OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I replaced the carbon, ceramic, and a sponge that came with the aquarium with two quarts of MarinePure spheres (https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/marinepure-ceramic-biomedia-1-1-2-spheres.html).

f87654df1918a6a81faa76616a6b1fe5.jpg

I went to a local shop and picked up a few pieces of dry rock. I wasn’t happy with how the Stax were working for me. I picked up a piece that was sawed to be flat on the bottom, which is the base since I’m going bare-bottom. I glued a couple of smaller pieces to the top of the base to provide a few openings for fish and inverts to explore.

92de6b83b1f0dc0b83e5dbc053120c00.jpg

9af00e5892ee1c9d9afeace892afcc2e.jpg

a8236d22e8e6a4dd3e48143290772b88.jpg

df4865495727c14464fdc695dd716ff9.jpg

c29cb22b302400a209b1ba8ce16ba265.jpg

6f388c7579299fb4ec95397a6d7aac52.jpg

I replaced the stock pump with a Sicce Syncra 1.5 (https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/sicce-syncra-silent-1-5-pump-357-gph.html). The pump that came with the aquarium is an EcoPlus Eco 185 (https://www.amazon.com/EcoPlus-Submersible-Aquarium-Fountain-Hydroponics/dp/B0018WVNXC). I’ll use the EcoPlus pump for mixing saltwater.

Now, it’s time to drill and wire for the Apex!

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got the tank ready to go for leak-testing. I added all of the equipment, and filled it up!

1527faa153af40674e25f7d09c6ffbf6.jpg

I replaced the stock pump with a Sicce Syncra Silent 0.5. I did have the 1.5 in, but it was moving too much water too quickly, even after being turned to the lowest flow rate. Both VorTechs are running smoothly. The Tunze Osmolator works as expected. The Apex is really nice, but it was such a hassle to connect it to Fusion.

I fit a Tunze Osmolator, two VorTech controllers, a 2.5g top-off container, and the Apex in the stand. I would like to work on making the cable management better, but that is tough because everything is plugged into a GFCI and surge protectors, which are behind the tv stand. The cords can’t be pulled much tighter because I need to have drip loops. The battery backup for the VorTechs is in the right-side cabinet of the tv stand. I have a single unit connected to it since it’s such a small tank; one MP10wQD will suffice in a power outage.

a506855549ef082d673fb0ab7c1324f1.jpg

I’m proud of how clean the stand looks. I used a wire channel to keep all of the wires hidden since they would be visible between the stand and the tv stand. It also kept my wife happy, which is important!

c777fc575690a699216a68708faca7ec.jpg

My heater and temperature calibration probe will be here tomorrow. If all goes well tonight and tomorrow, then I will be adding salt tomorrow evening so that I can get a cycle started.

Last edited:

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+tagging along as I like to see how Waterbox comes along. like your setup.

I have similar on my Fusion 20. Just getting back into reefing myself more actively.

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+tagging along as I like to see how Waterbox comes along. like your setup.

I have similar on my Fusion 20. Just getting back into reefing myself more actively.

Thank you! It’s such an amazing hobby. I think twenty gallons is a nice size. It’s small enough to look fuller with less livestock, and it’s large enough to look like a piece of art.

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Eheim Jager 75w Hester and Hanna digital thermometer came yesterday. I calibrated the heater and the temperature probe that’s connected to my Apex. I let the water heat up overnight so that I could see what its behavior is like without being controlled by the Apex; it seems to swing by one degree regularly:

b7e07aab450b8e66bdbf1426e53001be.jpg

After taking a look at the graph, I configured my Apex to turn the heater on at 79° F (26.11° C) and off at 79.5° F (26.4° C). I’ll let that run its course over today and check the graph to verify it’s working as expected before I add salt to the water.

DerekDun

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm purchasing the same tank (this years model) and using some of your equipment as well due to your advice. Thanks!

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm purchasing the same tank (this years model) and using some of your equipment as well due to your advice. Thanks!

Let me know if you have any questions regarding ease of setup, what equipment fits well in certain spots, or anything else. It’s a nice little tank. I have a feeling that I will be upgrading to a newer model within the next couple of years. I don’t care for the return of the model that I have. It’s incredibly bulky, and I really want the glass back panel of the newer model, as well as the recessed back panel to prevent accidental overflowing of the display.

I really think you’ll be happy with your purchase.

Deiblerj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following!

Tank looks awesome already! Wish I would have taken my time with my set up. Oh well...

I now have a 40breeder that I am slowly adding to. Didn’t do my due diligence and research as much as I should. Instead, I listened to my friend who has been out of the hobby for quite some time now. Things sure have changed. I wish I would have invested a little more upfront and went with some different equipment.

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following!

