OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lower salinity is not deadly to the fish. One way to treat parasites is by keeping them in hyposalinity at 1.009sg. I don’t know about the salinity effecting bacteria but clearly it hasn’t effected all bacteria since the tank is processing ammonia into nitrate.

However for the OP since you are running hyposalinity are you sure your salinity measuring device is properly calibrated. Your salinity could be lower than you think. I agree that although your nitrates are a problem they’re not the issue with your fish.
I calibrated my reader a couple times with the provided solution to ensure my salinity was low. My ph was also low for sometime, when I did a WC yesterday I added some seachem reef buffer to bring it up to what my reading shows, would a low ph cause any problems? It used to read around 7.2?

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try another kit, API is notoriously unreliable. I really like the RedSea or Hanna Nitrate HR tester.

50 gallons WC out of 200 total. So a 25% water change. If you had nitrates at 50 that would only bring the nitrates down to about 37.5, assuming the kit for testing is accurate.
Yes but the kit read the same results, as in same color both before and after the WC.

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• A7FF759C-9FDD-4352-ADFD-E3674FB283BD.jpeg
    A7FF759C-9FDD-4352-ADFD-E3674FB283BD.jpeg
    118.7 KB · Views: 24
OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Than
Please don't take this wrong, but there are so many fundamentally simple things wrong here. Please take a breath and we need to do a hard reset here. Before we do we have to get you up to basic knowledge on a marine saltwater tank.
Again please don't take this wrong. multiple questions please answer .......
1) how many fish left in tank
2) list the fish still remaining
3) where are you getting your guidance and knowledge from LFS, online, friend ?
4) How long has tank been set up
5) Are you willing to read reputable books or watch instructional videos from a reefing mentor ?
6) How long have you been keeping either fresh water or saltwater fish.

Let's start with the above few questions, I will personally take on helping you if you are willing to learn, make tough immediate choices, and understand complete change is most likely need
Thanks so much man,
1. Apart from 2 of these
1669781798406.jpeg

All my other fish are fine, one hippo tang has white spots, and the new niso tang and powder blue tang, yellow ornamental angelfish are not eating. I think the fish are slower or maybe they should be swimming more, they swim in the morning before feeding then lazy down afterwards.
2. one of the fish above, hippo tang, yellow hawkish, rabbit fish, niso tang, powder blue tang, longnose wrasse, clown trigger, 3 finger fish, 3 clowns, 1 damselfish, 1 pink dottyback, 1 silver bala shark fish( I think that’s what it’s called), 2 small fish I’m not sure of their name. none have any visible ailments except the hippo tang. Most eat just fine except the 2 new tangs and angelfish which I’ve had for a few weeks but don’t see it eating.
3. most guidance from here, and then some from the LFS which is not really local I have to drive an hour to get there so unfortunately don’t have much choice in terms of quality of fish or where to go.
4. the tank has been running since around March of this year.
5. of course I’d rather get information from the most simplest of details than a broad overview. I try to find some now but I get such vast variety of info not sure what to follow. I also work full time so don’t have much time unfortunately.
6. This is my first saltwater tank, I started because a friend had one for years and said it wasn’t too bad, I had a freshwater tank before for a few years, with some initial fish die that I got from PetSmart during cycling but never had any issues afterwards.
thank you so much for taking the time out to help me with this.

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect that nitrates are not the issue. I had a spell in my predatory FOWLR tank a couple years back where my skimmer bust and it took me a couple months to replace. That was a 300 gallon tank with large predatory fish and my nitrates climbed to over 200 ppm. I didn't lose any fish and it didn't affect their demeanors or appetites. I would check for potential toxins in the tank. I have not found nitrate to be a big killer of fish, even if the fish are smaller.
The only other think I see with my tank is it’s a bit cloudy, even with purigen and carbon I can’t seem to get it clear?

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blown Away Wow GIF by Aminé

But they're not, if they're all lethargic and not swimming, and some are dying, they are in fact not doing well. There are a lot more knowledgeable people in this thread than I am, so I'll just follow along so I may learn more. Good luck with your tank and I hope they all make it through!
Thanks man

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have any corals, it’s still safe to use Nopox? Just add it to my tank?
DO NOT ADD RANDOM THINGS TO YOUR SYSTEM!!! You really need to slow down and read back through this thread. There is a lot of knowledge -- you did ask for help, remember? The nitrates are the least of your problems right now!!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running my tank in hypo hasnt killed most of my fish, every now and then when I get fish I find some to be alive for a few weeks and then suddenly they die. I’ve read that treating fish in hyposalinty is safe for most except some sensitive fish but I assume they wouldn’t be able to handle it more than a couple days let along a few weeks. The hypo is suppose to help with their gill osmosis and ICH. I just haven’t had luck with eradicating the ICH. Otherwise the fish have been able to handle the salinity.
Well CLEARLY everything you've read is correct and none of us that you've asked to help you know what we're talking about!

I'm out.

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well CLEARLY everything you've read is correct and none of us that you've asked to help you know what we're talking about!

I'm out.
Hey I’m sorry I didn’t mean to insult or offend you in any way, maybe I came off as such but truly didn’t mean to offend you. You’ve been one of the first and most consistent people here to help me and I appreciate it. I’m sorry.

