Nuvo Fusion 30L Flow

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about going with the nuvo black 30l and plumbing an overflow box to the back. And then I can run a much more powerful return pump, and/or mount mp10s to the rear wall.

I think 2 mp10s on the back wall is overkill IMHO. It’s only like 12 inches or so to the front glass.

Of course it’s all up to you, but I would like to see you use the stock pump and spinstreams, and just a simple non controllable tunze for $50 places on the back wall, in a corner, aimed to the front center.

You will be surprised how much good, random flow there is.

The spinstreams will continuously break up the flow from the tunze.

Then you will have a lot of cash to spend on more important things like corals!

If you are doing primarily softies and zoas, what I recommended is PLENTY.

I love the tank! Good luck with yours and I would be happy to offer up any advice from what I have learned.

OP
OP
Phantom6966

Phantom6966

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think 2 mp10s on the back wall is overkill IMHO. It’s only like 12 inches or so to the front glass.

Of course it’s all up to you, but I would like to see you use the stock pump and spinstreams, and just a simple non controllable tunze for $50 places on the back wall, in a corner, aimed to the front center.

You will be surprised how much good, random flow there is.

The spinstreams will continuously break up the flow from the tunze.

Then you will have a lot of cash to spend on more important things like corals!

If you are doing primarily softies and zoas, what I recommended is PLENTY.

I love the tank! Good luck with yours and I would be happy to offer up any advice from what I have learned.
Hmm, this is kinda what I was thinking original too. The more I think about it though, the more I like the idea of having a sump. And if I went with the nuvo black 30l, my display would be larger also. Only thing is that I've never plumbed a tank like this before and the task does seem daunting. You have any experience with installing an overflow box?

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, this is kinda what I was thinking original too. The more I think about it though, the more I like the idea of having a sump. And if I went with the nuvo black 30l, my display would be larger also. Only thing is that I've never plumbed a tank like this before and the task does seem daunting. You have any experience with installing an overflow box?

I never installed an overflow my self but wouldn’t be afraid to try. Lots of good info available and I am a DIYer. Your display won’t get any bigger unless you remove the sump wall. Are you planning on removing it?

Do you already own the tank?

OP
OP
Phantom6966

Phantom6966

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never installed an overflow my self but wouldn’t be afraid to try. Lots of good info available and I am a DIYer. Your display won’t get any bigger unless you remove the sump wall. Are you planning on removing it?

Do you already own the tank?
Oh no, I don't have it yet. I'm thinking about getting the nuvo black 30l, which is the same tank without the sump compartment built in.

Last edited:

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am selling my complete system if you are anywhere near South Carolina

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any input from somebody who just uses the return pump for flow with the spin stream nozzles? I too am going to pull the plug on this tank in the very near future, and I don't want to have any power heads in there. I want a very clean minimal look. I currently use a 800 gph pump at 1/4 setting to travel 3.5 feet on my 55g. I can't imagine using a higher setting. I'm thinking a 400gph return pump in the back of this 30L would be sufficient at giving the tank the flow it needs with the spin stream nozzles... no?? It's certainly not travelling 3 feet to get to the tank... you're looking at almost zero head pressure... but again, I've never really tested it or seen it in action.

Also, for those who have the power heads in there in addition to the return pump, you must have high flow in there, right? Enough for demanding SPS?

BC-reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 30l with the stock pump and nozzles. I am running 2 eflux 660 wave pumps - one on each end. this setup provides a great amount of flow. I went with the smaller model power heads which are not too bulky.

I do plan on trying the spin stream nozzles and also possibly a sicce pump. One caution around a bigger pump would be if you want a sandbed. Already the water flow from the return pump pushes my sand around near the front wall.

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran 2 spin streams off the stock pump and a Tunze 6040 controllable. They provided good flow for my LPS and zoas and nems.
BTW, I have a lot of equipment for sale for an IM30L including caddy baskets, ghost skimmer, reactor, spinstreams, a bunch of socks, and a maxspect razor light.
d4ed3d0f5d536f26db7b5743bb4267b5.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 26.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back