Nit-picky tank placement.

fdevans

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to Reef2reef and doing all the research to get into my first tank over the next few months.

Current tank plan: Red Sea 300XL

I know for sure I want it in this corner but what I’m not so sure about is should I put it on an angle off the corner to provide better access and viewing around the sides or should I keep it flush against the wall? The only reason I think I would keep it flush would be for easier access to the back. (Do I even need easy access to the back on a regular basis?)

Below are some pictures with a cardboard cut out representing the tank footprint.

E696F59B-6D4B-4181-B3E1-76EB5DF9EE6B.jpeg

EA24A60D-3A5B-45DB-876F-C8D262F6CB07.jpeg

Any other thoughts on the placement welcome!

[Not sure if this officially qualifies as my build thread but I did cut out some cardboard in order to demonstrate my question! :) ]

Last edited:

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if you put it an an angle you will find after it’s filled with sand, rock, and water—i.e., too late— that you HATE it. Having it at an angle and not flush to the wall will always nag at you... like seeing one of your shoes untied. Best wishes going forward! :)

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For one, you have to remember that most every preferred glass cleaning tool (Flipper, Magna Float, etc.,) will pose a hassle at best— glass scratching problems at worst— on a curved tank. I personally would never consider a bow front for that reason. Once algae gets a tight grip on it, it will be a pain dealing with it. :(

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For one, you have to remember that most every preferred glass cleaning tool (Flipper, Magna Float, etc.,) will pose a hassle at best— glass scratching problems at worst— on a curved tank. I personally would never consider a bow front for that reason. Once algae gets a tight grip on it, it will be a pain dealing with it. :(
Not if you scrape with an old credit card. :) It's more work but doable.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree; if you really want to devote yourself to doing the work the old fashion way, up to your elbow in water. But remember that you’ll have to keep it up long after the initial thrill of having a bow front wears off. Lol!

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, I've owned several. I eventually rigged the card to a stick.
I was kidding about the stick but I have heard of people placing a thin layer of Mr.Clean original magic eraser material between the magfloat magnets to make it around the curve. It adds a little flexibility. Then you just hold the scraper horizontally to reduce its footprint.

Last edited:

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vote for against the wall. Will take up too much room and look kinda amateur hour angled.

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with angled would be cleaning behind it and retrieving dropped things. Especially if you have kids.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back