Tank looks awesome already! Wish I would have taken my time with my set up. Oh well...

I now have a 40breeder that I am slowly adding to. Didn’t do my due diligence and research as much as I should. Instead, I listened to my friend who has been out of the hobby for quite some time now. Things sure have changed. I wish I would have invested a little more upfront and went with some different equipment.

Thank you for the kind words!

It’s crazy how quickly things can evolve in this hobby. However, it’s never too late for you to slowly change out your equipment. There seem to be a lot of things for sale around this community, so keep your eyes peeled for good deals.

The most important thing for me to remember is that slower is better in this hobby. It’s tough to deal with sometimes because we are in the age of instant gratification. With mobile devices at our disposal, it can be easy to forget that not everything can be done quickly.

Do you have a build thread available?

Deiblerj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the kind words!

It’s crazy how quickly things can evolve in this hobby. However, it’s never too late for you to slowly change out your equipment. There seem to be a lot of things for sale around this community, so keep your eyes peeled for good deals.

The most important thing for me to remember is that slower is better in this hobby. It’s tough to deal with sometimes because we are in the age of instant gratification. With mobile devices at our disposal, it can be easy to forget that not everything can be done quickly.

Do you have a build thread available?

Yeah the instant gratification is killing my girlfriend. She wants everything now and wants the tank to be perfect overnight haha!

Unfortunately I don’t have a build thread...yet. I discovered this site after I had already started. I should start one up though. I plan on building a stand in the near future and adding a sump so I’ll be sure to start one then.

I’ve been keeping my eye out for some used equipment on here. I got 2 Kessil a360s from someone on here which are working great. Would like to add an MP40 as my next big purchase! :D

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Eheim Jager 75w Hester and Hanna digital thermometer came yesterday. I calibrated the heater and the temperature probe that’s connected to my Apex. I let the water heat up overnight so that I could see what its behavior is like without being controlled by the Apex; it seems to swing by one degree regularly:

b7e07aab450b8e66bdbf1426e53001be.jpg

After taking a look at the graph, I configured my Apex to turn the heater on at 79° F (26.11° C) and off at 79.5° F (26.4° C). I’ll let that run its course over today and check the graph to verify it’s working as expected before I add salt to the water.

I am assuming you set the heater itself to higher than 79.5*F? The beauty of the controller is you should never need to use the heater’s thermostat unless the controller fails.

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am assuming you set the heater itself to higher than 79.5*F? The beauty of the controller is you should never need to use the heater’s thermostat unless the controller fails.

I set the heater to 80° F (26.67° C), so the controller keeps it within my expected range, and the heater is set to an acceptable temperature in the case that the controller fails.

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I calibrated my pH and salinity probes today. Everything is looking good so far. I’m still debating on adding sand. I love the ease of bare-bottom with regard to allowing higher flow, but I will be keeping LPS for the majority of my corals, so I won’t be needing exceptionally high flow. Also, my wife thinks the sand would make a nice addition, aesthetically speaking. It would also allow me to anchor some corals to the bottom of the tank without fear of them sliding around. I will likely do that this weekend.

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been out for a few days due to kidney stones, so I’m finally getting back to my build!

I picked up a used WXM module today for my Apex, and I’m pretty happy with it; controlling my VorTechs on Feed Mode will be as easy as configuring it in Fusion.

IMG_1195.JPG

I also added some Caribsea Reef Sand, which I like because the grains are larger, allowing me to not worry about kicking it up when my VorTechs hit their peak on Reef Crest mode.

IMG_1196.JPG

IMG_1197.JPG

I’m waiting on my Milwaukee digital refractometer and case to arrive from Premium Aquatics. It should be here tomorrow or Tuesday. I’m also going to be putting in an order to Top Lids for a custom lid tonight.

I’ll be starting my cycle this evening with Dr. Tim’s ONE and ONLY Live Nitrifying Bacteria and ammonium chloride.

IMG_1199.JPG

I’m debating on whether I should get the diffuser that EcoTech released for the Radions. I understand that it will help reduce light separation and the disco effect. I need to do some more research and see how dramatically the aforementioned issues are reduced by the diffuser. Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences that could be shared regarding the diffuser (https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/radion-xr15-diffuser-upgrade-ecotech-marine.html)?

Last edited:
OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a lid from Top Lids a moment ago. I guess I didn’t realize how expensive the lid would be... I opted for a standard frame and single feeding door with a cutout for an Apex AFS because I will be picking up a used one Wednesday from a LFS.

Also, my Milwaukee digital refractometer and case will arrive tomorrow. It has definitely felt like Christmas lately.

It feels good to stockpile equipment for when I actually get some livestock added to the tank. I want to be prepared in every way possible before I bring home future inhabitants.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back