Nitrite & Nitrate

jbonez_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrites are reading 1.0ppm and Nitrates 20ppm, would a larger water change help lower or should I do something different? I had the same readings the past two weeks.

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrites typically don’t matter. How old is tank. Nitrate at 20 isn’t too bad either

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK for the first six weeks the tank did not have fish in it did you seed/add bottled bacteria? If so when did you add the bacteria and after you added them did you " feed" them ?
Just trying to figure out when your cycle started. As others said those numbers are not bad.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jbonez_

jbonez_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK for the first six weeks the tank did not have fish in it did you seed/add bottled bacteria? If so when did you add the bacteria and after you added them did you " feed" them ?
Just trying to figure out when your cycle started. As others said those numbers are not bad.
Yes, I added Dr Tim's while dosing with his ammonia, after that for a week I was getting 0ppm for Nitrites, Nitrates and Ammonia, then I added a pinch of fish food and went to a testless 10 day cycle, after the 10 days I tested and had 0 ammonia, 5ppm nitrites and 80pmm nitrates, did a near 100% water change.

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No corals, fish only right now.
The nitrates probably will stay pretty high (this is OK for fish in saltwater) until you get stuff in there that’s doing photosynthesis.

The bacteria that convert nitrates to N2 tend to do so under anaerobic conditions and are fairly slow at it even when such conditions are present.

In many cases the most effective way to remove these from the system is via algae or corals that’ll absorb them, though unless you have lights set up that’ll get photosynthesis going this won’t happen.

OP
OP
jbonez_

jbonez_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nitrates probably will stay pretty high (this is OK for fish in saltwater) until you get stuff in there that’s doing photosynthesis.

The bacteria that convert nitrates to N2 tend to do so under anaerobic conditions and are fairly slow at it even when such conditions are present.

In many cases the most effective way to remove these from the system is via algae or corals that’ll absorb them, though unless you have lights set up that’ll get photosynthesis going this won’t happen.
I do have a light set up and I have been running it, algae growth is starting.

So all in all, these levels are ok for now since no corals? But when I want to start putting corals in is when I need to lower these levels? I plan only to do softies and some LPS.

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a light set up and I have been running it, algae growth is starting.

So all in all, these levels are ok for now since no corals? But when I want to start putting corals in is when I need to lower these levels? I plan only to do softies and some LPS.
TBH - they’re probably ok for corals as is, especially soft corals. How many fish do you have in there?

Once the algae and corals take off they’ll consume these nutrients, possibly very quickly, with a light bioload you could end up having to go out of your way to keep nutrients up even.

OP
OP
jbonez_

jbonez_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TBH - they’re probably ok for corals as is, especially soft corals. How many fish do you have in there?

Once the algae and corals take off they’ll consume these nutrients, possibly very quickly, with a light bioload you could end up having to go out of your way to keep nutrients up even.
Just two clowns as of right now, then in another week or two a YWG and pistol shrimp.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is it true that if you ceased testing for nitrite and nitrate and had to go solely off results of looking at your tank, the testless cycle worked?

at what point did you want to change from testless cycling, which just worked you can see, into test-cycling using the number one misreading test kits in reefing / legit curious about that detail

we had discussed fish disease prep needs, the importance of reading and choosing a disease plan before adding fish

know fallow and quarantine very well.

this thread here is the stage of reefing your tank is at:

all new reef tanks having just completed a cycle should read that post before they buy fish

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back