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DO NOT ADD RANDOM THINGS TO YOUR SYSTEM!!! You really need to slow down and read back through this thread. There is a lot of knowledge -- you did ask for help, remember? The nitrates are the least of your problems right now!!
I’m just trying to be transparent with what I see on my tank so the people trying to help me here have a better idea, I don’t want to kill my fish nor do I intend to be rude. Maybe I’m not seeing things correctly or just can’t put it into words to explain to you guys.

Rennurdoar

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Than

Thanks so much man,
1. Apart from 2 of these
1669781798406.jpeg

All my other fish are fine, one hippo tang has white spots, and the new niso tang and powder blue tang, yellow ornamental angelfish are not eating. I think the fish are slower or maybe they should be swimming more, they swim in the morning before feeding then lazy down afterwards.
2. one of the fish above, hippo tang, yellow hawkish, rabbit fish, niso tang, powder blue tang, longnose wrasse, clown trigger, 3 finger fish, 3 clowns, 1 damselfish, 1 pink dottyback, 1 silver bala shark fish( I think that’s what it’s called), 2 small fish I’m not sure of their name. none have any visible ailments except the hippo tang. Most eat just fine except the 2 new tangs and angelfish which I’ve had for a few weeks but don’t see it eating.
3. most guidance from here, and then some from the LFS which is not really local I have to drive an hour to get there so unfortunately don’t have much choice in terms of quality of fish or where to go.
4. the tank has been running since around March of this year.
5. of course I’d rather get information from the most simplest of details than a broad overview. I try to find some now but I get such vast variety of info not sure what to follow. I also work full time so don’t have much time unfortunately.
6. This is my first saltwater tank, I started because a friend had one for years and said it wasn’t too bad, I had a freshwater tank before for a few years, with some initial fish die that I got from PetSmart during cycling but never had any issues afterwards.
thank you so much for taking the time out to help me with this.
1669783965708.png

Is that what you mean when you say a bala shark? I only ask because if that's in your tank with the others, well a bala shark is 100% a freshwater fish as far as I know. Not sure it could even live in brackish water. But that's what a bala shark is, and it matches your description so just checking

Rennurdoar

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'd maybe get a full tank shot with some pictures on white lights. Maybe a good 30-60 second video showing the tank and fish so everyone can get a better understanding of what's going on. Sometimes a visual representation will help a lot.

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd maybe get a full tank shot with some pictures on white lights. Maybe a good 30-60 second video showing the tank and fish so everyone can get a better understanding of what's going on. Sometimes a visual representation will help a lot.
Nice idea, I’ll take a video in the morning, actually it’s a silver shark like fish, sorry to sound childish, it’s one of the first fish I got but don’t know the exact name.

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1669783965708.png

Is that what you mean when you say a bala shark? I only ask because if that's in your tank with the others, well a bala shark is 100% a freshwater fish as far as I know. Not sure it could even live in brackish water. But that's what a bala shark is, and it matches your description so just checking
I had one of these in my freshwater tank a couple years ago, the one I have is similar but not the same. I’m probably messing the name up.

JPG Corals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I calibrated my reader a couple times with the provided solution to ensure my salinity was low. My ph was also low for sometime, when I did a WC yesterday I added some seachem reef buffer to bring it up to what my reading shows, would a low ph cause any problems? It used to read around 7.2?
For your nitrate test, you can just test rodi water and see if you get zero nitrates(should be zero). If you do, you can test using 50/50 rodi water to tank water to see if your test registers on the color scale.

Your original post shows ph of ~8.2, but you mentioned adding a buffer to raise the ph? Did you raise it 1 full point over 1 WC?

If your tank water is running low ph, have you tested your saltwater source before adding it to the tank, to see what how it differs from your tanks current water?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop adding fish if a single fish in your tank is sick! I’d guess the blue hippo is causing you all the problems since they’re ich magnets! Also don’t worry about your nitrates! You said your ph is 7.2? That’s neutral you need to raise your salinity up and thr ph will follow.. none of your problems have came from nitrates! I have over 100 in a reef tank with zero issues! When you do a hospital tank it should be separate not your main display. With low salinity and ph you’re gonna kill off everything in the tank.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chiming back in, did a complete light change out on my 850 gallon reef yesterday so was a little busy.
Lets get back to basics here.
Reply with your parameters here, I'm recommending the correct test kit for each parameter.
You have to throw away API. I can't trouble shoot with that test kit. ( Except Ammonia )

Ammonia - API ( Ok for this only )
Nitrite - Hanna
Nitrate - Nyos
Ph - Hanna
Alkalinity - Hanna
Salinity - High Precision Tropic Marin or Bulk Reef Refractometer

Need all these documented by the weekend.

Stop buying any livestock.

We must get this tank out of hypo and up to normal sea water parameters. The salinity must be raised slowly to not stress the remaining fish out more. I would raise .002 daily until we get you to 1.024 or 1.025.

Once we get you there, then we will start working on the rest and we will know we are starting at a good place.

Oh, I forgot the most important part.............
Pick a mentor, a known successful reefer and follow him or her. If you get 25 different opinions, you're going to have 25 different avenues to chase. This will for sure extend your time to success.

I'm willing to help you get back on track, but there may be a better true mentors out there for you. It doesn't have to be an in person mentor, it can be an online mentor, but you have to stick to that path until you feel you understand this hobby inside and out.

Last edited:
Back