Nuvo Fusion 30L Flow

Phantom6966

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm looking into upgrading to a nuvo 30l. Im wondering what others are having success with as far as flow in this tank? I really don't like the look of powerheads in the display, especially mounted on the ends of the tank. I'm planning on running mostly LPS/softies and potentially some SPS later on. I'm wondering if anybody is having success without powerheads, and perhaps just running upgrades returns with the spinstreams.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm looking into upgrading to a nuvo 30l. Im wondering what others are having success with as far as flow in this tank? I really don't like the look of powerheads in the display, especially mounted on the ends of the tank. I'm planning on running mostly LPS/softies and potentially some SPS later on. I'm wondering if anybody is having success without powerheads, and perhaps just running upgrades returns with the spinstreams.

I have always like the streamlined look of this tank.

So I don't know what size tubing feeds the stock nozzles on this; however, there is a company 3D printing "Random Flow Generator" nozzles. They are really freaking cool. I know they have a bunch of adapters but without knowing what size tubing the Nuvo uses I am unsure if they have the right one. Maybe @Vivid Creative Aquatics can help?

https://vividcreativeaquatics.com/user-reviews-videos/

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always like the streamlined look of this tank.

So I don't know what size tubing feeds the stock nozzles on this; however, there is a company 3D printing "Random Flow Generator" nozzles. They are really freaking cool. I know they have a bunch of adapters but without knowing what size tubing the Nuvo uses I am unsure if they have the right one. Maybe @Vivid Creative Aquatics can help?

https://vividcreativeaquatics.com/user-reviews-videos/

We have our Innovative Marine adapters that pair up with our 1/2in RFG nozzles. it's really easy way to upgrade the flow these types of All-in-ones.
https://vividcreativeaquatics.com/product-category/aquairum-specific/innovative-marine/

They serve a simair purpose as the Spin Stream but have no moving parts and work through fluid dynamics. They can help to create a more randomized flow pattern than the Spin Stream can, since it's not mechanical.

However, they may require an upgraded return pump depending on the type of flow you want out of the RFGs.

EDIT - for the Nuvo 30L, you'll likely need to the 19mm adapter, but you'll want to check to be sure.

OP
OP
Phantom6966

Phantom6966

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the responses guys. The stock return pump on the 30l is around 475gph if I remember correctly. What kind of power do you think I would need to make these an effective replacement for a dedicated powerhead in this application? Or at least somewhat close. I checked out your site and watched a few videos and I don't see how these nozzles could be all that effective without a pretty powerful pump behind them. Unless used in a pretty small tank.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the responses guys. The stock return pump on the 30l is around 475gph if I remember correctly. What kind of power do you think I would need to make these an effective replacement for a dedicated powerhead in this application? Or at least somewhat close. I checked out your site and watched a few videos and I don't see how these nozzles could be all that effective without a pretty powerful pump behind them. Unless used in a pretty small tank.

We recommend a minimum of 250 to 400 GPH (to the nozzles) for two RFGs depending on the type of tank you planning on keeping. Given that you are leaning towards LPS but with some SPS, you are correct in that the stock pump may not be able to provide the kind of flow you really want when using just RFG nozzles. However, there are a number of pumps that can provide enough GPH to drive the two 1/2in RFGs in the 30-gallon Nuvo and may provide enough flow and variation that you could get away with one or maybe no addition flow pumps.

look into the Jebo Dc-3000 at the lower end of the price scale or maybe even the new Vectra S1 at the other end of the price scale. Both can provide enough GPH to really make the two 1/2in RFGs effective in that size tank.

Hope that helps

Esage

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've been thinking about doing this with my IM 50 lagoon. I've been thinking about replacing the stock pump with two Sicce 1.5 return pumps. I have Softies, LPS, and RBTAs. The issue may be that there is not enough room in the rear chamber to fit larger pumps. It seems people have issue fitting the Sicce 2.0

OP
OP
Phantom6966

Phantom6966

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been thinking about doing this with my IM 50 lagoon. I've been thinking about replacing the stock pump with two Sicce 1.5 return pumps. I have Softies, LPS, and RBTAs. The issue may be that there is not enough room in the rear chamber to fit larger pumps. It seems people have issue fitting the Sicce 2.0
Wow, that tank only comes with a 211gph return? I'm surprised people are having trouble fitting larger pumps in there. I always thought the lagoon tank had a much larger back chamber. The sicce 1.5s is what I was thinking of going with. That would put me in the 700gph range, which on a 30g tank I would think should be good. But the vectra s1 has caught my attention now. I like the idea of having an easily controllable pump. But there are limited reviews on it, and most of them aren't good.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that tank only comes with a 211gph return? I'm surprised people are having trouble fitting larger pumps in there. I always thought the lagoon tank had a much larger back chamber. The sicce 1.5s is what I was thinking of going with. That would put me in the 700gph range, which on a 30g tank I would think should be good. But the vectra s1 has caught my attention now. I like the idea of having an easily controllable pump. But there are limited reviews on it, and most of them aren't good.
I love my M1 but haven't followed the S1 at all.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just looked it up and looks like it won't fit in these tanks anyway.
How about the Jebo DC3000. it's a very small controllable pump. I have used it as a pump in our previous demo tank for the RFGs. It can push some water.

WP_20170516_15_26_23_Pro.jpg

OP
OP
Phantom6966

Phantom6966

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about the Jebo DC3000. it's a very small controllable pump. I have used it as a pump in our previous demo tank for the RFGs. It can push some water.

WP_20170516_15_26_23_Pro.jpg
Actually no, it won't unfortunately. It looks like the maximum width pump that could go in there would be around 2.75". Based on what I've found so far, it looks like 2 sicce 1.5s are my best bet. They push around 350gph each.

OP
OP
Phantom6966

Phantom6966

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But honestly, it's looking like having a powerhead/wavemaker of some kind might be unavoidable.

Mjl714

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see you wanted to talk flow, so I hope don’t mind me asking, what lighting are you putting on tank?

Zoaeasy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a first gen gyre in the one side and an MP 10 on the other side. The gyre is very unobtrusive and barely visible, whereas the MP 10 is very visible. I run the gyre 2" under the waterline .Also using spinstreams .

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my IM30L I ran the stock pump with spin streams, and a tunze 6045 controllable in the back corner aimed to the front middle. Together they generated awesome flow throughout the tank.
9cf3a99cba077c10095dfd5454cc4452.jpg

OP
OP
Phantom6966

Phantom6966

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about going with the nuvo black 30l and plumbing an overflow box to the back. And then I can run a much more powerful return pump, and/or mount mp10s to the rear wall.

OP
OP
Phantom6966

Phantom6966

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's an awesome tank man. Pretty much my goal.
On my IM30L I ran the stock pump with spin streams, and a tunze 6045 controllable in the back corner aimed to the front middle. Together they generated awesome flow throughout the tank.
9cf3a99cba077c10095dfd5454cc4452.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back