Newbie setup questions on leak detection and optical sensor

Steve1500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just hooked up my new Apex and I am having problems with the leak detection kit and optical sensor.

For the LDK, I followed the instructions but when I tested the detector (placed in small puddle), nothing happened. The only thing I can think of is that I did not turn the FMM port to auto detect but i don't know how to do that. Can anyone give me some tips and tell me how to make changes in the FMM port (in fusion or local)?

I also tried hooking up an optical sensor. To do this, the instructions say to follow the ATK task first, but I don't have an apex ATK and I believe that is for LOW water. I am trying to hook the optical sensor to a bucket to act as a backup reservoir for my skimmer and detect HIGH water. The sensor is simply to alert me if the water gets too high in the bucket. Any advice on how to get it operating?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not in front of my computer right now, so from (bad) memory .... go into the local dashboard, click on the modules icon. Select the FFM module. Select configure from a drop down menu that allows you to set the four inputs. I think they default to auto detect. Also make sure the plug is firmly seated in the FFM socket.

You have to program an outlet (either real or virtual) to take action based on the status of the switch. When you place the leak sensor onto a wet paper towel, the switch icon should toggle to closed. Likewise when the optical sensor becomes submerged.

You’d want a virtual outlet, say BUCKET FULL

FALLBACK OFF
SET OFF
IF SWITCH (whatever name the apex assigns) CLOSED THEN ON
DEFER 003:00 THEN ON

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Steve1500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Ca1ore, I went to the FMM module configuration box but the only options were: rename, configuration, update software and delete. Any other suggestions on where I could look?
I’m not in front of my computer right now, so from (bad) memory .... go into the local dashboard, click on the modules icon. Select the FFM module. Select configure from a drop down menu that allows you to set the four inputs. I think they default to auto detect. Also make sure the plug is firmly seated in the FFM socket.

You have to program an outlet (either real or virtual) to take action based on the status of the switch. When you place the leak sensor onto a wet paper towel, the switch icon should toggle to closed. Likewise when the optical sensor becomes submerged.

You’d want a virtual outlet, say BUCKET FULL

FALLBACK OFF
SET OFF
IF SWITCH (whatever name the apex assigns) CLOSED THEN ON
DEFER 003:00 THEN ON
Ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Configure = configuration; just select that to adjust the four ports. Can do it in fusion also (I just looked).

OP
OP
S

Steve1500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Configure = configuration; just select that to adjust the four ports. Can do it in fusion also (I just looked).
Thanks! I tried selecting auto in the configuration box but it’s still not detecting. I did it in local and fusion. Will probably submit a help ticket to apex. Appreciate your help!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say ‘it’s not detecting’ what do you mean? Attaching the FFM should create four new tiles (fusion will tell you there are new tiles available). These tiles should toggle between open and closed for switches as you test the sensor. Is that not happening? If not, you may have a duff FFM.

OP
OP
S

Steve1500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say ‘it’s not detecting’ what do you mean? Attaching the FFM should create four new tiles (fusion will tell you there are new tiles available). These tiles should toggle between open and closed for switches as you test the sensor. Is that not happening? If not, you may have a duff FFM.
The detectors nor the optical sensor are sensing the water puddle and therefore nothing is happening. The switch to the sensor did close and i receive texts/emails, but it is as dry as a baby's butt. I tried to turn it back on in the tile section (unlocked the lock) but it won't turn back on and I continually get the texts/emails. Short of removing the code, how do you reopen a switch? I tried sliding it, tapping it etc and nothing happens.

I do have a help ticket in with Apex to address the detectors/sensors not sensing moisture.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back