Novice construction advice for wall mount.

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I planned fixing light mounts to my wall or stand prior to placing my tank/stand with water.

Anyways, now that I have a 2,000 pound structure fixed in my room, I wish to hang lights up and not from my ceiling.

My RMS mounts coincidentally are 16” center in center, same as my studs, however all my studs are about 2” right of all my mounts (2” off from being centered with my tank too).

What clean way could I go about this without using drywall anchors (three XR30s plus aluminum strut don’t weigh much, but I still would like to be anchored to studs to avoid lights falling into tank)? Ideally it would be 2 arms from the wall, but I can be talked into any variety that works. Can’t mount to tank stand since I only have about 3 1/4” clearance from stand to wall.

Photo for reference.
IMG_3567.jpeg

TheFunnyFarm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could run a continuous finished piece of wood across, fasten into the studs, and fill/bung the holes.

I see you didn’t want to use drywall anchors, though there is a heavy duty type that I use in my residential/commercial architectural millwork installs. They can hold a lot of weight with great shear rating:

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could run a continuous finished piece of wood across, fasten into the studs, and fill/bung the holes.

I see you didn’t want to use drywall anchors, though there is a heavy duty type that I use in my residential/commercial architectural millwork installs. They can hold a lot of weight with great shear rating:

Yep. I've got a shelf that is easily in excess of 25lbs. that I hung with two of those anchors and it has been rock solid for years.

mherb24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I planned fixing light mounts to my wall or stand prior to placing my tank/stand with water.

Anyways, now that I have a 2,000 pound structure fixed in my room, I wish to hang lights up and not from my ceiling.

My RMS mounts coincidentally are 16” center in center, same as my studs, however all my studs are about 2” right of all my mounts (2” off from being centered with my tank too).

What clean way could I go about this without using drywall anchors (three XR30s plus aluminum strut don’t weigh much, but I still would like to be anchored to studs to avoid lights falling into tank)? Ideally it would be 2 arms from the wall, but I can be talked into any variety that works. Can’t mount to tank stand since I only have about 3 1/4” clearance from stand to wall.

Photo for reference.
IMG_3567.jpeg
Mount a piece of wood to the wall wide enough to be centered on the wall above your tank and tall enough for the brackets to be mounted to. I’d make it a few inches wider and tall, route the edges and paint.

3/4” x 20” x 10” or so

OP
OP
B

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mount a piece of wood to the wall wide enough to be centered on the wall above your tank and tall enough for the brackets to be mounted to. I’d make it a few inches wider and tall, route the edges and paint.

3/4” x 20” x 10” or so
Yeah, I can see that. Have it so that although it’s not secured on center, the overall length would be centered and then mount the rails to those strips.

I just have to make sure it has a good finish to look good exposed on the wall.

mherb24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I can see that. Have it so that although it’s not secured on center, the overall length would be centered and then mount the rails to those strips.

I just have to make sure it has a good finish to look good exposed on the wall.
Yup. Exactly. And I’m glad I spent that extra time on the finish. It will be right in your face every time you’re looking in your tank.

Good luck. Post pictures when your done.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back