NRHS Shark Hatchery Lab Project

jlanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reef2Reef community.

This is going to be a thread documenting an independent study project of hatching and raising small sharks by my son at his high school.

I've asked if I could bring this project over to Reef2Reef to share with this community and I was granted permission to do so.
This project was initially started late last summer and I've been documenting it on my local forum (TCMAS.org) and my personal Facebook page. By bringing the thread over to Reef2Reef, it would broaden the audience and hopefully elicit more response/discussion with the project itself.

Since this project has been ongoing, I'll post the dates of the original post to help recreate the timeline.
Let's get you all caught up. This first post will be a long one!!!

August 31, 2017.

It appears that this next year will be full of new experiences for my son; and myself.

My son, Eric, will be starting his senior year of high school next week and he will be taking a biology independent study course. These courses usually involve the student presenting a project that they will work on throughout the year, conduct research and experiments, submit reports and whatnot.
He's considered breeding clownfish or cardinalfish in the past but wasn't all too thrilled about doing that. During our last visit to Rhinelander (LiveAquaria's Aquaculture Coral and Aquatic Life Facility) , he noticed a tank full of banded cat shark eggs. He asked if we could set up a tank at home to hatch a shark. I mentioned that he could do that as his biology project; not thinking it was even a possibility.
This week, he approached his instructor and she was actually on board with that idea. The school has an established aquatic lab consisting of three freshwater systems, but one of them is currently empty and could be converted to saltwater. The instructor told Eric that he needed to search out resources and additional support; that'd be me. Eric has already reached out to Kevin with LiveAquaria about sourcing equipment and livestock; and he's on board. I have reached out to a few people that I know asking for input and recommendations. Eric and I will be meeting with his instructor and the school to discuss his project tomorrow. Based on the amount of outside support we can garner, the school is willing to ask for grants to establish a saltwater program at the school. My son wants to be the student to bring attention to the ocean and its inhabitants to his school; and to have the program continue beyond his involvement.

Why didn't we have opportunities like this when we were in school?

Eric plans to study the marine sciences when he attends college next year. He has a definite interest in sharks and wants to pursue a career in studying them, so a project like this (while still in high school) will be a great step towards his future goals.

And I'm excited to be along for the ride!
Wish us luck!

September 1, 2017.

Post Instructor Meeting Update.

Our meeting with Eric's instructor went rather well. She seems just as excited as were are about this project.
When we arrived, she had a class in session (freshman started today, everyone else on Tuesday), so we toured the lab for a while. The lab consists of two systems. The large system has two large vats (800gal each) hooked up to a commercial sized filtration system with a bead filter, biofilter, UV sterilizer and other gadgets that are currently housing tilapia that are grown and then sold. The smaller system (the one Eric gets to convert) consists of a 800gal vat with a much simpler filtration system; sediment tray, biofilter and mechanical filter that is all run via an air pump and uplift plumbing.
So the good news is that the system is a clean slate and is ready to be torn down as soon as needed for conversion. The bad news is it is a clean slate and much work and potential changes will need to be done for the conversion. The more immediate plan is to design a system (standard aquarium set up) that can house the shark eggs and juvenile sharks, send off Eric's proposal to various sources for support and donations and then begin the dismantling and conversion of the vat system.
This is going to be quite the commitment for my son, so we'll see how he does; and we'll see how much I get/need to contribute.

September 13, 2017.

I posted this on my Facebook page, but I thought I would add it here as not everyone I know here is on Facebook.

Jason Langer is looking for volunteers.
19 mins ·

Attn: My Saltwater Aquarium Friends

My son, Eric, has started his senior year of high school and is already pursuing his interest for an education in the Marine Sciences. He is taking an Independent Study course for the year to concentrate on his personal interest in sharks.

Our high school has an existing freshwater aquaculture lab with multiple vat systems where they raise tilapia and blue gill each year. The school has granted Eric the permission to start a saltwater system and the opportunity to convert one of the large freshwater systems to saltwater. This will be a new venture for the school and its biology department. Eric's goal is not only to raise to sharks, but to bring attention of the entire ocean and the life that lives there to the school and student body.

This will be an ambitious adventure for Eric that will involve a lot of time and hard work; and support. I applaude Eric for his drive and ambition and I have volunteered to support and assist him during this project.

This is where I reach out to you and ask you to read Eric's proposal and request for assistance with his project.

"Hi. My name is Eric Langer.

