OP
NoAhoysLeft

NoAhoysLeft

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks great! Have you added coral or anemones?

Yes actually. I have since gotten corals. Thank you for reminding me to post photos.

I got my first 3 corals on Halloween (10/31/2023). I got them from @AquaSD.
I dipped them in Coral RX using the instructions.
Boy, they did not look happy....

My first corals were the Blasto wellsi (the red with blue inner), Purple Torch (yellow/green tips) and the Hammer (ice tips).

1699683661201.png

Here is how my torch looked when it arrived.

1699683557640.png

Here is how my torch looks now (1.5 weeks later).

1699683606037.png

Here is how my Blasto wellsi looked when it arrived.

1699683769771.png

Here is my Blasto wellsi now (1.5 weeks later).

1699683838700.png

Here is my first hammer when it arrived.

1699684024440.png

Here is my hammer now (1.5 weeks later).

1699684101916.png

Today, I picked up 2 more corals from my LFS. I got another hammer (a splatter, overhyped I know, but dang it is pretty) as well as a Ricordea. They also got the dip treatment.

1699684243221.png

1699683370536.jpeg

Here they are now, a few hours later. The new hammer and Ricordea are already opening back up. I hope that's a good sign. But time will tell. I'm hoping that I can move everyone into their 'permanent' positions soon. Since everyone is still on the sand...

1699683382916.png

I am doing 10-15% water changes every 4 days, and so far I have fed my 3 first corals once with brine shrimp which they seemed to like.

Hopefully keeping up this schedule of water changes every 4 days will keep everyone happy. I am definitely aware that I am adding things a bit quickly, but I intend to chill out with the additions while I find everyone a good spot on the rocks.

I'm excited to see if they'll grow in the future.

Still trying to figure out a lighting profile with my light, so I can just set it and forget it.

Last edited:

dollar.reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same blastos. Love em!

Your shots all look beautiful, what camera do you use?

10 to 15% every 4 days sounds like it could be hard to keep up with!

Also are you hatching your own brine shrimp?

OP
OP
NoAhoysLeft

NoAhoysLeft

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same blastos. Love em!

Your shots all look beautiful, what camera do you use?

10 to 15% every 4 days sounds like it could be hard to keep up with!

Also are you hatching your own brine shrimp?
Yes the Blastos are easily my favorite out of the first 3 corals I got. They're awesome.

I just use my Pixel 6 phone!

And yes, 10-15% water change every 4 days (ish) is quite a hassle, even with my tank only being 15 gallons.
I think that over time I might reduce this frequency as my tank matures, but I'm sort of hoping the frequency will help keep things in check in case I make any minor mistakes. At least for the beginning few months.

And nope I am not hatching brine although I might like to in the future. I'm just buying frozen cubes, rinsing in RODI, then using turkey baster to feed. I learned pretty quickly that turning off the pump while I feed is beneficial, else I end up with a ton of pellets and brine corpses in my filter sock.

OP
OP
NoAhoysLeft

NoAhoysLeft

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on the torch. Looking even more depressed and sick, so I went ahead and ordered some KFC dip.

A more experienced reefer saw my photo on Discord and recommended the KFC dip to me, since they said my torch looked sick. I never thought it looked particularly great, it's been temperamental since I got it, but there is a little extra peace of mind knowing I might be able to help it with the medicine. Here's to hoping, I have my fingers crossed.

Here's a photo from this morning. Also, you may see some small patches of green algae. I am excited about that. I've had a light dusting of brown algae(?) or perhaps diatoms on my dry rock and glass, but now I'm seeing the green stuff.

1700040746549.png

OP
OP
NoAhoysLeft

NoAhoysLeft

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dipped my sad looking torch with KFC dip (essential antibiotics only) for 6 hours today.
Peroxide rinse performed before and after.
This thing looking very angry and sad. Hopefully it might have a chance to recover.
Will be dipping daily like in the instructions until it looks better (unless someone can advise otherwise).

