Nutrient crash - corals suffering

damselindistress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Afternoon all,

My tank is 3 years old and up until recently I have always had high nutrient issues, which I've thrown the kitchen sink at with no lasting success until recently. I apparently hit the magic recipe or my tank finally reached stability and my tank was looking really. For the first time I was successfully growing some acros and all corals were flourishing. Several weeks back I noticed everything getting a little pale. My tests for the big 3 were showing nothing unusual and I had not tested nitrates or phos for montttths because I wrongly assumed they were high as always.

Imagine my surprise when I purchased the new Hanna nitrate checker and my nitrates tested 0 - zoinks. I tested repeatedly. Also tested with a red sea nitrate test that I never felt confident using but also showed 0. Drug out the Hanna ulr phos checker, 0.016 ppm. So, reduced skimmer time and started feeding like crazy and adding more aminos (red sea ab+). Two weeks in and still cannot get a nitrate reading. Coral colors have slightly improved but not what they should be.

I had been using NP Bacto Balance daily but stopped because it is a nutrient reducer, but it also says on the bottle and website that it prevents nutrients from reaching zero - I'm confused? Should I resume it?? Or should I start dosing nitrates? If I need to dose nitrates what's the best way for a non technical person to achieve that safely lol? Thanks in advance for your help.

Tank parameters as of today:
60 gallons
Alk 9.6
Calc 460
Mag 1340
Nitrate 0
Phos 0.016 ppm

Growth is stalled and colors are washed out, zoas not happy. Only thing happy is toadstool, xenia and mushrooms - boo to all three . They were early inhabitants that refuse to die.

20210821_162008.jpg

OP
OP
damselindistress

damselindistress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should add for clarity - tomini tang, pair of clowns, purple pseudo, yellow tail damsel are the only fish. Most of my snails have died over the last few months and I now realize they were likely starving.

Currently dosing brightwell reef code a/b on dosers and then 3 times a week on alternate days seachem reef plus, brightwell trace (I don't do frequent water changes), red sea ab+.

I feed NLS pellets, LRS reef frenzy and frozen mysis daily, then oyster feast, mysid feast and vitachem 3-4 times a week.

Upvote 0

renzema

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used stump remover when I needed to pull up nitrates. Worked great. I tried feeding heavy and never got a reading. The corals just ate up everything as soon as it was there.

Got up to 4ppm over a week and then pulled back until it stabilized. I discontinued use after about 2 weeks and now stay at 4 ppm. Just needed the initial boost.

google the calculator and it’s pretty straightforward

Upvote 0

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used stump remover when I needed to pull up nitrates. Worked great. I tried feeding heavy and never got a reading. The corals just ate up everything as soon as it was there.

Got up to 4ppm over a week and then pulled back until it stabilized. I discontinued use after about 2 weeks and now stay at 4 ppm. Just needed the initial boost.

This is the first I have heard of a way to bring up nitrates. Can you kindly point to exactly what and how to do this? Thank you!

Upvote 0

renzema

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Upvote 0

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the first I have heard of a way to bring up nitrates. Can you kindly point to exactly what and how to do this? Thank you!

Food grade might be a bit safer:

Or reagent grade:

Upvote 0

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not hard to hand dose nitrates and phosphates. Like others have said there are plenty of reefers, myself included, who have used a solution of stump remover to add nitrates, but there are "safer" options like sodium nitrate.
If you are not comfortable with using the diy solutions you could always buy neonitro and neophos to raise them.

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I do not recommend stump remover due to lack of purity control, and the fact that it boosts potassium (which is a possible concern unless you monitor it closely).

IMO, sodium nitrate (food grade or ACS reagent grade) or calcium nitrate are better choices.

Upvote 0

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not recommend stump remover due to lack of purity control, and the fact that it boosts potassium (which is a possible concern unless you monitor it closely).

IMO, sodium nitrate (food grade or ACS reagent grade) or calcium nitrate are better choices.
Thanks for posting this Randy. I read twillard's thread and thought, no way am I giving this a try. I have just gotten over dino's but my nitrate continues to stay at zero. I have turned off my sump and started feeding more. Would this be the best first action to take before trying the sodium nitrate? @Randy Holmes-Farley

Upvote 0

Cjeippert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When my nitrates crashed, I have also found it best to add some nitrogen additive slowly over a couple days in fear of overdoing it. But basically a one time adjustment until things fall back. I learned to test nitrate and phosphate once or twice a week to see if things are creeping up or down. Because below 2 ppm NO3 in my tank have a big negative effect on corals. Kills my acro frags and makes stylo flesh pale

Upvote 0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back