0   0   0
Sure, here is the top.

As you can see the air hole is clear

tbaity1401

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just tried adding some old hose to the bottom. Worked a little, should this be added at the top or bottom of the drain?
Try adding the airline tubing in the hole above the overflow and see if it helps. Be careful because it might affect the water level in the overflow.

May not help though based on the most recent video you provided.

Tony's Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a little different than I was expecting. It is still and silent up there. And the air hole is actually quite large. Should be providing more than enough airflow. In this case, maybe too much now that I actually see it. Try closing off the hole with some tape or something else until it starts to get quieter under the tank. See if that helps.

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a little different than I was expecting. It is still and silent up there. And the air hole is actually quite large. Should be providing more than enough airflow. In this case, maybe too much now that I actually see it. Try closing off the hole with some tape or something else until it starts to get quieter under the tank. See if that helps.

Watch his video of the sump. You can see the air pulsing into the sump. That discharge needs to be above the water level...... I think

tbaity1401

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humor me and try this and tell us what happens! Airline tubing in the small hole.
fd83573362c8d766eb17a87e5b664810.jpg

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humor me and try this and tell us what happens! Airline tubing in the small hole.
fd83573362c8d766eb17a87e5b664810.jpg
This only works when you move the air line around to just the right dept and location where air pocket is at ...and it WILL NOT Work if the Drain is under the water in the sump... Some of the air is moving down the drain causing a air lock then releasing upwards causing the Surge and burping... The combination of this and raising the drain in the sump is prob the idea solution..

Tony's Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch his video of the sump. You can see the air pulsing into the sump. That discharge needs to be above the water level...... I think
Yup, after seeing what he has going on up top, I would have to agree. I'm running the Durso and as pictured mine are in the water and quite quiet. Not sure what about his is different but your reply above I'm starting to think is correct.

tbaity1401

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This only works when you move the air line around to just the right dept and location where air pocket is at ...and it WILL NOT Work if the Drain is under the water in the sump... Some of the air is moving down the drain causing a air lock then releasing upwards causing the Surge and burping... The combination of this and raising the drain in the sump is prob the idea solution..
I was assuming he'd move the airline around until he found the intended spot. I believe he said above that he raised his water level so lowering it back would achieve your recommendation.

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, after seeing what he has going on up top, I would have to agree. I'm running the Durso and as pictured mine are in the water and quite quiet. Not sure what about his is different but your reply above I'm starting to think is correct.
I experimented with this type of over flow for a while . My setup is quite different but utilizes dorso design with some changes .. Mine of course is on a much larger scale. my Return pump is reeflo hammer head at 5600 gph ...

Tony's Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's all good Erica. I saw his diagram and thought he had what I had almost exactly. His is slightly different though. I'm running a 10,000l/h which is about 2600gph and only have a single durso. It works for my setup, but I think my second tube going into the sump is what is allowing my setup to do what works for me. Definitely learned something today. Can't wait to see what the OP does that makes his setup quiet.

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WP_20180623_22_11_12_Pro.jpg

Here is my Modified dorso over flow.. Mine is 1 inch stand pipes that drop into a 2-1/2 inch drain that goes down into the basement and across the ceiling and into the sump

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the sump.. The pipe on the sump end . Hard to see but is OUT Of the water. This is the only way to stop air noise .

WP_20180603_10_55_13_Pro.jpg

Tony's Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is one heck of a setup right there Erica! Very nice. Sure wish I had the space to run a system like that. Would surely be more stable than what I have right now lol. Thanks for sharing.

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WP_20180601_19_31_08_Pro.jpg

If you look close you can see the over flow at the top left of the tank.. its almost 3 ft long and 1 inch deep its covered in GSP and Anthelia coral.. I know its a bad bad picture .. The tank is a Custom built 7 ft x34 inch deep tank... It goes back into the wall 8 inches the Pic above of the back over flow is actually behind the door in the bathroom ...

OP
OP
K

kiwis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay a few things played with

1. I can't part cover the air hole. It either does nothing or it gets too closed and the water in the weir drops
2. Air horse from the air hole. It lowered the water level in the weir slightly but did nothing to the water going into the sump
3. I raised the water level in the sump to test that. I've lowered it to the max level and well below. No change.

Video 1 here is when I've removed part of the drain to show water dropping and video two shows the water level, in the very right is my filter sock, just above that is a red marker, that's the max level.

Tony's Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That second video there is much quieter than it was. Maybe adding a 45º elbow to it to direct flow across the water? I'm just spitballing now though. It's what I would try anyway.

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
video number two looks best.. If you use that level in the sump. With pipe right above water level.. Then dial your return pump back just a tad bit should work..
I know its frustrating... This is the reason i love having a remote sump..

OP
OP
K

kiwis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
video number two looks best.. If you use that level in the sump. With pipe right above water level.. Then dial your return pump back just a tad bit should work..
I know its frustrating... This is the reason i love having a remote sump..

I can't dial back the pump. It's only go one and off settings... lol

I'm seriously about to give up on it. Surely water shouldn't be pulsing down the drain the way it is? should it?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.4%
Back