Crossing my fingers!
1700115683521.png

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, dropped in after seeing your Noopsyche post. Are you running that 2-pyramid shaped schedule right now? The K7 Mini should easily be hitting 200 PAR on the rocks at 40% and 100 on the sand. But, your schedule isn't giving them that much time at higher PAR. The majority of the PAR on that light comes from the blue channel, followed by white and almost nil on violet. So you want those blues running during the day to give your corals energy. on a 15g, I'd have the blues running at least 40% for at least 6 hours with extra ramp up/down time.

For example, here is my schedule:
Screenshot_20230907-110740.png

And I'm aiming for about 300-350 top of the rocks and 150-200 on the sand.

For the Torch, good move on the KFC dip. What are your Nitrates and Phosphates like in the tank? With so many water changes, you might not be running them high enough for your LPS. They don't like zero NO3/PO4. Also check flow and space. You might need to move that torch around to find it a spot with ideal flow and more space from the other corals. I'm less concerned about the blasto, but some torches and hammers can send out nasty sweepers. The torch could be angry because of flow, lack of light, other corals, low nitrates/phosphates, or just arrived sick and is struggling.

OP
OP
NoAhoysLeft

NoAhoysLeft

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, dropped in after seeing your Noopsyche post. Are you running that 2-pyramid shaped schedule right now? The K7 Mini should easily be hitting 200 PAR on the rocks at 40% and 100 on the sand. But, your schedule isn't giving them that much time at higher PAR. The majority of the PAR on that light comes from the blue channel, followed by white and almost nil on violet. So you want those blues running during the day to give your corals energy. on a 15g, I'd have the blues running at least 40% for at least 6 hours with extra ramp up/down time.

For example, here is my schedule:
Screenshot_20230907-110740.png

And I'm aiming for about 300-350 top of the rocks and 150-200 on the sand.

For the Torch, good move on the KFC dip. What are your Nitrates and Phosphates like in the tank? With so many water changes, you might not be running them high enough for your LPS. They don't like zero NO3/PO4. Also check flow and space. You might need to move that torch around to find it a spot with ideal flow and more space from the other corals. I'm less concerned about the blasto, but some torches and hammers can send out nasty sweepers. The torch could be angry because of flow, lack of light, other corals, low nitrates/phosphates, or just arrived sick and is struggling.
No it is night time and I was running the default LPS setting until today I am trying to adjust it to a custom setting, playing with it.

I will adjust it further to a better setting starting tomorrow. I want to find a good setting and just leave it.

Torch got its second KFC dip tonight. Again 6 hours.

My nitrates hover around 10-15 so far. Currently waiting on a package of Phos reagent for my hanna checker. I don't know my Phos until then Sorry...

Thank you for the advise by the way. This is a big help

Oh yeah. Forgot to say I picked up a mini Hygger wavemaker but it seems too strong even at 40% (lowest). It's hard to find a wavemaker for my tank. Maybe a Jebao SL3 is better. Dunno.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it is night time and I was running the default LPS setting until today I am trying to adjust it to a custom setting, playing with it.

I will adjust it further to a better setting starting tomorrow. I want to find a good setting and just leave it.

Torch got its second KFC dip tonight. Again 6 hours.

My nitrates hover around 10-15 so far. Currently waiting on a package of Phos reagent for my hanna checker. I don't know my Phos until then Sorry...

Thank you for the advise by the way. This is a big help

Oh yeah. Forgot to say I picked up a mini Hygger wavemaker but it seems too strong even at 40% (lowest). It's hard to find a wavemaker for my tank. Maybe a Jebao SL3 is better. Dunno.
For the 15 in an LPS heavy tank you can get away with an upgraded return pump. What pump is it right now? A MightyJet 326gph with a split return and some locline to direct flow would probably cover you.

OP
OP
NoAhoysLeft

NoAhoysLeft

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the 15 in an LPS heavy tank you can get away with an upgraded return pump. What pump is it right now? A MightyJet 326gph with a split return and some locline to direct flow would probably cover you.
It's the 'Adjustable 130 GPH DC Return Pump 5W/24V' that comes stock with the IM desktop 15.

