Newish 40 gallon build

Galail52

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy all! Decided I should get in on the build threads. Been doing this for about a year and have learned a few things the hard way, but are lessons I'm happy to have learned. Namely patience. I started out with non-drilled 125 gallons and after set-up, I was quickly finding that I wanted something drilled and taller, so found myself another 125 drilled tank that was fantastic. I had that going for a bit but had to sell due to a potential move. After missing the relaxation of staring at fish I decided to set-up a 40-gallon breeder and so far am really enjoying it.

Tank and stand were donated from my uncle. The tank was drilled and had an overflow box preinstalled by him when he originally set it up. The sump was made at the same time. All of that is a few years old but going strong.

Set up the tank about 2 weekends ago. Got live rock from uncles tank and purchased bimini pink live sand from amazon. I took a risk and didn't cycle anything because of all the bacteria already in there. I added my first fish about 2 days later.

Started with a melanaris wrasse, and pintail flasher wrasse, and an unknown flasher wrasse. Unfortunately, the pintail lost a fight with a rock after getting frightened and lost the recovery battle last night. Today I added a carpenters flasher wrasse, a striped serpent starfish, and a very small yellow tang. I am well aware that the yellow tank will not be a permanent resident, he's here to clean up some rocks and keep algae under control. When he grows too big he will be donated to a LFS or local reefer. To finish out the fish, I'll be added a bonded pair of clownfish and 2 pajama cardinals from uncles tank before he tears it down.

As for corals, none have been added and won't be added for some time. I want to let things stabilize and settle in before trying any of them again.

Equipment

Return pump: Jebao DCP sine return pump DCP-4000 (Overpowered, but can run it super low and hopefully prolong life)
Powerheads: Jebao SOW 15 and Jebao SOW 8
Heater: Finnex Titanium 500W (Way overpowered. Chose to go with the equipment I had on hand though here)
ATO: JBJ ATO
Lights: CUrrently, I have 3 aquaknights on the tank, but will be converting to AI Hydra 26's after I find a second one.

Will continue to update thread as things change and additions are made. Happy reefing everyone!

IMG_0902.jpg IMG_0901.jpg IMG_0900.jpg

bryanfuel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool. Are you planning on adding more rock or sticking with the minimalist aquascape? Plans for coral? The rate you're adding in fish with a questionably cycled tank is a bit worrying to be but hopefully it works out as long as you regularly test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s looking good. I’ve never seen those lights before. Look nice. Sounds like a good plan going slow

If you like stop by the meet and greet thread and we cansay #WelcometoR2R

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It looks like you are off to a good start! Have you picked up a test kit yet so you can check your water parameters? Good luck!

OP
OP
Galail52

Galail52

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool. Are you planning on adding more rock or sticking with the minimalist aquascape? Plans for coral? The rate you're adding in fish with a questionably cycled tank is a bit worrying to be but hopefully it works out as long as you regularly test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.
Yes I’ll be testing for everything. The last few fish won’t go in for a few weeks. Will also be throwing a bio one block from long standing tank.
That’s looking good. I’ve never seen those lights before. Look nice. Sounds like a good plan going slow

If you like stop by the meet and greet thread and we cansay #WelcometoR2R

the lights are fantastic. Cheap option that work really well over a 40 breeder for reefs. Uncle had them running for a while before upgrading to get some of the additional functionality other lights offer.
It looks like you are off to a good start! Have you picked up a test kit yet so you can check your water parameters? Good luck!
Yep! Keeping a close eye on everything. Haven’t had any issues yet but have water ready in case it’s needed.

bryanfuel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I’ll be testing for everything. The last few fish won’t go in for a few weeks. Will also be throwing a bio one block from long standing tank.

the lights are fantastic. Cheap option that work really well over a 40 breeder for reefs. Uncle had them running for a while before upgrading to get some of the additional functionality other lights offer.

Yep! Keeping a close eye on everything. Haven’t had any issues yet but have water ready in case it’s needed.

Sounds like you're off to a great start! It's nice that you have your uncle to help jumpstart your tank! definitely helps you hit the ground running.

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been helping on this journey. He is currently living with me, so he has access to ALL of my goodies, from foods, to pumps, 400gpd RODI, testing supplies, etc. The rock came from my 200g system, so I have no questions about the cycle of the rocks. Also, I am giving him an 8"x4" Marinepure block for his sump, so he can stay minimalist or take more rock from my system (It is all coming out as soon as the fish are gone).

I have been trying to let him make his own decisions, but I offer recommendations on what he could do with things, not tell him what to do. A lot of the joy in this hobby for me is to learn as I go and find the things that work for me and what doesn't. I think Trenton is doing a great job so far and he learns very fast. I have no doubt his tank will quickly look better than mine at the rate he is going.

Please feel free to give your advice and opinions to Trent. There are so many ways to do things and this is an amazing place to learn different ways of doing things.

OP
OP
Galail52

Galail52

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been helping on this journey. He is currently living with me, so he has access to ALL of my goodies, from foods, to pumps, 400gpd RODI, testing supplies, etc. The rock came from my 200g system, so I have no questions about the cycle of the rocks. Also, I am giving him an 8"x4" Marinepure block for his sump, so he can stay minimalist or take more rock from my system (It is all coming out as soon as the fish are gone).

I have been trying to let him make his own decisions, but I offer recommendations on what he could do with things, not tell him what to do. A lot of the joy in this hobby for me is to learn as I go and find the things that work for me and what doesn't. I think Trenton is doing a great job so far and he learns very fast. I have no doubt his tank will quickly look better than mine at the rate he is going.

Please feel free to give your advice and opinions to Trent. There are so many ways to do things and this is an amazing place to learn different ways of doing things.

Best uncle/mentor of the year award.

Always appreciate advice and suggestions from others. Y'all are awesome!

OP
OP
Galail52

Galail52

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12/15/19 Update time!
So over the last week. I’ve swapped out my Chinese black boxes for 2 Hydra 26hds. Got lighting set to where I like it and where it works well for growth and such. (Thanks to examples on another tank)

added about 15 pounds of live rock to what was already in there.

added a live seeded marine pure block.

At the same time, added 2 clowns, and 2 pajama cardinals. As well as a hammer. All from other tanks in the house. If any signs of trouble arises, we would have been able to move them back to other tanks.

Also added in a frogspawn head, some zoas, and a few pieces of orange mushroom.

Visited LFS with uncle and got a fantastic deal on a large torch and an incredible deal on a large carpet anemone. Torch is in my tank doing fantastic and carpet is in his long established tank until mine ages a bit.

Threw a skimmer In today to help with some clean up.

All in all, it’s all doing very well

2E6DC0EA-F7B9-43B9-B90C-83C9B9DEEE43.jpeg 5B50B6CE-5D92-4C5F-B474-0232240C79A0.jpeg 4D8EA532-BF3E-48B6-94D4-6761D6FD3886.jpeg A9B175BC-CE23-4F05-A940-9C92024F28B8.jpeg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 43 82.7%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back