I am currently a senior attending New Richmond High School in New Richmond, Wisconsin. I am currently working in our aquaculture lab that has been running for almost ten years.
This year, I am working on a project for my Independent Study course involving sharks. My goal for this project is to hatch and raise some smaller species of sharks; i.e. coral banded sharks, horn sharks and/or catsharks . And I hope to grow this small project by converting an existing freshwater 800 gallon system into a saltwater system based around sharks and rays with other compatible and easy to keep fish. The ultimate plan is for these systems to continue running after I graduate, bringing saltwater aquaculture to our high school.
As most of you know, saltwater systems aren't cheap, and getting hands on materials needed for my project as a full-time enrolled high schooler isn't the easiest thing to do.
My goal is to set up a 75 gallon aquarium with a 20 gallon long sump. I will need the basic equipment to set up this system; i.e. tanks, filtration, heating and lighting. Other needed materials are items like salt mix, sand and live rock, water filtration equipment and materials, water conditioners, test kits and foods. A saltwater aquarium system will be new to our aquaculture lab so I will be starting from ground zero. Any donations are greatly appreciated as this will be a huge step for me as a high schooler in furthering my career in Marine Science.
As for the 800 gallon system, I am hoping to get more information about how the school will allow me to receive donations for a protein skimmer to switch over the current 800 gallon system from freshwater to saltwater; as there are some changes that need to be made for the switch to happen. I would also like to get some feedback on the system I have to work with and what changes should be considered.
Last, but not least, I will eventually need to acquire some shark eggs.

Feel free to email me if you have any recommendations or questions at [email protected] or for a list of items needed for these projects.
You are also free to ask any questions or leave any comments in this post.

Thanks you for your time.
Eric Langer"

As Eric's dad, it's very exciting to see his enthusiasm and eagerness towards furthering his education and start a path towards a career he (and I) will enjoy.

Thanks for taking the time to read this; and Eric's proposal.
If you have any questions or comments that you would like to ask me, send me a PM. I am more than willing to be the liaison between you and my son.
If you think of anyone that could possibly be of assistance to Eric's project, please share this with them.

I took some photos of the existing system when I visited the lab; I'll post those later.
The existing system is one of the pre-packaged systems offer by Aquatic Eco-Systems. It's a 1000gal vat (filled to 800gal) with a bottom drain that feeds a sediment tray, a bio-tower and a mechanical filter tower and it's air driven; a large air pump is hooked up to a manifold that feeds multiple airlift tubes. The only other piece of equipment is a drop in heater. So there's not much to work with (for now), but it's a place to start.

The smaller system that will be converted.
36792445476_f7eafa503d_b.jpg

36583145910_66e4d99190_b.jpg

Here's the filtration systems.
The tub has two drains; one drain feeds the sediment tray and the other drain goes to the mechanical filter and bio-tower.
What you cannot see is that there's a drop in heater in the main tub; one of those long "L"-shaped ones with the heating element sitting just off the floor of the tub.

36583145840_195c4361a9_b.jpg

The heart of this system; an air pump.
The pump is connected to a manifold that has eight lines going to various lift tubes to move the water. If I recall correctly, two lines are for returns, two lines are for circulation, two lines for the sediment tray, one line for the bio-tower and one for the mechanic filter.

36583145630_fa885b7fba_b.jpg

It's a primitive system for a saltwater system that we're used to, that's for sure.
It's definitely going to be an ambitious project to convert this to saltwater, but I think there's a lot of potential with what we have.

In the background of the third photo, you can see the other system; which must be the one Riley described. This one has two tubs hooked up the the bead filter with a nicer bio-tower, in-line UV system and other gadgets. I'm guessing the third tub was bogarted for the smaller system and additional (cheaper) filtration components were purchased to run it.

October 4, 2017.

Over the weekend, we were able to procure a used 90gal display tank, a 30BR sump and a Mag 7 return pump from a TCMAS member's classified listing. The stand was shorter than desired so I passed on it; I can build what we need.
Eric brought the 90gal system to school already to start cleaning it up. Once the tanks are cleaned up, it'll be time for him learn how to be a plumber. And this weekend, we will build the new stand; nothing fancy, just a typical 2x lumber build.

The better news of the week is that the school officially approved Eric's proposal and he can start collecting equipment and donations.
Eric was permitted to start a GoFundMe account to help raise funds to purchase needed equipment and supplies. Please take a moment to visit his page and consider helping him out.