Right now i estimate about 770gph of flow with the hygger at 40% and the stock return pump

I also adjusted my lighting

Screenshot_20231117-112811~2.png

Last edited:

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe I am running the same wave maker in my Fiji 10g. (same dims minus an inch) I run it up top. I used to try to program the thing, but now I just leave it on the stock program. I also use a Sicce syncra, but I don't know if that is any better than your stock pump. Brave of you to start your first reef tank with dry rock. Which is a perfectly fine method BTW, it just takes more patience and skill than using live rock and or sand. It is going to get ugly, but don’t get discouraged. Also brine shrimp is the McDonald's of fish food, go with mysis. Live phyto, copepods, rotifers will do wonders. Also have a bottle of NeoPhos and NeoNitro on hand. All that new sand/rock is going to absorb a lot of PO4.

OP
OP
NoAhoysLeft

NoAhoysLeft

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe I am running the same wave maker in my Fiji 10g. (same dims minus an inch) I run it up top. I used to try to program the thing, but now I just leave it on the stock program. I also use a Sicce syncra, but I don't know if that is any better than your stock pump. Brave of you to start your first reef tank with dry rock. Which is a perfectly fine method BTW, it just takes more patience and skill than using live rock and or sand. It is going to get ugly, but don’t get discouraged. Also brine shrimp is the McDonald's of fish food, go with mysis. Live phyto, copepods, rotifers will do wonders. Also have a bottle of NeoPhos and NeoNitro on hand. All that new sand/rock is going to absorb a lot of PO4.
Thank you for the tips!

OP
OP
NoAhoysLeft

NoAhoysLeft

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, remember you can always drive to the ocean and grab a handful of biodiversity. Scrippts institute has free ocean water which can also help a bit, you just have to up the salinity and alk.
I'm really curious, why do they give away free ocean water?
Also, from reading on here I admit I am pretty terrified of hitchhikers.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really curious, why do they give away free ocean water?
Also, from reading on here I admit I am pretty terrified of hitchhikers.
It is just one of the things they do. They have to pump it for themselves, so they let other use it.
As far as hitchhikers go. You will eventually will have hitchhikers, there is no way from getting around it. But all hitchhikers are not bad, some are amazing and very beneficial for your tank. I would say the good outweighs the bad, but nobody talk's about the good. This creates a certain hysteria which promotes the bad unfortunately. I would look up some post by @Paul B and his success with a tank that is older than half of the posters here. I personally had a dino issue that was solved naturally because I had some live rock from Australia. I saw it happening with my own eyes under a microscope. From biome to micro brittle stars and bristle worms, all are hitchhikers, all are a part of a successful tank. IMHO it is not worth the struggle to start a tank without.

OP
OP
NoAhoysLeft

NoAhoysLeft

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is just one of the things they do. They have to pump it for themselves, so they let other use it.
As far as hitchhikers go. You will eventually will have hitchhikers, there is no way from getting around it. But all hitchhikers are not bad, some are amazing and very beneficial for your tank. I would say the good outweighs the bad, but nobody talk's about the good. This creates a certain hysteria which promotes the bad unfortunately. I would look up some post by @Paul B and his success with a tank that is older than half of the posters here. I personally had a dino issue that was solved naturally because I had some live rock from Australia. I saw it happening with my own eyes under a microscope. From biome to micro brittle stars and bristle worms, all are hitchhikers, all are a part of a successful tank. IMHO it is not worth the struggle to start a tank without.
Thanks!

OP
OP
NoAhoysLeft

NoAhoysLeft

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update on the torch, sadly it's doing a lot worse despite the daily Ciprofloxacin and Amoxicillin dips (essential KFC).

It actually had Brown Jelly Disease as this morning I saw brown goo inside its flesh. I gave it a peroxide dip, put it into the bucket for another day of meds, but it honeslty isn't looking any better.
1700536244414.png

It's all good, since I factored in that risk when buying it, and it didn't cost that much. Still a bit sucky, but I'll live even if it won't.

On a less depressing note, my other corals are doing pretty well I think.
These two are probably my favorites to look at right now.
More algae forming as well. Here comes the ugly stage.
1700536277174.png

OP
OP
NoAhoysLeft

NoAhoysLeft

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a small update on how the tank is going.

