New Trident?

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There is no reason to test them daily. Weekly maybe. Alk is the only test that should be done daily.

That said Coralvue didn’t do themselves any favors today. Very vague podcast. It was actual awful and turned me off of them. I don’t need any of this wait and find out crap. I want a price and a launch quarter. Money isn’t an issue. I want to know if it is worth me swapping out all my Apex stuff(which I don’t trust much) to all hydros. Or should I just stick with the Apex and not switch over?

If the Maven is $2,000 and then I need another $2500 in stuff to do what my apex does I’m not switching over. But if the Maven comes in around $1000 I can justify the swap. But time is money too and swapping to a new system will be a massive time investment.
I agree, the podcast was a disappointment. It is an interesting design and could be a great product, but without specifics on release date and cost, it ended up looking like an effort to take the wind out of the Neptune release.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no reason to test them daily. Weekly maybe. Alk is the only test that should be done daily.

That said Coralvue didn’t do themselves any favors today. Very vague podcast. It was actual awful and turned me off of them. I don’t need any of this wait and find out crap. I want a price and a launch quarter. Money isn’t an issue. I want to know if it is worth me swapping out all my Apex stuff(which I don’t trust much) to all hydros. Or should I just stick with the Apex and not switch over?

If the Maven is $2,000 and then I need another $2500 in stuff to do what my apex does I’m not switching over. But if the Maven comes in around $1000 I can justify the swap. But time is money too and swapping to a new system will be a massive time investment.
I love my apex and my trident but see no use for automatic testing on nutrients. That’s just me… if I didn’t have a controller maybe I’d go to hydros over Neptune idk… I have a hydros wave engine on my tank it works fine the app is pretty basic thou. I had my doubts in the trident but I got a brand new one in box through a trade so I gave it a shot… it works decently and shows me trends and that’s all I need to see or know, the values don’t mean much cause I can back them up with other test kits.. I just did a good cleaning 2 weeks ago on my trident and it’s held solid to my Hannah with all 3 measurements besides my alk changed by .2 which is nothing. I have more faith in my trident now and it’s pretty simple to maintain so it’ll stay.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a strange hobby or maybe it is a generational thing needing instant information, availability, and everything in between. Hydros information will come as they are ready. They have had time to assess the market and build upon that information. Neptune has the Trident and looked at their user base and went with an add on. As noted earlier if they did a redesign then existing userbase has to upgrade. Design an add on makes sense as N and P are not really needed. Those on the lower side and close to bingo will want to monitor daily so they don't zero out. Those on the high side will want to test daily or frequently so they can see their removal progression and don't do anything too fast. The LC dosing crowd may love this. Point is there is a reason. Also "WE" don't know if Neptune allows one to swap reagents in an existing Trident and test what they want ala cart.

We need more love and cowbell not negativity. Come on, we can do better.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All Neptune is doing is taking the same hardware and changing the software. I mean really, make an all in one tester for the main 5 and stop being cheap with product development! Now we will need two big identical units next to each other?

Hydros is going to start taking their market share of the controller biz and make Neptune start working for it again.
We can only hope Hydros brings it on, maybe a sub $700 price tags will put some heat on Neptune
I was really hoping this would be all 5. there goes the gype for me.
You mean hype ? or is your spell checker possessed like mine is?
If it wasn't such a goofy shape, you could stack the two. No room under the tank for two Salvadore Dali's.
it looks like something from a 60’s sci-fi movie… the footprint and size is clunky …they should sel a aftermarket “stackable” replacement cover in lieu of the “star trek-ish” retro thing ….
Looks like the new trident only does no3 and po4. I hope it’s half the size of the other one. No way i want that huge thing under my cabinet.
well at least the dang thing is hidden, someone at Neptune headquarters musta thought it would make a nice shelf adornment lol …stop complaining lol
finally, but we all know it will be way overpriced
$700 is nothing for 4 unnecessary test per day, be glad it’s not a subscription service ( or am I speaking too loudly?)
Curious how it’s priced since there’s competition already in this market.. either way I wouldn’t buy it cause my Hannah works just fine and it’s very simple to use and cheap lol.. I don’t see any need to track n03 and p04 more than once a week… I don’t even test it unless my corals look funny.. that’s maybe once every 2 weeks and it’s always acceptable numbers so I quit pretty much.
I suspect you are not a fan or “A.I” or the new Alexa enabled fish feeder lol

Connor At CoralVue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya. Too little too late. Coralvue announced already and it will make me switch over. Their are far more customer friendly compared to Neptune. Neptune just wants their money. Coralvue has literally gone to customer homes to help troubleshoot.

I expect Coralvue to announce launch dates tomorrow at 10am eastern on their stream. I’ll be making my orders asap.

