Nick’s 10g

DerekDun

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got the same tank and same sand. Just put it all in today. So far in a couple hours I can see through the tank. So hoping I have better luck.

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet. My wife wants nothing to do with this tank so it better get pretty quickly.

Btw. Kind of digging the white paint. You may be starting a trend with that.

If that isn’t motivation for you, then I don’t know what is. Ha!

My wife acts uninterested in my tank for the most part, but I caught her looking at fish on her phone earlier. Maybe letting her pick out a fish or some coral, with respect to proper husbandry, will help her become more interested.

I like how the white paint turned out. It’s much brighter than the sand I was using, and that should help with lighting the underside of corals. The only issue that I have with it is that the light separation from my Radion G3 is immediately noticeable. I will be buying a diffuser soon to soften it.

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I installed the probes for the Apex, and I put a heater and a VorTech back on the tank yesterday. I filled it with RO/DI water to let it start getting back up to my desired temperature. I woke up this morning to plans of adding salt, but the water is cloudy. Again. I don’t know what to do.

Does it make sense that it’s bacterial? It’s clearly not the sand because there is no sand in the tank anymore.

How can I get rid of this cloudiness that seems to be persistent? Wait it out? I tried that, but it didn’t go away after three weeks, which is why I tore the sand out (thinking it was the cause). There is nothing in the tank except for the probes, a VorTech, the return pump, a heater, and some new filter floss.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I installed the probes for the Apex, and I put a heater and a VorTech back on the tank yesterday. I filled it with RO/DI water to let it start getting back up to my desired temperature. I woke up this morning to plans of adding salt, but the water is cloudy. Again. I don’t know what to do.

Does it make sense that it’s bacterial? It’s clearly not the sand because there is no sand in the tank anymore.

How can I get rid of this cloudiness that seems to be persistent? Wait it out? I tried that, but it didn’t go away after three weeks, which is why I tore the sand out (thinking it was the cause). There is nothing in the tank except for the probes, a VorTech, the return pump, a heater, and some new filter floss.

Silly question, but you painted the outside under you glass bottom, right? Not the inside?

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to head to Petco to see what UV sterilizers they have. Hopefully I can find a cheap one and see if that finally takes care of this issue.

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried Seachem Clarity? Running any filter socks? Maybe look at those.

I haven’t tried Clarity, but I did see it at an LFS today. I am running filter floss (no filter socks) since it’s an AIO system. I have been running carbon for a week, but that hasn’t seemed to have helped at all.

I picked up a HOB UV sterilizer today. I’m hoping that it will clear up the water within a couple of days. https://www.aquatop.com/products/pf40-uv-power-filter-hob-with-uv-sterilization

Last edited:

DerekDun

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine cleared right up within 6 hours. No carbon and all I have in the rear chamber at the moment is marine pure spheres. I’m at a loss as what could be causing your issue. Hope you get it figured out.

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope you get it figured out.

Thanks! It’s baffling me. I have no idea why it’s so cloudy. I filled it with RO/DI yesterday, and I have watched it get progressively cloudier today. It’s clearly something along the lines of being bacterial. I’ll be doing more research over the next couple of days. If the UV sterilizer doesn’t work, then I don’t know what to do other than pack it all up for a while.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! It’s baffling me. I have no idea why it’s so cloudy. I filled it with RO/DI yesterday, and I have watched it get progressively cloudier today. It’s clearly something along the lines of being bacterial. I’ll be doing more research over the next couple of days. If the UV sterilizer doesn’t work, then I don’t know what to do other than pack it all up for a while.

You are using the rock you picked up, not the Stax if I recall, right? Did you rinse, soak or treat the rock in any way? If not, the cloudiness could be from the rock. Some of that rocked looked a bit “dirty.”

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are using the rock you picked up, not the Stax if I recall, right? Did you rinse, soak or treat the rock in any way? If not, the cloudiness could be from the rock. Some of that rocked looked a bit “dirty.”

Yep, I’m just using some standard dry rock. However, the cloudiness came back in my tank that’s filled with only RO/DI water. There’s no rock, sand, or ceramic media present in the tank; there’s only a heater, VorTech, carbon, and a new wad of filter floss.

Deiblerj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried putting new RODI in a different container to see if that clouds ups? Could be something in your RODI filters...maybe not rinsed enough? Just spit balling some ideas

I would also try to snag a few cultured live rock pieces from a LFS to help speed up your cycle and get your rock cultured. I did this for my tank when I started and my cycle ended up being fairly short.

I would also try to rinse your filter out and your carbon out. Could have some stuff built up in there from when you had sand in your tank or some bacteria.

Worst case just start the cycle over. Again I would use live rock that been cured and cultured from a LFS...you can always take it out later if you don’t like it. Toss a cocktail shrimp in and let the magic happen!

This is the most frustrating part, the waiting game! Especially with a significant other lol. Mine wants things to happen immediately!

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried putting new RODI in a different container to see if that clouds ups? Could be something in your RODI filters...maybe not rinsed enough? Just spit balling some ideas

I would also try to snag a few cultured live rock pieces from a LFS to help speed up your cycle and get your rock cultured. I did this for my tank when I started and my cycle ended up being fairly short.

I would also try to rinse your filter out and your carbon out. Could have some stuff built up in there from when you had sand in your tank or some bacteria.

Worst case just start the cycle over. Again I would use live rock that been cured and cultured from a LFS...you can always take it out later if you don’t like it. Toss a cocktail shrimp in and let the magic happen!

This is the most frustrating part, the waiting game! Especially with a significant other lol. Mine wants things to happen immediately!

I think I will be purchasing new RO/DI filters in a few days. So far, it looks like the UV filter might be putting a small dent in it, but it’s difficult to tell at the moment. At this rate, it will take a few days for me to see a significant reduction. The carbon and filter floss are new; they weren’t in the previous setup.

My guess, at this point of narrowing things down, is that it is my RO/DI unit components. I will replace the media this week and see if that changes anything.

Deiblerj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I will be purchasing new RO/DI filters in a few days. So far, it looks like the UV filter might be putting a small dent in it, but it’s difficult to tell at the moment. At this rate, it will take a few days for me to see a significant reduction. The carbon and filter floss are new; they weren’t in the previous setup.

My guess, at this point of narrowing things down, is that it is my RO/DI unit components. I will replace the media this week and see if that changes anything.

At a minimum I would try running a few gallons through your RODI and see if it clears up before buying new filters (unless it’s already old and needs replaced). Might help flush out anything in there causing your water to be cloudy

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At a minimum I would try running a few gallons through your RODI and see if it clears up before buying new filters (unless it’s already old and needs replaced). Might help flush out anything in there causing your water to be cloudy

I’ve ran ~50g through it over the past month between filing the tank and filling buckets for reserve water. However, the unit was used about two years ago for a month or two before I had to tear my tank down and move a few times. I assume that it grew something inside of it during the two years that it sat.

Deiblerj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve ran ~50g through it over the past month between filing the tank and filling buckets for reserve water. However, the unit was used about two years ago for a month or two before I had to tear my tank down and move a few times. I assume that it grew something inside of it during the two years that it sat.

Yeah probably not a bad idea to change out the filters then.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 42 28.4%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 70 47.3%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back