New to RODI setup

Zydan777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after not having access to Salt or RODI water I decided to slowly start setting up my own RODI setup. Right now I have a 50 GPD RODI 4 stage system. I am now wanting to start testing the water to see where it is at or I need to do more. What is a good inline TDS meter? Should I get a meter that reads before the DI and after the DI? Or one just after the DI?
What can I use for a storage tank?
I have no water lines near my garage for some reason (Older house) so I set it up under my kitchen sink with the waste line going to my fruit trees. Can I store the storage tank outside, I live in SoCal or will it get too hot?
How would I do the storage tank setup?

Shorething

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes a TDS meter before and after your DI cartridge let's you know when the resin gets exhausted. I would not use a white storage tank or any tank that will let sunlight penetrate that may cause algae

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I know all about the temps in SoCal.
Outside is not a good idea.
If you have no choice but to store outside then you need a SEALD container.
When I say sealed I am talking a fitted threaded or gasketed lid.
Wind will bring in dirt, and you could get other contaminants like bug sprays from the exterminator, or fertilizer from the lawn and so on.
It will need to be black. or covered so no light gets to it to prevent it from growing unwanted algae.

OP
OP
Zydan777

Zydan777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I know all about the temps in SoCal.
Outside is not a good idea.
If you have no choice but to store outside then you need a SEALD container.
When I say sealed I am talking a fitted threaded or gasketed lid.
Wind will bring in dirt, and you could get other contaminants like bug sprays from the exterminator, or fertilizer from the lawn and so on.
It will need to be black. or covered so no light gets to it to prevent it from growing unwanted algae.
I could set it up in my garage if I can run the line to in there. Do you or someone else know if it would be possible to run the 1/4 line about 50ft through the wall and ceiling from the RODI or is that to long?

OP
OP
Zydan777

Zydan777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am able to get some sealed plastic food grade drums fairly cheap here. People are selling some for about $20 a drum. The next step would be to set them up. I was thinking of putting them on a stand so that I can use gravity when filling up my smaller jugs. Would that work? Also what would have I to do for the drum to mix the salt? do I need some sort of pump or mixer device in there to mix the salt with the water?

FortyFour44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m actually building a stand this weekend with 2x4’s so that I can stack 2 55g drums in my basement, and run it up through the floor to my tank. I am using the Neptune DOS for automatic water changes, and a Neptune PMUP to pump rodi from the basement to my ATO. The PMUP should be able to handle that distance (works with or without an apex), or a basic dosing pump would definitely be able to handle that distance. Make sure you have a siphon break on the rodi line to prevent an unintended siphon. You can put a basic pump in the mixing container to mix salt. Anything will do really. If you take it a step further and get a pump that can pump the mixed saltwater directly to your tank from that distance, you can say goodbye to buckets forever.

Back