LAUNCH will be available AT REEFAPALOOZA Orlando, and then shipping start the following week. :) So, VERY soon.

Connor At CoralVue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

We get it, not evvveryone loves a good tease. However, I feel that we did release a good bit of information...like it can test TWO aquariums. Gotta hold some features close to the chest.

However, I did read your message and still cannot confirm price or release. As David said, we are putting this one through the paces...and while I WILL NOT confirm price, 2k is a wild guess.

Hopefully this direct response instilled a big more confidence and turned you back on! Give us a call w/ any questions, we love to answer and engage with users...we are always listening.

As for what you want to do with HYDROS....it's totally up to you. If you want to only start with MAVEN, you can as its a standalone device with SENSE and DRIVE PORTS. However, most Maven users will have this apart of their ever HYDROS Collective, where you may link up as many Controls as needed to do all the jobs you wish.

That the glory of HYDROS for those looking into the system. You can start small and not have to worry about starting over, just expand, and expand, to get the ports needed!

drtechno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG. You guys are so negative !

I literally wept when I watched the video on their Facebook page. The dramatic music, slow zoomouts and pans. I mean, seriously, you guys have no appreciation for the DOS pump turning in slow mo?! I literally had shivers going up my spine. The heart beat at the end ?? I mean COME ON. What a tough crowd. What more could you guys possibly want?

But I will tell you one thing - if they increased the pump speed during priming on the DOS, I would pay double. Priming these is such a massive PITA.

Gotfrogs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the new trident only does no3 and po4. I hope its half the size of the other one. No way i want that huge thing under my cabinet.
I would bet money it is the same hardware with different software to accommodate the different tests. This significantly cuts down on development and production cost. I would not mind this if the Trident was better designed. Unfortunately the Trident design is not very polished and is a space hog in smaller tank stands.

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I was hoping they would release a new trident with a new case. The current one is awful. I'm always concerned if the lines are blocked when I close the drawer.
If you have a 3d printer you can print a better "Mini Trident" case or buy one, or solicit the 3d printing threads for someone to make and send you one.

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
We get it, not evvveryone loves a good tease. However, I feel that we did release a good bit of information...like it can test TWO aquariums. Gotta hold some features close to the chest.

However, I did read your message and still cannot confirm price or release. As David said, we are putting this one through the paces...and while I WILL NOT confirm price, 2k is a wild guess.

Hopefully this direct response instilled a big more confidence and turned you back on! Give us a call w/ any questions, we love to answer and engage with users...we are always listening.

As for what you want to do with HYDROS....it's totally up to you. If you want to only start with MAVEN, you can as its a standalone device with SENSE and DRIVE PORTS. However, most Maven users will have this apart of their ever HYDROS Collective, where you may link up as many Controls as needed to do all the jobs you wish.

That the glory of HYDROS for those looking into the system. You can start small and not have to worry about starting over, just expand, and expand, to get the ports needed!

I don’t think it’s gonna be 2k. But what is it? You gotta know. Stop toying with us. Is it going to be $699 or $1200?

If Launch is being sold at RAP(which sucks for those of us not going) when will we be able to order online?

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That said Coralvue didn’t do themselves any favors today. Very vague podcast. It was actual awful and turned me off of them. I don’t need any of this wait and find out crap.

i think they still think we are teenagers waiting for pc / console game details, trying to hype it up, when infact i can probably only count with one hand where actual teenagers would be able to afford a product like this.

slightly off topic but I just saw this aftermarket housing
Trident Aftermarket housing

Bah... i think the original creator was someone on R2R, and he openly shared his design for everyone.
I really hope he is getting some form of compensation from the vendors who are trying to profit off it.

But anyhow i 3d printed my own. At that price, your probably better just buying a Creality Ender 3 SE, and printing your own for a bit more.

Then you can print other stuff as well....

But here is how mine looks:
20240412_113113.jpg

Last edited:

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I would bet money it is the same hardware with different software to accommodate the different tests. This significantly cuts down on development and production cost. I would not mind this if the Trident was better designed. Unfortunately the Trident design is not very polished and is a space hog in smaller tank stands.

Print or buy the mini trident case.

I was hoping they would release a new trident with a new case. The current one is awful. I'm always concerned if the lines are blocked when I close the drawer.

See above.

That is good to hear. The YouTube video today gave me the impression that it could be many months before it ships.

It is many months before it ships. The “Launch” is not the Maven tester. The Launch is a new hydros controller with different inputs. It’s almost a perfect starting point. Almost.

Thanks for that link...expensive though. Tough to add another $140 to the price of the Trident.

I’d be happy to print it for you for cost. In fact I have a black one ready to ship. I believe that’s about $50 but could confirm. If interested message me.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 77 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back