Nitrite & Nitrate

jbonez_

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 23, 2022
Messages
65
Reaction score
18
Location
Michigan
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrites are reading 1.0ppm and Nitrates 20ppm, would a larger water change help lower or should I do something different? I had the same readings the past two weeks.
 
I’ll assume you’re still cycling - I’d add some additional bacteria and don’t bother testing nitrates again until nitrites start going down, as presence of nitrites will affect the accuracy of the nitrate test.
 
Nitrites are not important in saltwater like they are in freshwater water. You have no need to test for them. As mentioned their presence can make nitrates read higher than they are. In the absence of ammonia, do a water change and you should be good to go.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%

New Posts

Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new