Eric Langer - Shark Hatchery Lab

If you have anything that you would like to donate to the lab, please let me know. The sooner Eric can get the necessary equipment, the sooner he can get some shark eggs; which he already has two suppliers waiting for the system to be ready. As funding comes in, Eric will start ordering the basic equipment needed to get the system up and running; plumbing, pumps, lights, heaters, filtration media and salt mix. If you have anything laying around in boxes that you think could be of value to the lab, let me know.

I, personally, would like to thank everyone that takes a moment to contribute to Eric's project; whether by donating or contributing in this thread. Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

October 15, 2017.

And we're off; sort of.
Our first order of supplies arrived; a new RODI unit along with a heater, comprehensive test kit and basic plumbing supplies. I stopped by the school on Friday to deliver the supplies to the lab and worked on setting it up. We got the tank on the new stand, new bulkheads installed and I figured out what we needed to do for the plumbing. I wish we could've gotten more accomplished, but when it's a school day with students milling around, and the class is just under an hour long, time flew by!
The next steps will be to install the RODI unit to one of the water sources, acquire a couple of water reservoirs and start making clean water and mixing saltwater. I brought in a box of salt mix for when the water is ready.
We're still looking for a lighting source (but that's not urgent) and a small controller; mostly to control the heater with a temperature probe and eventual lighting timer.
We already have sources for live rock, sand and shark eggs lined up, so it's a matter of getting the tank filled up and running.

The fundraising on GoFundMe has been crucial to get this project started. Every donation is greatly appreciated; even if it's just a buck or two. If the fundraising reaches it's goal, we've talked about having an "Open House Tour" to show everyone what their donations have created for the school's aquaculture lab. (And there just may be some new cookies revealed during the event!)
In addition to monetary donations, any unwanted equipment would be greatly appreciated. There's always a need to have extra supplies on hand; back up heaters, pumps, thermometers, refractometers and maintenance supplies. And any unwanted consumables would be appreciated; carbon, filter pads/socks/floss, RODI filters and salt mix.

"Thanks!" to everyone that has donated thus far; dollars or equipment.

Here's Eric next to the hatchery system.

37663086516_02f8902e11_b.jpg

October 22, 2017.

This past week, we were able to get the plumbing finished on the hatchery system and ran a leak test. Other than a drip coming from the return tubing and hose barb, we're ready to start making saltwater this next week.

A huge "Thank you!" to TCMAS member Riley for donating a protein skimmer to the project. This is a huge help to maintaining a clean system and allowing the monetary donations go towards other necessary components of the project. Riley also threw in an old Brute container that will serve as one of the water change maintenance containers.
Eric and I drove over to Riley's house to pick up the donations and in doing so, we got to see his very own shark system. We were very impressed with all of it. I think Eric was more impressed with the number and size of Riley's sharks while I was impressed with the meticulous attention to detail and the quality of work Riley put into the filtration system. It was definitely inspiring on all accounts.

So this next week, Eric will start to make RODI water and begin mixing up the first batches of saltwater. He will also send out updates to a few people that have offered to donate live rock and sand.

November 20, 2017.

There's been a few updates. I've updated the FB posts but forgot to add them here.

Before the end of October, we got the plumbing finished and filled the tank with saltwater.
LiveAquaria donated and sent Eric a few essential items including two boxes of their new salt mix. Along with the salt and supplies, the donated a few bags of live sand and two boxes of cured Reef Ready Live Rock.

38522228072_a402d134d3_b.jpg

After a couple weeks of cycling and adding bacteria, the water was cycled and we were ready to add the first livestock. Eric and I attended LiveAquaria's Open House tour in hopes of getting some eggs for the system. We knew ahead of time that all of the eggs that had been in stock had hatched, but they were hoping to get more in prior to the tour. Unfortunately, no new eggs had arrived and all of the pups that hatched had been purchased.

In hopes of good karma, the cookies that I made for the LiveAquaria staff this visit were of Banded Cat Shark pups.

38788429135_22a838cac5_b.jpg

While at LiveAquaria, we purchased some more supplies including a simple Marine LED fixture with programming capabilities so we don't have to worry about the lighting. We won a box of salt mix in the raffle, so they're good on salt for a little while.

In the meantime, we will be adding a controller to the system; Thanks for the donation, Ryan(RSnodgrass)! The controller will allow us to set up the ATO system with a BRS dosing pump we bought from Eric (eschulist). We also bought a larger return pump from John (patent) to see if we can increase the flow through the tank and system.