Inhabitants as of today:
- 2 ocellaris clownfish (pair)- Amphiprion ocellaris
- 2-3 Mexican hermit crabs- Clibanarius digueti
- 4 Fimbri / hammer corals (left back rock: ice tips x1 near back, green stem x2 middle, splatter x1 left)
- Ricordea mushroom coral (left front rock, left side)
- Acan lord coral (left front rock, right side)
- Blastomussa wellsi coral (right front rock, left side)
- Zoa ('pandoras') (right front rock, right side/top)
- Duncans (right back rock, left/arch)
- Pavona orange/encrusting (right back rock, top/middle)
- Brown and green algae (yum... making my room smell like Kelp) :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:
- Various tiny feather dusters, spionid worms, and barnacles (who knows how long they'll last)

Equipment list as of today:
Hardware

- Fusion | 15 AIO Cube Aquarium [Desktop] (stock pump)
- SafeScreen™ Preassembled Aquarium Mesh Screen Lid - For Nuvo Fusion 15 Cube
- BioSkim DC Nano AIO Saltwater Protein Skimmer
- SpinStream Wavemaking Flow Nozzle
- Hygger Wave Maker Pump (Hygger makes lovely and affordable stuff- this wavemaker is 1600gph max, but I have it set to 40%)
- NooPsyche K7 Mini Kit 60W APP control Flex Arm (Lighting- See this post for my settings)
- Aquatop Glass Heater (unsure if 50 or 75 watts)

Filtration
- Aquos Class Nano Filter Sock (I'll be buying the Innovative Marine ones again once this 3-pack runs out, however)
- CustomCaddy™ Customizable Filter Media Basket w/ Media [Desktop] (removed the GFO and carbon to use later if necessary)
- Tidal 35 Matrix (160 mL) - Seachem (I put it inside the caddy)
- Sera Filter Wool (This will last quite some time... also in the caddy)
- Imagitarium Filter Media Balls (Helps to add some extra surface area as well as to prop up my caddy a little bit)
- Using Fluval AquaClear 70 Filter Insert Foam (1 block) to prop up my BioSkim skimmer (it was too low)

Parameter & Other Measurement Tools
- Oase Digital Thermometer (Really cool, but I do wish it was backlit or something, hard to see)
- Lasergrip 749 Infrared Thermometer (Very useful to have multiple ways to check temperature)
- Inkbird Temperature Controller ITC-306T (Necessary for me to control heating)
- Salifert Ammonia, pH, Magnesium, and Calcium test kits
- Hanna Phosphate (not ULR), Alkalinity (dKH), Nitrate HR, and Salinity (doubles as a thermometer too) checkers + reagents
- Refractometer

A peek inside the top drawer, which is mostly water tests.
1700966335741.png

Other Gadgets
- Flipper NANO FLOAT 2 in 1 Magnetic Aquarium Algae Cleaner
- Flipper DeepSee Magnified Magnetic Aquarium Viewer 4" in combination with Flipper DeepSee Magnetically Mounted Magnified Aquarium Viewer 4" (102mm) Orange Filter Lens for taking pictures more easily
- Small turkey baster (For feeding mysis, brine, and soon other foods. I plan to buy frozen fish eggs and some more variety)
- Aquarium tongs (Currently they are stainless steel but I am ordering a long plastic grabber which will become my dedicated saltwater tongs instead)
- Some microfiber cloths (Really nice for keeping the glass streak-free)
- Journal/planner (To track water changes on all my tanks freshwater or salt as well as other changes such as tracking when I add more corals or other inhabitants)
- Nitrile (powderless) gloves
- A few more things I'm most definitely forgetting to mention

Also, quick torch update: my torch is officially dead as a doornail, but that's alright. Tried my best with the ciproflaxacin and amoxicillin every day for about a week, but it just kept jellying and getting worse until now it's just a sad lil skeleton. That's okay, I bought it knowing the risks, so all good even if a bit sad. It's currently sitting on top of my 75 gallon goldfish aquarium until I can be sure it's safe to put back into the saltwater aquarium. I don't want to take any chances, as it did have BJD on it.

A photo for you and I...
Excuse the dusty blinds (please), I'll be cleaning them soon, hopefully.

1700963634679.png

Last edited:

anoel91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there. I just bought the 15 gallon Nuvo and I was wondering where did you get your stand? Everything looks good btw :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back