Noisy overflow

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't dial back the pump. It's only go one and off settings... lol

I'm seriously about to give up on it. Surely water shouldn't be pulsing down the drain the way it is? should it?

the way to dial back the pump is to put a valve on the output . If you look at my image above Number 34 You will see Ball valves above the pump on the manifold .. Some water bypasses the pump and power my Carbon reactor and circulate current on bottom of sump...

You could test this by crimping the output line if its vinyl tubing..

Did the pump come with the tank and is the recommended gph for that over flow..

1WildBill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just for S&G’s, have you thought about putting some LR rubble in the Sump where the drain enters? I know mine was quite noisy until I add rubble to it. It gives the water something to fall onto, instead of just splashing around.

OP
OP
K

kiwis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the way to dial back the pump is to put a valve on the output . If you look at my image above Number 34 You will see Ball valves above the pump on the manifold .. Some water bypasses the pump and power my Carbon reactor and circulate current on bottom of sump...

You could test this by crimping the output line if its vinyl tubing..

Did the pump come with the tank and is the recommended gph for that over flow..

I bent the return pipe and it seemed to work, I've now put a clamp on it and half shut it and it's doing nothing. I think when I closed it I must have shut almost all the water in the return off meaning it was only a few drops going down the return which is why it was quiet. again that's not the answer surely otherwise the sump is almost useless.

Matthew Frost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without seeing your whole plumbing setup I have a couple questions:

1. Does your drain change size between the top of the standpipe and the drain?

2. Are there any bends in the system or does it fall straight down into the sump?

OP
OP
K

kiwis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without seeing your whole plumbing setup I have a couple questions:

1. Does your drain change size between the top of the standpipe and the drain?

2. Are there any bends in the system or does it fall straight down into the sump?

1. No change in size
2. Straight drop after the top which is like a lower case r. Pic on my original post.

Matthew Frost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. No change in size
2. Straight drop after the top which is like a lower case r. Pic on my original post.
OK, this helps a bunch. Your issue likely has nothing to do with water volume and is likely related to velocity. Durso drains "usually" work best when there is a small decrease in size after the overflow chamber. It helps the drain pipe stabilize if it can kind of back some water up in the stand pipe. Second you need to have a bend or two in the pipe down to the sump to slow the water down a little. It's just my 2 cents but it looks like everything is dialed in or near dialed in at the top, you just have the water falling straight down into the sump and it's just traveling too fast.

Matthew Frost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've recently got a Aqua One Mini Reef system (120L), link at the bottom. The system seems to work very well however the overflow drain is ridiculously noisy. Like I can hear falling water right now in another room.

The water flows through into the weir and down into the drain as per this picture (1 is down, 4 is return). It's falling into the sump and I believe this is where the noise is coming from. The sump is filled to the specified level.

Can I please have some advise on how to quieten this system.

plumb.png

http://www.aquaone.com.au/2018-02-20-00-40-42/aquariums-3/minireef/item/3381-53419wh
Kiwis, what I have done in the past is pipe #1 would be 1 1/4" as an example, stepped down into a 1" bulkhead (#2) and then the drain pipe to the sump 1" (#3) with 2 90 degree bends with the tail exiting under the water. You try that and I think ok will find it to be much quieter if not silent. Then you will be tuning the amount of air at the top as many before have said.

OP
OP
K

kiwis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay so it's potentially as simple as water is falling from the top over the drain and "velocity" or "gravity" is making it splash? So i'll now need to go buy more stuff to shut it up lol.

Either make the drain decrease in diameter or put an S curve you have the water exit via a U bend...

Pretty bad for a out of the box kit.

OP
OP
K

kiwis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also why would water be pulsing out of the drain?

Matthew Frost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These kits are intended to be VERY basic in an effort to cover everyone's "starting point". The water isn't pulsing per say, it's swirling. That constant pulse you are hearing is every time the water "revolves" around the inside of the drain pipe. That's why we are putting two 90 degree bends in the pipe so we halt that revolution.

OP
OP
K

kiwis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, the latest on this is.....

I've purchased Fluval Foam Pad (2 pack) and shoved them up the drain, I've also folded up a 1-2 foot piece of air line tube and placed it under the two pads in the drain. The noise is all put gone. If the water pushed it out of the drain i'll probably put two small holes in the end of the drain and run a cable tie through it. So far so good.

The next small issue and it's much much much smaller is the trickle over into the weir. I might go get some filter wool which will soften the fall but also further polish the water.

My final issue which may not be solvable is the noise from the two pumps (skimmer and return pump)

fluval-u3-foam-pad-2-pack-a132917.jpg

OP
OP
K

kiwis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess the down side to this is it's more crap I've got to clean but it may help preserve the filter sock...

CookeRS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got the exact same tank bought about a week ago, and the sound(s) this thing makes are atrocious! I'll be writing to aqua one.

Lucky I'm not afraid to experiment and modify. I went with a ball valve in the sump allowing me to adjust the flow drastically reducing the noise. Got all of theses parts from local hardware store.

Also - where's your filter sock? They are kind of designed to reduce the noise (a little bit!)
20180620_194220.jpeg

CookeRS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I reduced the noise of the return pump and skimmer by placing them on some filter pads, almost silent now :)
20180621_181425.jpeg

OP
OP
K

kiwis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whereabouts are you based? I went to my local store and nothing would fit, either 32mm too small or 40mm and was the exact same size....

would be keen to see if i can purchase online somewhere, even if I got the part numbers.

Can you show me how you've set up the skimmer?

CookeRS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whereabouts are you based? I went to my local store and nothing would fit, either 32mm too small or 40mm and was the exact same size....

would be keen to see if i can purchase online somewhere, even if I got the part numbers.

Can you show me how you've set up the skimmer?
I'm based in Australia, I got my things at "Bunnings Warehouse". I shouldn't take all the credit, I got some assistance building this modified pipe from my local Aquarium shop. (very kind of him!).

The parts I used were 40mm, and conduits and such.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/holman-40mm-pvc-solvent-weld-ball-valve_p5070705

https://www.bunnings.com.au/holman-40mm-pvc-dwv-straight-coupling_p4756300

https://www.bunnings.com.au/holman-40mm-x-1m-pvc-dwv-pipe_p4770086

I'm working on some plans to silence the overflow in the weir, the protein skimmer air intake (the horrible girgle it makes) and vibration. I'll link you in on anything I find that works. [emoji106]

CookeRS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Side note...

I did read that you were hesitant about drilling the hole in the top. So I'll let you know that I had to cut the black pipe when I was doing that ball valve modification

(in case you were not willing to cut things...)

If you really don't want to cut your pipe you can try a some of the tips provided in this video I watched when I was looking for solutions.

It's a bit lengthy but it's helpful in understanding what's causing the noise.

OP
OP
K

kiwis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thanks heaps. I went to Bunnings here in NZ and nothing like it, I've just searched their NZ site and they definitely don't stock that. Looks like you may be able to get it elsewhere though.

It would be be great if you can keep me updated on anything you find the works.

OP
OP
K

kiwis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, did placing the filter pads under the filter and skimmer improve the humming or high frequency vibration sounds? Wondering if I pop into a pet store tomorrow and get one... approx how thick is the one you're using?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back