Eric has feelers out there for more sources for shark eggs but there doesn't seem to be many available at this time, so we wait.

I'll stop the first post here as we're about to get to the exciting part of the project.
Thanks for reading and following along!

OP
OP
jlanger

jlanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
December 15, 2017.

Another long overdue update. (I've been really busy lately!!!)

For the boring part of the update...
The ReefKeeper Lite has been installed and is controlling multiple heaters and the top off pump. We still need to pick up a smaller container for just the top off water; using the 44gal Brute container now. Eric swapped out the Mag 7 pump with the Mag 9 pump; much better flow in the display tank now.

Now the exciting part...
December 1st was the delivery date for the first donation of shark eggs. Kevin Kohen and LiveAquaria sent Eric a couple of boxes containing ten Banded Cat Shark eggs. The eggs were acclimated and added to the tank.

24220174267_cf7608673a_b.jpg

24220174037_2d14ac4cab_b.jpg

The eggs were placed along the front glass until a better method of organizing the eggs could be figured out. I took photos of each egg for identification purposes.

38371711314_54819d3df3_b.jpg

And here's a close up of one of the eggs.

38371711494_71169f6d27_b.jpg

I also took a short video that first day of one of the more active embryos.

Eric has spent the past couple of weeks documenting the weights and measurements of the egg cases. As the embryos develop, it will be interesting to see if the weights change much as the sharks grow.

I was finally able to design, build and install a magnetic "egg rack" in the display tank.
We spent this morning tying the egg cases to a removable tile that sits on the rack. This system allows the eggs to be elevated off of the sand bed, organized in their numerical order and in easy viewing for the students visiting the lab. Each egg case can easily be removed from the rack for inspection and study.

24220174147_abcf613ae5_b.jpg

Having the eggs displayed near the front glass and closer to the lighting, we can easily view the shark embryos inside of the cases.

38371711664_6ba6cc51d6_b.jpg

Here's one of the videos I took today while at the lab.

So as the project stands today, the smaller hatchery system is just about completed (build-wise) and is functioning as needed.
Here's a photo of Eric with his project.

39081146781_2f1b47c808_b.jpg

The next [planned] step in this project is to start converting the larger 800gal system over to saltwater. When I arrived at the lab this morning, the system was already drained and they were cleaning out the filtration reservoirs. This is going to be the more demanding part of the project; lots of hard work and acquiring more resources for the conversion. If you would like to contribute to the project, please contact me and we can discuss options or I can direct you the project's GoFundMe account. Every little bit helps immensely. Thanks!

December 31, 2017.

One last update before the new year.

We stopped by the high school lab Saturday night to check on things as we had been gone for the previous three days. It's good thing that we did. With the extremely cold temperatures and lack of activity at the school from the holiday break, the hatchery system was running a little low on water in the sump and the water temperature had dropped about five degrees. After some basic maintenance and adding a second heater (directly in the display), everything seems back to normal.
We stopped back in today (Sunday) just to make sure everything was status quo. The temperature was back up to normal and the water level in the sump was dropping again. There is a BRS top-off pump set up on the controller, but it must not have a long enough timed cycle to keep up with the current rate of evaporation. A simple change of the timer and we'll see how it looks tomorrow.

The shark eggs are doing well; all ten of them appear healthy and active. I spent some time today scraping more of the algae off of the egg cases so that we have a better view inside of the cases. It was interesting to see the different stages of development amongst the embryos. A few of them have grown quite large and have small yolks remaining while there are a few that are quite early in their development. The larger embryos are probably in the 4"-5" range while the smallest are maybe 2" at best. The larger embryos have their distinct colored banding while the younger embryos still have a solid white coloration.

Here's the latest pictures and some clips of the shark eggs.

A lot of the attention has been on Egg #8; the largest and most developed.
This was the positioning Saturday night before removing some of the algae off of the egg case. The head is pointed down and the body and tail wrap up and around the remaining space inside of the egg case. The yolk sac can clearly be seen to the right of the head.
39388766562_8f4f4fa419_b.jpg

Here's the same egg the next morning after cleaning up the egg case.
The embryo has flipped position and now has its snout tucked into the top right corner with the body and tail wrapping around the yolk sac.
39388766772_1724158833_b.jpg

Here's a video clip of Egg #8 showing the embryo pumping water through its gills.

