Newbie Needing Help

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just looked into them, they look awesome!! Slowly getting closer to having everything picked out and ready to purchase!
I researched them all and am glad I decided to get them. I have used the Tidal and my Eheim 250 canister. The latter is a pain to clean. But now I am upgrading to a 40 breeder with sump. It's a lot of expense but I hope worthwhile in the end.

OP
OP
J

jacobboo123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I researched them all and am glad I decided to get them. I have used the Tidal and my Eheim 250 canister. The latter is a pain to clean. But now I am upgrading to a 40 breeder with sump. It's a lot of expense but I hope worthwhile in the end.
Mine is a 40 cube. No room to put a sump inside the stand, but love the way the stand looks with the tank. I am trying to figure out how to work around that. I dont mind doing a hang on the back, but was trying to avoid them, as I think they can sometimes be a eye sore. But if I have to go with one then so be it. The research ive done on the Aqua Clear filters and the Tidals are saying that sometimes the Tidal is loud? Not sure what that is. Not sure which to go with. I may add a skimmer in the future but plan to have more rock in the tank then fish so hopefully that will help filter as well.

OP
OP
J

jacobboo123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said the noise on the Tidal was good?

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it depends. The 55 will be what your tank exactly needs. But you can never over filter a tank plus getting the larger one would position you for an upgrade. Or it could be a backup for a larger system in the future. I will be using mine in the future when I travel and turning off the sump. Plus it is my backup. Another consideration is how large is it? Compare the size of one or the other. The 75 might be more than you want to look at.

Yes, they are quiet.

OP
OP
J

jacobboo123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it depends. The 55 will be what your tank exactly needs. But you can never over filter a tank plus getting the larger one would position you for an upgrade. Or it could be a backup for a larger system in the future. I will be using mine in the future when I travel and turning off the sump. Plus it is my backup. Another consideration is how large is it? Compare the size of one or the other. The 75 might be more than you want to look at.

Yes, they are quiet.
This will be my main display tank. I plan to set up a small quarantine system but the 40 will be the display pretty tank. I understand that the more filtration the better, and that the 75 would be bigger. That isnt really an issue as long as its a nice filter and its quite. It will be going in the bedroom.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be my main display tank. I plan to set up a small quarantine system but the 40 will be the display pretty tank. I understand that the more filtration the better, and that the 75 would be bigger. That isnt really an issue as long as its a nice filter and its quite. It will be going in the bedroom.
I would get the 75 then. I bought the 55 for my 29 gal.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of maybe using something like the Finnex Hang on back breeding box/ Refugium with the powerhead and putting the carbon and filter floss in that? maybe the heater is it fits. Could that be done or no??
I don’t have any hob equipment but I do know some people make refugiums the way you describe. As far as the heater, IME they need to be places where they’re not touching anything else. Hope that helps!!

OP
OP
J

jacobboo123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have any hob equipment but I do know some people make refugiums the way you describe. As far as the heater, IME they need to be places where they’re not touching anything else. Hope that helps!!
I was thinking that it wouldn't be hard to turn the refugium into a filter. I am just trying to find the best way to filter the tank besides a sump. On down the road I will build a bigger stand and run a sump but i think I can and should be able to run a filter just fine with no problems.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It occurred to me to tell you another thought about the Tidal filter. It will make some noise breaking in. Don't be alarmed. It will settle down and run quiet.

Eleni18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some HOB skimmers like the DELTEC have built in media chambers, so you can put a bag of carbon and sponge filter and you would not need a separate filter

Back