NITRATES!

Thomas Jedlicka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea what kind or how to find what’s causing the problem?
I wish I could tell you a for sure way but i dont know one. I like to back track and see if anything is leaking into the tank or in contact with areas of exposed water amything like that. could an electronic be broken and leeching metals into the water etc. i would just take a good in depth review of whats in or near your tank. or if theres any way a non save substance could have entered your tank like soap for example.

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd maybe get a full tank shot with some pictures on white lights. Maybe a good 30-60 second video showing the tank and fish so everyone can get a better understanding of what's going on. Sometimes a visual representation will help a lot.
I’ll post the video I took. You can see the silver shark as well in there. It was from this morning.

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Guys, I have been trying to lower my nitrates for weeks now! Every few days or once a week I lose a fish. Other fish in the tank barely swim, I thought maybe they’re just lazy. I have zero ammonia, nitrites, my ph was low but got a reef buffer and that increased my ph. I am running hyposalinty because my DT has Ich but screw it I purchases copper power and will be dosing my tank once my salinity is up, it’s currently 1.010, I’ll be slowly increasing it. Im pulling my hair because my nitrates will not go down. I replaced my purigen, carbon, was still high. I purchased filters and replaced them and did a 50 gallon water change, total system is 200 gallon and the nitrates still look the same! What in the world is going on?!!!?? This is tick*ng me off! I’ve done multiple water changes with the old filters and now even with the new it’s the same. I use purigen, carbon and these rinseable then eventually replaceable green filter balls from pet o. I see seachem has a de nitrate which looks like some sort of bio pellets. Can someone please suggest how to lower nitrates! Or what to use in my filter canisters?! Please, I’m about to throw my 200 gallon system out, what am I not getting.

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could tell you a for sure way but i dont know one. I like to back track and see if anything is leaking into the tank or in contact with areas of exposed water amything like that. could an electronic be broken and leeching metals into the water etc. i would just take a good in depth review of whats in or near your tank. or if theres any way a non save substance could have entered your tank like soap for example.
I’ll take a good look in my sump and reservoir to see if I find anything.

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For your nitrate test, you can just test rodi water and see if you get zero nitrates(should be zero). If you do, you can test using 50/50 rodi water to tank water to see if your test registers on the color scale.

Your original post shows ph of ~8.2, but you mentioned adding a buffer to raise the ph? Did you raise it 1 full point over 1 WC?

If your tank water is running low ph, have you tested your saltwater source before adding it to the tank, to see what how it differs from your tanks current water?
I did test my nitrates before the filter change, I’ll test again to see if they test zero, and then I’ll test a 50/50 of both tonight. Thank you.

Thomas Jedlicka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The videos are not working for me. R2R can be weird with videos sometimes. I recommend posting them on youtube, copying the sharable link, and then posting the sharable links using the link feature.

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop adding fish if a single fish in your tank is sick! I’d guess the blue hippo is causing you all the problems since they’re ich magnets! Also don’t worry about your nitrates! You said your ph is 7.2? That’s neutral you need to raise your salinity up and thr ph will follow.. none of your problems have came from nitrates! I have over 100 in a reef tank with zero issues! When you do a hospital tank it should be separate not your main display. With low salinity and ph you’re gonna kill off everything in the tank.
I agree, it seems like what everyone is saying is I should first raise the salinity, and then worry about the ICH, I’ll continue with my WC and hopefully that should start to level off some of the problems. It seems i didn’t run hypo correctly and ran for longer than I should’ve. So the first thing I’ll do is raise salinity in the tank slowly over the week.

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chiming back in, did a complete light change out on my 850 gallon reef yesterday so was a little busy.
Lets get back to basics here.
Reply with your parameters here, I'm recommending the correct test kit for each parameter.
You have to throw away API. I can't trouble shoot with that test kit. ( Except Ammonia )

Ammonia - API ( Ok for this only )
Nitrite - Hanna
Nitrate - Nyos
Ph - Hanna
Alkalinity - Hanna
Salinity - High Precision Tropic Marin or Bulk Reef Refractometer

Need all these documented by the weekend.

Stop buying any livestock.

We must get this tank out of hypo and up to normal sea water parameters. The salinity must be raised slowly to not stress the remaining fish out more. I would raise .002 daily until we get you to 1.024 or 1.025.

Once we get you there, then we will start working on the rest and we will know we are starting at a good place.

Oh, I forgot the most important part.............
Pick a mentor, a known successful reefer and follow him or her. If you get 25 different opinions, you're going to have 25 different avenues to chase. This will for sure extend your time to success.

I'm willing to help you get back on track, but there may be a better true mentors out there for you. It doesn't have to be an in person mentor, it can be an online mentor, but you have to stick to that path until you feel you understand this hobby inside and out.
Thank you. I agree I’m going to order some new test kits and raise the salinity first, sounds like what people are saying is running it hypo for so long may be causing some of the issues. Then I’ll focus on ICH. Thank you so much!

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think so, you can see him in the video
Didn't see a shark at all. Is this the fish you are talking about?

You have a lot of fish and nowhere for them to all hide. :(
It's like going to a classroom and nobody has a chair to sit down. Can't relax at all.

Last edited:

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I agree I’m going to order some new test kits and raise the salinity first, sounds like what people are saying is running it hypo for so long may be causing some of the issues. Then I’ll focus on ICH. Thank you so much!
I Have to repeat, pick one mentor, follow their success. Good luck, stay focused on one single course you pick.

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't see a shark at all. Is this the fish you are talking about?

You have a lot of fish and nowhere for them to all hide. :(
It's like going to a classroom and nobody has a chair to sit down. Can't relax at all.
My LFS ordered some more rock for me, I ordered some so I can assemble on the sides of the current rock. You were able to see the video?

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS ordered some more rock for me, I ordered some so I can assemble on the sides of the current rock. You were able to see the video?
Yes that’s the fish! Sorry didn’t know what it was called.

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Have to repeat, pick one mentor, follow their success. Good luck, stay focused on one single course you pick.
Will start off with the salinity and ICH treatment first. Will keep you updated. Thank you for your time and guidance. I’ll also be ordering the new kits. Much appreciated.

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What skimmer do you run? Even with consistent water changes, if your stocking is too much for the skimmer to handle, nitrates will perpetually climb.
I have an Aquamaxx FC 120. Does your skimmer have more foam or more water? I feel like I’m not running it correctly. I empty and clean it every time I do a WC and then it takes another couple days for it to tune again?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
="newreef1, post: 10824245, member: 179226"]
I have an Aquamaxx FC 120. Does your skimmer have more foam or more water? I feel like I’m not running it correctly. I empty and clean it every time I do a WC and then it takes another couple days for it to tune again?
[/QUOTE]
I have the FC 180 on a 75 gallon, it's rated for up to 200 gallons. For the amount of fish you have your skimmer is totally undersized for that tank.
You're going to need to find another way to get the nitrates down. Maybe carbon dosing will help.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back