I also took a video of a pair of the smaller embryos (Egg #4 and Egg #5) to show the earlier stages of development, but a two minute video was reduced to about eight seconds after the camera decided to auto-focus on the background once the eggs shifted in the current.
You can still see how active these tiny embryos are in the shortened clip.
Egg #4 (left) has the embryo laying on top of the yolk sac with its tail wrapping back towards the head on the left side.
Egg #5 (right) has the embryo coming up over the yolk sac so you can see the embryo bobbing up and down as it breathes.

Here's the class picture of the ten eggs after getting all cleaned up.
Even the lone surviving fish made the picture; an aquacultured Rainford's Goby to the far left of the rock work.

27641863529_312907d5a5_b.jpg

As for the other half of the project...
Here's the large vat system as it currently appears.

38710899084_27f5087be5_b.jpg

The system has been completely drained and is being cleaned prior to converting it over to saltwater. At this time, this part of the lab project is awaiting more assistance before it can continue. This is a 1000gal tub that typically runs at 800gal capacity; which requires a large volume of salt mix. Any donations made to the project at this time will go towards acquiring enough salt to get this system operational.

January 1, 2018.

We went back to the lab today just to check everything out again; and take better videos.
For these clips, I turned the water pump off so that the eggs didn't move around unless the embryos caused them to stir.

Here's a better clip showing the two smaller embryos and how active they are inside the egg cases.

Here's three of the eggs that show the different stages of development. The largest embryo (left), one of the smaller embryos (center) and one that's right in between. You can see the different activity levels in the three distinct stages.

And here's a clip of Egg #6. This is the same egg that was first shown back in early December. The embryo has grown quite a bit but still finds a way to move about inside the egg case.

January 13, 2018.

A quick update...
Everything has been running smoothly on the 90gal hatchery system at the lab. After cleaning up the egg cases, many of the students have commented on how cool it is to watch the embryos inside. Most of the students that I talk with have their predictions as to which one will hatch first; and they all ask the question of when will they hatch. Since all of the embryos still have yolk sacs visible, it will still be some time yet before any of the sharks hatch.

What was really interesting to see was the change in development with two of the embryos over the past eleven days.
The first video in the previous post shows Eggs# 4 and #5. These were two very active little embryos that lacked any coloration. The following clip shows those two embryos (along with Egg #3) and you can see that the banding has developed on Egg #4 and is just starting to show up on Egg #5 across the forehead.

While at the school on Friday, two officers from the Wi-DNR were touring the lab which accommodates both aquaculture and agriculture projects. While talking with the officers about the shark hatchery project, one of them mentioned to me that we could submit a request to the Wi-DNR for a grant that supports aquaculture programs in the state. This could be a great help in getting the large vat system converted over to saltwater and allowing the project to continue once the sharks hatch. Eric will be writing up a request and submitting that soon.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting project. What are you planning to do with the sharks once they hopefully hatch and grow?

OP
OP
jlanger

jlanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting project. What are you planning to do with the sharks once they hopefully hatch and grow?

The initial plan with the sharks is to send them back to the LiveAquaria facility once they grew large enough.
This will probably still be the plan even though there may be the large vat system in place. I'm not sure the school would be interested in keeping the sharks after Eric finishes the year, but who knows for sure.

Coincidentally, this was the very first question asked on my local forum.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always good to have a plan, they grow fast :) there are a few groups, I think one is out of MA, that have tried doing this for both educational and conservation purposes. I’ll have to dig out names, perhaps could be worth connecting. Very cool the school is supporting your son’s interest in this and seems like a well designed project! Best of luck and looking forward to seeing baby sharks!

Greckel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am surprised to see that a high school has a dedicated aquatic lab. That's a wonderful resource, and it looks like your son is making full use of it. When do you expect the first (seems to be #8) to hatch? I do not know the incubation period for sharks.

OP
OP
jlanger

jlanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am surprised to see that a high school has a dedicated aquatic lab. That's a wonderful resource, and it looks like your son is making full use of it. When do you expect the first (seems to be #8) to hatch? I do not know the incubation period for sharks.

