Noise like waterfall in overflow box

drknudsenx2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up my 75 gallon marine land tank, and I am experiencing a ton of noise coming from where the water in my DT passes through the weir teeth into the overflow box, and the water falls a good 1-2 inches, cascading like water water rapids. I have been researching this problem on R2R, and I am using a Durso drain system. It seems that the best way of improving the high volume of noise that we are experiencing (that is making my wife unhappy) is to increase the water volume in the overflow box. I wish I had taken a picture of the set up, but it seems that the downfacing opening into the Durso is about 3-4 inches underneath the weir. Is my best bet to raise the Durso up out of the water so that opening to the drain is closer in line with the weir?
I know that decreasing the turnover of the pump will help too, which I have not had a chance to look at and see if I can alter.
Is there anything else that I am missing?
How to rebuild the Durso- just a longer pvc pipe from the bulkhead to the elbow?

Nhltc99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the water noise is from the display water splashing into the overflow water after going through the weir, you may want to raise the drain so the water level in the overflow box is closer to the bottom of the weird. If the noise is from air getting sucked into the pipe, thats a separate conversation.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you have to pay attention is where the U in the pipe is. That is where the water enters the pipe that drains down. A Durso is a standpipe with air control.

Slowing your pump will make it worse because it will lower the water in the overflow unless you slow it so much it runs down the inside of the front box. Then you dont have enough flow.

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
serveimage

Glott3133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this where a Gate Valve on the drain side will help reduce the noise. Allowing the overflow box to fill up with more water as it drains (A slower drain)?

OP
OP
drknudsenx2

drknudsenx2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the water noise is from the display water splashing into the overflow water after going through the weir, you may want to raise the drain so the water level in the overflow box is closer to the bottom of the weird. If the noise is from air getting sucked into the pipe, thats a separate conversation.
Yes, it sounds like I just need to raise the drain. There is actually minimal to no noticeable noise from the pipe.

What you have to pay attention is where the U in the pipe is. That is where the water enters the pipe that drains down. A Durso is a standpipe with air
thanks for the info, and that diagram is very helpful. Where can I find the end cap as an adjustable valve? Or is that necessary, or should I just drill a hole in the top?

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it sounds like I just need to raise the drain. There is actually minimal to no noticeable noise from the pipe.

thanks for the info, and that diagram is very helpful. Where can I find the end cap as an adjustable valve? Or is that necessary, or should I just drill a hole in the top?
Just put a ball valve on the top. It’s not a cap so much as a vent for the drain that you can adjust.

something like this.

7219FC66-7746-41F0-93A3-6990F76685C6.jpeg

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's not vented already you aren't running a Durso.
Do you only have one drain?
You should never run a drain the is turned down unless there is a vent hole. The turn at the top will trap air
and fail to restart if the return pump stops.

OP
OP
drknudsenx2

drknudsenx2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's not vented already you aren't running a Durso.
Do you only have one drain?
You should never run a drain the is turned down unless there is a vent hole. The turn at the top will trap air
and fail to restart if the return pump stops.
The one I currently have does have a hole at the top of the elbow, and there is a second hole on the side right at where the water line is at this time.

Abu yousuf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pool noise is from air getting sucked into the pipe what's going to water tank, how can i solve this problem

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back