Newbie to corals!

Bmcbride95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just Added in a goniopora coral and after, untested my calcium and it’s at around 380-390ppm. It’s a little low and wondering how to increase it. I did A water change two days ago so maybe I lost Some? Also what’s the best reasonably priced light for it? It’s a 29 gal tank. Do I need A wave maker or something to increase the current? Thanks!

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a low demand tank, water changes should work just fine to replenish the Alk and Cal, depending on what salt you use. Do you currently have a powerhead in your tank. If not them I would recommend turning your tank over roughly 20 times. So a pump with a 300 gph should be fine. Softies and LPS don't need a ton of light like SPS, it just depends on what you are willing to spend on a light.

OP
OP
B

Bmcbride95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a low demand tank, water changes should work just fine to replenish the Alk and Cal, depending on what salt you use. Do you currently have a powerhead in your tank. If not them I would recommend turning your tank over roughly 20 times. So a pump with a 300 gph should be fine. Softies and LPS don't need a ton of light like SPS, it just depends on what you are willing to spend on a light.
Don’t they need a certain spectrum of light?

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t they need a certain spectrum of light?
They do need light, but it just depends on what your are willing to spend. I use a hybrid with radions for my SPS dominate tank. When I kept LPS I used a Maxspect Razor 200 light. For a 29 gal tank, a great light that will not break the bank would have to be a AI prime. It will give you more than enough par and the ability to adjust the light spectrum.

0utworld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can increase Ca by dosing Ca supplements, but if you don't have enough stony corals that consuming it, frequent water changes will suffice. For a small tank like that and if you don't want to upgrade in the future, I recommend the AI Prime 16HD. You definitely need a wave maker for a 29 gal.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi programmable/digital black box would work ,not too expensive

OP
OP
B

Bmcbride95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can increase Ca by dosing Ca supplements, but if you don't have enough stony corals that consuming it, frequent water changes will suffice. For a small tank like that and if you don't want to upgrade in the future, I recommend the AI Prime 16HD. You definitely need a wave maker for a 29 gal.
Any other lights a little cheaper? Not trying to break the bank on a light.

0utworld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any other lights a little cheaper? Not trying to break the bank on a light.
I understand how you're feeling and I felt that way at first. But if you go with something cheaper that may not reach the demands of your corals, you would be forced to spend extra money on a good light. Lights are one of the most expensive hardware in this hobby and for good reason. Compared to many high end lights on the market, AI Prime is the most cost effective/efficient IMO.

Jamesrup0411

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that ai prime is most effective per cost. Also look on the dry goods selling forum here for some used ones. I’m not against the black boxes, I’ve seen some good growth out of people that use them, just have to weigh your options with warranties and customer service if you ever would need it.

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand how you're feeling and I felt that way at first. But if you go with something cheaper that may not reach the demands of your corals, you would be forced to spend extra money on a good light. Lights are one of the most expensive hardware in this hobby and for good reason. Compared to many high end lights on the market, AI Prime is the most cost effective/efficient IMO.

Depends what you buy, Unit like Viparspectra is cheap, but will grow any coral you want without issues. Light are only one of the most expensive hardware if you want them to be. They can be, but dont have to.

@Bmcbride95 for cheap, no nonsense unit, look at mentioned Viparspectra 165W unit. No extra features that AI has, but it grows corals just the same. Keep in mind that all those extra features will not grow your coral any better or worse.

For your tank 1 VS unit would be more than enough

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 47 21.3%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 161 72.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.5%
Back