Not enough water through the sterilizer

nonowt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i finally managed to fit the uv sterilizer or at least i thought i had , i had plumbed it in after my two reactors that are being fed by a 1200l sump pump (just the pump i have no sump) But all i got from the outlet in to the tank was a small trickle not enough for the reactor never mind the rowa . So then i tried to plumb the sterilizer in to the inlet before the pump thinking there would be enough water flow to fill it then in to the pump , but all i got out of the uv in to the pump was a trickle of water . I was hoping there would have been enough pressure from the tank to fill it ?? The only thing i can think of it being as i am using the smallest diameter pipe that fits on to the barbs of the uv , is the pipe is just not wide enough , what do you guys think

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you may need to purchase a larger pump

You will need to give us all your hardware specs to answer your questions;
Sterilizer brand and size
Return pump model
Reactor models and whatever pertinent info

All hardware info related to whatever is connected to the plumbing is required.

Can't expect the community to answer your questions without the proper specs, can you?

OP
OP
N

nonowt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't expect the community to answer your questions without the proper specs, can you?
This is true very sorry
The sterilizer is a tmc vecton 120
The return pump is a jebao dcs-1200
As for the reactors one is a DD FMR75 Fluidised Reactor and the other is a ct algae reactor
I hope this helps

OP
OP
N

nonowt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok ty for your advice , when i take the uv out of the system the pump works fine with the reactors , in my mind it is the pipework that runs from the tank to the pump that is to small, in that it is the same diameter as the stuff i use to plumb in the reactors , that is why i thought if i placed the uv before the pump it would fill and the pump would work as normal . I think i have to replace my overflow and pipe work to the pump with the biggest diameter the uv/pump can handle .I do not think the diameter of the pipe/pverflow is big enough to use the uv the way i want to . I think i have to cut the blue barbs down so i can get as much flow as possible
s-l1600.jpg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try making the piping bigger. It is restricting your flow by adding too much head pressure.
Another option is a second pump just for the UV.

Your current pump is:
Flow rate:1200LPH(320GPH)
Max lift head:1.5M(4.9feet)

OP
OP
N

nonowt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you as always guys for your advice i have thought about this last night and you are right the diameter of the pipe is to small .I am limited by the size of the pipework after the pump because of the fittings on the reactors , so i thought if it got something like 3/4 inch pipe on the inlet side from the tank to the uv then to the pump but leave the outlet the same then it should fill the uv up and not have any probs with water flow to the pump . The uv is being gravity fed from the tank and the pump is only on about 50% at the mo to keep the rowa bubbling what do you think ? I know a lot of you will go:eek::eek::eek: at this setup but as i have said i have not got a sump and do not wish to strip my tank down to drill it now

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 6.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 82 79.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.9%
Back