2 16s would be around $60 more than the 32, plus you’d need two mounting arms instead of one, but IMO, that’s be the way to go.

Just yesterday I switched over to the 16, and I am really liking it so far. And yes, you can buy used, but I would recommend verifying the age of the lights (the box/serial # should allow you to find the manufacturing date, and if they were registered for the warranty, that can give you an idea of how old they are too. The one I got yesterday was used, and a little less than a year old, but it should easily last another 5 years if properly cared for.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Second hand lights are definitely an option!

For that tank size I'd personally recommend something like an AI 32 hydra, or Radion G4 or G5 XR15. These might be slight overkill for starting a tank but you'll be set for its life.

+1 All good options and you could add a second light down the road if needed. Flexible mounting options as well. These are within your budget event at new prices. The Radions are slightly higher.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would recommend an AI Prime 16HD. If mounted around 12” above the water, it will cover that foot print and be well within par ratings for LPS and softies, and SPS and anemones higher up on the rock work. You can always add a second one down the line if you want some power for more light hungry corals. I would recommend against getting the AI Prime 32hd because it offers less customization and less power than 2 of the 16hds. If you get two of the 16s, you can spread them out a little and get better coverage, plus each of pucks in the 32 have around 20watts less of power versus the 16s. 2 16s would be around $60 more than the 32, plus you’d need two mounting arms instead of one, but IMO, that’s be the way to go.

Just yesterday I switched over to the 16, and I am really liking it so far. And yes, you can buy used, but I would recommend verifying the age of the lights (the box/serial # should allow you to find the manufacturing date, and if they were registered for the warranty, that can give you an idea of how old they are too. The one I got yesterday was used, and a little less than a year old, but it should easily last another 5 years if properly cared for.
Another good option and good advice regarding purchasing used lights.

Here's a link to the Prime 16HD and Thomas has a good video:

ReefingMom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a new AI Prime 16HD on my cube and I love it. I also have 2 of their Hydra 32 HD's on my 90, which I bought used, only about a year old.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 15.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 58 45.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 44 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back