Newish tank algae questions.

pinkfloyd1312

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my biocube up and running for about a month now. I had a decent amount of hair algae pop up during my cycle near the top of the tank but once I introduced CUC, they made short work of that. That said, I have this one live rock that obviously looks green and appears to have a really fine algae coat on it that the snails don't really seem to put a dent in. This is pretty much the only unchecked algae growth that I have currently. What am I looking at here and should I be doing anything about it or just continue to make regular water changes and hope it dies off naturally? Just trying to stay ahead of the game.

Thanks

20190814_154658.jpg

Lorenzo Angotti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, have you checked your nitrates and phosphates recently as this sometimes that can give you green algae and do you use RO ( Reverse Osmosis )water when mixing your salt for water changes.

OP
OP
P

pinkfloyd1312

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water is all RODI from LFS. I'll check the phosphates and see if anything is going on there. I think it came in on that particular rock but it seems to be doing well unfortunately.

Lorenzo Angotti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may be early yet, as you only been set up a month, just do your water changes and keep an eye on your feeding, too much nutrients could be feeding the algae as well

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is just part of your tank maturing. If you put a piece of white dry rock in an established tank, it will turn green first. Then maybe brown before seeing coralline growth. More hypothetical but you’ll hear people say new tanks go through the “uglies” phase and this is part of the ride. I wouldn’t play around with nutrients and parameters if they’re within bounds.

xiholdtruex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is rodi water supplied by the lfs 0 tds. I would say as stated above it part of the tank maturing as long as you dont see crazy growth and spread you should be good. I have in the past gone and removed a rock and scrubbed it , only for it to return till it ran its course.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back