A high school with an aquaculture lab is uncommon. When the high school was built ten?? years ago, the aquaculture lab was part of the overall plan for the biology department. The school also includes agriculture labs (there are chickens, rabbits, small mammals and some reptiles) and a greenhouse. Every year, the aquaculture program brings in freshwater tilapia and blue gill as small fry and the students raise them to full size and then sell them off at the end of the year. This year, one of the large tubs has juvenile bass. And other freshwater tanks in the lab have small perch and walleye. So setting up a saltwater tank and bringing in shark eggs is an exciting next step.
There are other schools in the area that visit the lab in New Richmond for their biology programs. I've heard that some of the schools in the Twin Cities have aquaculture programs but they do not have the larger rearing systems, so they come over to do assignments at our school.

Many of us also expect Egg #8 to be the first to hatch. Banded Cat Shark's will hatch anywhere from 4-6 months after being laid. Unfortunately, we don't know exactly when each egg was laid, so the best we can do is monitor the size of the embryo and yolk sac. Until the yolk sac is completely consumed, the embryos still have more time to grow.
Part of Eric's study is documenting the various stages of development. Taking photos weekly will help us identify what changes occur at those stages. Since we have been able to witness when the colored bands show up, we can reference that date when those sharks hatch to place a timeline on their development.
Eric was also tracking the weights of the egg cases, but there's so much variation in the weights from week to week that it's probably inconclusive data anyways; mostly due to water weight in/out of the case at the time of weighing the eggs.

OP
OP
jlanger

jlanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update.

A few weeks ago, two eggs were lost. After an extended weekend (no school), my son found two of the eggs covered in a white jelly-like substance and the two embryos had passed. Unfortunately, Egg #8 was one of those lost. No one is sure as to the reason why the two embryos died, but it is a common occurrence when hatching shark eggs. Thoughts of doubt and gloom were entering some of our minds as we questioned whether we would have any eggs hatch at all.

However...
Monday was an exciting day for Eric and the Shark Hatchery Lab as they welcomed their first shark to the lab.
Months of daily anticipation had finally paid off.
During this morning's inspection of the tank, it wasn't noticed right away but the pup was found resting on the sand bed. Egg case #6 was empty. The new pup spent much of the time settled behind the rocks and Eric had turned off the aquarium lights for the day.
Today's events have turned everyone's moods around; and now everyone is asking when the rest of the sharks will hatch.

So here's just a couple of quick screenshots from some blurry video of the newest resident of the shark hatchery system.

We introduce to you; Pup #6!

25362698987_4e689cd329_b.jpg

25362698867_534f66e568_b.jpg

25362698777_6e00c9fdf7_b.jpg

I stopped in for a short visit Thursday night to see if i could get the pup to eat anything. Unfortunately, it was sleeping and seemed annoyed with my attempts to feed it. As I would dangle thawed squid or silversides near it's mouth, the pup would snuggle tighter into the rocks.
Hopefully, we have better luck this weekend as we plan to stop in a couple of times.

Here's the sleeping pup under the rock.

39412768465_0c023762f5_b.jpg

A couple of the other eggs have been very active and those embryos look close to hatching also.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats to your son and you! That’s just really great, both his ability to convince his high school to support something like this and success in raising a shark!

Keep us posted how things go! You’ve already succeeded in “beating nature” as often times shark eggs get eaten well before even close to hatching or simply aren’t viable. Great news!

OP
OP
jlanger

jlanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In case you're not following along on the Facebook page, here's some updates.

February 19th, 2018.

We stopped back into the lab tonight to try and get the new shark pups to try yet another food option; mysis shrimp. After a few failed attempts (on my part; mysis shrimp are small and difficult to feed by tongs), we were successful!
At first the pups seemed to struggle with swallowing the shrimp, but I wonder if this is all a part of growing up.
Both pups fed on some of the mysis shrimp offered by the tongs, but it was too laborious to feed in this manner. So I shut off the water pumps and I was able to use a pipette to place numerous shrimp near the pups. This proved to be a better option as the pups were able to pick at the shrimp on their terms.
Hopefully we've now found a gateway option to getting the pups eating prepared foods.

After the pups had eaten, they decided it was a good time to explore the tank and one another.
I was able to get some really nice video clips and photographs of the two pups together. Once I dimmed the lighting to a more dusk-like atmosphere, the pups really started to get active. From now on, we're going to try and feed the pups in the evening as this is when they're more active in the wild.

I was hoping that if I stayed around long enough that I could get video of another shark hatching. Embryo #2 looks to be bursting at the seams in that egg case and it was moving around periodically throughout the visit. But tonight just wasn't the night; at least while I was there.

Here's Shark Pup #10.

