No Tank Lids vs Yes Tank Lids ?

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What has changed in our hobby from several years ago that now we have open tanks ?
I asked a owner of a very nice store about this question, and he showed me that all his for sale tanks have lids and his display only are all have lids. All his sumps have them as well. He feels there's no advantage having them open. He does have a lot of pumps adding clean air to them all.

And,...a lot less evaporation !

We have a few small tanks running and setting up a new 125, and we had to buy a dehumidifier that runs almost, all the time, set at 40%. Even with the small tanks, our house humidity is around 40%-50%. I don't know if we'll have the glass lids, but at least the mesh Lid's for jumping fish.

So, what's your thoughts ?

ReeferCrabness

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems the LFS I visit all use lids. I do not, except on my overflow box. I always assumed it was to reduce evaporation and heating. Also, to prevent fish from
doing the "Free Willy" over the side of the tank.

My preference for not having lids is so I can look in on things better. I do notice
quite a bit of daily evaporation, but this works for me and my drip systems of
adding needed chemicals and top off water. I'm doing things manually and daily
testing/correcting of some of my parameters after a recent reef-pocolypse. Not having lids is sure nice right now.

NHgoalstop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS only has mesh tops on their tanks. Obviously glass tops w IP lvl stop evaporation and escape artist. But you'll also have to clean them frequently to stop them from reducing your lighting. Also a lot of glass lids have that black plastic strip running down the middle and a hinge. That will definitely get in the way of lighting and would have to be removed.

KenRexford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has 2 crossbars for support. 6 ft. The 2 outside have mesh. The inside is glass with the bleck strip removed. That part has more splash. I also like the ease of removing the smaller handled glass pane for feeding.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost 2 wrasses with a canopy and light when the wrasses bounced off the light. Lost one wrasse to jumping completely out. It can be done.

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s mostly aesthetics. People like the rimless tanks - the clean modern look. I do too, but also like the look of well made canopies. And since they’re more practical (for fish and evaporation) that’s what I’ll get if I do a custom tank. Currently have a biocube so it has a hood.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish jump. Mesh lid is a no brainer. Glass lids will need cleaning, reduce par from our expensive lights ,and will increase maintenance.

You think a mesh top lets more light in than a dirty glass top? Have you ever measured the Par, or that just “seems” right to you?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back