New to seahorses

CmMagenta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have 150 gallon tank I set up a year ago for soft corals and a mandarin goby. 2 weeks ago I added 4 seahorses and a fire goby. They don’t do much, so I would like to add more fish but would love suggestions first. I’m new to seahorses, is 4 enough? They seem super social with each other. I don’t want to over crowd the tank though. Plus the fat mandarin goby is my favorite fish so I want to make sure he is still getting all the little food around the tank. He’s got huge over this past year. What are your thoughts on adding to this tank, it’s my first saltwater aquarium and I’m still learning.

46D3EE01-2D86-403C-B39E-E3DD12429372.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1515.MOV
    31.9 MB

Afkomjorgen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have any advice, as seahorses are on my future dream tank list. But I just wanted to say you have a stunning tank! I’m sure they just love it in there. Congrats on your new additions.

OP
OP
CmMagenta

CmMagenta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I don’t have any advice, as seahorses are on my future dream tank list. But I just wanted to say you have a stunning tank! I’m sure they just love it in there. Congrats on your new additions.
Thank you

minorhero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of cycling my first seahorse tank so I have no first hand experience. There are some great facebook groups on seahorses though with a lot of experienced people if you don't get enough responses from this thread I suggest checking them out.

I do know the number of safe fish for seahorses is pretty small not only because of aggression from other fish but because the other fish will easily outcompete the seahorses for food, and getting these guys enough food is probably more then half the difficulty of owning them.

Are these erectus?

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try and keep small social fish that don’t like to hunt for food, wrasses would be of the list as they are notorious predators, although if you have a seahorse feeder food won’t be a problem. In my tank I used to feed them mysis every morning and that would do for the full day.
seahorses are social animals I’ve always seen a minimum of 3 is ideal.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back