40527773171_bfb02933ba_b.jpg

And here's the two pups hanging out behind the rocks.

39817459894_a5202b8295_b.jpg

February 21st, 2018.

Another visit to the lab tonight and more pictures...
The two pups ate some more mysis shrimp, but they're learning how to chew their food.
Once they smell the shrimp in the water, they become very active. Today, they seemed to like to pose for the photos.

39817460204_0370bb8ac2_b.jpg

38717494780_ab497cb710_b.jpg

40527773571_074b749b03_b.jpg

Have you seen enough photos of the new shark pups?
How about some video?!

The two pups hanging out together under the rocks.
Shark Pup #6 (larger pup) is 9 days old.
Shark Pup #10 (smaller pup) is 4 days old.

Here's another video of the two shark pups.
It's really cool to watch these little sharks wander around the aquarium. They spend most of the time walking around, but they do periodically get the confidence to swim for a few seconds.
Near the end of this video, Shark Pup #10 eats a piece of the mysis shrimp. You can see that the pups are still new to eating solid foods. (Chew your food!)

February 27th, 2018.

The two shark pups have been doing very well over the past week. They are both eating very well; a huge thanks to Larry DuPont and his LRS Fish Frenzy food.

Since the pups are usually napping when we show up for morning and late day feedings, we needed to find a way to entice the pups to wake up and eat. We add some of the water from the food cup to the display tank. The smell of the food wakes up the pups. We then turn off the water pump to reduce the flow in the display and place a little bit of the food on the sand bed near the pups. The pups smell the food, search for it and suck up tiny morsels; chewing on the bigger pieces.
The past handful of days, I've been placing the food in the same location in hopes that the pups recognize those spots as feeding areas. The front right corner has become their favorite spot to hang out and feed. The past couple of feedings, I started to feed the pups with a twist.
Stick it!
About a year ago, many hobbyists feeding the LRS foods were sticking the frozen food onto the aquarium glass and allowing the fish to pick at the food. I thought I would try it out with the shark pups. Wouldn't you know it... they knew exactly what to do!

Here's a couple minutes of video from last night's feeding.
Shark Pup #6 really likes to eat the polychaete worms; it takes some work, but it manages to eat those big bites.

OP
OP
jlanger

jlanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since the last update...

March 6th, 2018.

Over the weekend, we lost two more eggs (#2 and #9); still uncertain as to any causes. We've read that there's about a 30% success rate when hatching shark eggs, so there was some concern about the remaining eggs.
But this morning, Eric let us know that another shark pup hatched overnight; Shark Pup #3. Eric said that the new pup ate the LRS Chunky frozen foods right away; that was surprising!
When I stopped by this evening to see the new pup, it was already out front waiting for its first photo.

38854497690_949282dfff_b.jpg

When I went to feed the pups, Shark Pup #3 was the first to go after the food! This new pup quickly erased all concerns about its health. After I finished the feedings and turned the water pump back on, the pup started swimming all over the tank from bottom to top! Hurrah!!!

Here's a couple of photos of the three pups hanging out together after their feeding.

40664448991_1b524d1fc7_b.jpg

And I like this one... Say, "Cheese!"

38854497760_e54b44d8d1_b.jpg

And here's some video that was taken right after all three of the pups were fed; and eating some more!!!

March 18th, 2018.

Not much to update.
There are still have two eggs left to hatch.
The three pups are doing very well. When it comes to feeding time at night, we dump some of the water from the food cup into the tank to let the pups know that it is feeding time. They respond by sticking their noses up into the water sniffing for food.

39074901840_2662b05bbf_b.jpg

Once they realize that food is coming, they start swimming around looking for it. We are now feeding the pups by using a very long pipette. By using the pipette to suck up a piece of the LRS Chunky frozen food, the pups can easily chomp and remove the piece of food from the end of the pipette. After feeding each pup a couple of pieces, a few pieces are left loose for the pups to find on their own; which they are quite capable of doing already, even with the water pump left running. (The female Bangaii Cardinalfish also feeds at this time.)

I'll try to get some new video taken of the sharks as they're more active now. It's really neat to see them swim about the tank looking for food; or just exploring the tank.

I almost forgot!!!
Last week, a student at the high school has expressed interest in continuing the shark hatchery project for the next two years. We have not yet been able to sit down and discuss the project with her and the school; our spring break week. There's a lot to figure out and schedule for this to continue, but it is exciting to know that this may not be a one-and-done project.

Back