Newbie with a pico

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've got no saltwater experience and a 2 gallon cube. Bad idea? Yup. Still going to do it? Absolutely.

I've actually got the tank set up and cycling right now, now I'm rethinking what corals I want. Originally I was just going to do just softies, but looking at the size of the tank, I don't think that's going to be practical long term. This is an 8" cube, full of rock right now. There's not much growing space, especially if something decides to grow fast. So now I'm considering some LPS as well.

What I'm considering:
-Duncan
-Acan / micromussa
- Blastomussa
- candy cane
- zoa garden

Light is an adjustable Coralife 50/50 20 watt cfl
I actually love pico tanks! I’m excited to see yours. I made a 3 gallon pico as a challenge to myself and it needs daily attention. After a few months of success, I tore it down and put it in my bigger tank

I think pico tanks are a great teaching tool to new salt water people-it gets you in the testing habit daily, water top off, feeding the correct amount. It’s not forgiving at all, so if you can run a pico, you can run any tank.

acans would be great for that tank as well as any softies. I chose mushrooms, zoas, and a toadstool for mine. I wouldn’t add a fish to yours but when you see algae (or if you started with live rock as you should have for such a small tank) then add 2-3 snails or crabs. Keep in mind that with crabs, they will need a food source other than algae like snails do or they will go after your coral.
Good luck!

OP
OP
K

Kehy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! This is actually a pretty low maintenance tank, no real testing anymore, and 1/2 gallon water changes 1-3 times a week.

Other than zoas, I'm actively avoiding softies, I feel they'd grow too fast. The LPS seem to be doing alright so far.

I currently have 3 tiny blue legged hermit crabs, a couple snails, and of course bristle worms.

OP
OP
K

Kehy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just gonna leave these here for a minute
VSrdNQq.jpg

G9uGEsQ.jpg

OP
OP
K

Kehy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates? Still going strong?

lol those pics were from last night.

But things seem to be going well, and I was finally able to see for sure my favias have grown. The zoas are growing fantastic, and Ultimate Corruption is easily the standout best grower and most willing to open up. It's already spread off the plug frag, and onto the rock itself. But all of the zoas other than Citrus Cooler have been growing reasonably fast. Citrus Cooler hasn't changed much since I got it, but it seems pretty happy otherwise.

I made a tough decision to split my Desert Star colony, since I know I absolutely will want it in a future tank. It was my first time intentionally fragging anything, but I shouldn't have worried. There was only a thin bit of flesh between two mini colonies, and it was simple to cut that and split the plug frag it was on. Both pieces were almost totally open 18 hours later and look great. I also wanted to calm my nerves before I consider cutting my Devil's Armor colony- it's got a unique polyp I want to isolate and I think it will be more difficult to do.

I have noticed that the algae growth has been unusually quick and intense - I felt it was time for a bit water change. A full gallon. Everyone seems happy now.

Before:
cFElTyr.jpg

After:
CKqw3WB.jpg

Odd Devil's Armor polyp
ldcFVkV.jpg

OP
OP
K

Kehy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hit a little bit of a rough patch in terms of maintenance, life is getting a little hairy. I can absolutely say there are over 20 pieces of coral in here though, Haha. I'm storing some to use in my next build, which hopefully I can get going soon... if life cooperates

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hope for the best life is hairy everywhere lol. I have had my pico up for about 2 months now i love how easy it is to clean i can do a complete rip clean in less than an hour. Although it probably has less than 2 gallons of water in it. Struggling a little getting stuff to open up as well as you though. Good Luck

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back