O zone question

LEOreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been doing research on ozone in the reef aquarium. I am well aware of the risk and dangers but also well aware of the benefits. I know I could just run carbon with a similar effect. I would like to know how people have there ozone set up? I have a sca 50 gal with appropriate sized stand. Room is an issue and I don't have enough room to run a separate skinner or ozone reactor. One question I have is could I run ozone through a airstone in the sump ? It would be hooked up into a orp probe on a apex. My thought was if I could run it in front of the skinner I take that it would go into the skinner that way.
This by no means is 100% set in stone just looking at o see what people think ?

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all honesty, I wouldn't even bother with ozone unless it was a large tank and you could set it up properly with an ozone compatible skimmer or separate reactor.
If you're dead set on it, I'd replace the Skimz. LifeReef skimmers (i highly recommend them) are ozone compatible and recirculate unused ozone so no carbon is needed, but you'd have to see if it would fit in your sump. Footprints are listed on their website.
http://lifereef.com/venturi.html
You'll also need an orp probe.

nervousmonkey

LPS Lover, SPS Enabler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree 100% with what Dennis said. No reason at all to implement ozone unless you are going to take advantage of the strengths of ozone, which happen to be greatest on a large tank with a water volume that makes water changes become a hindrance to tank husbandry. Water changes are almost always preferable to ozone, and although ozone can really clarify water while chemically breaking down waste byproducts, water changes with activated carbon are much better for the health of your tank.
Besides this, there is a reason why ozone should be used in a reactor or a skimmer designed for its' use. An air stone gives you all of the risk with none of the benefits of ozone. Ozone is not like oxygen that dissolves in water, it does dissolve but only for a few seconds, while reacting rather powerfully with waste byproducts. It would not work at all to just put the flow in front of a skimmer. You will have zero results by doing this. Definitely wait until you have a skimmer or reactor that can handle it, and even then, research ozone a LOT before implementing it. It's cool you are asking questions though, and thinking about it. Good luck!

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using ozone for many many decades. In the old days - with Fish only tanks - We pumped ozone directly into our tanks using limewood airstones. Those airstones made the most beautiful fine bubbles rising to the surface.

Big Angels would swim into the cloud of bubbles and issues like Lymphocystis would go away.

Now that we have protein skimmers, ozone is used to increase the effectiveness of the skimmer.

I'm a huge fan of Ozone. And as long as you are able to keep it from getting to strong (in a smaller tank) it's a huge boost (in my humble opinion) for your aqaurium. I haven't kept a saltwater tank less than 300 gallons in over 20 years - And for the past 20 years all my tanks have Ozonizers of 300-500mg/hr that run 24/7

Dave B

shiftline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been debating doing the same thing. I just picked up a 5-50mg unit and am
Thinking of running it into my skimmer on a 120g tank.

OP
OP
LEOreefer

LEOreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been debating doing the same thing. I just picked up a 5-50mg unit and am
Thinking of running it into my skimmer on a 120g tank.
I mm really leaning towards running one also especially since I have a apex controller with orp prob but I'm not sure how I would hook ozone into the current skimmer I have ?

shiftline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mm really leaning towards running one also especially since I have a apex controller with orp prob but I'm not sure how I would hook ozone into the current skimmer I have ?

You need to make sure your skimmer is rated for ozone. We talked about it in the live steam last night. May be worth a watch :)

JBNY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using ozone for many many decades. In the old days - with Fish only tanks - We pumped ozone directly into our tanks using limewood airstones. Those airstones made the most beautiful fine bubbles rising to the surface.

Big Angels would swim into the cloud of bubbles and issues like Lymphocystis would go away.

Now that we have protein skimmers, ozone is used to increase the effectiveness of the skimmer.

I'm a huge fan of Ozone. And as long as you are able to keep it from getting to strong (in a smaller tank) it's a huge boost (in my humble opinion) for your aqaurium. I haven't kept a saltwater tank less than 300 gallons in over 20 years - And for the past 20 years all my tanks have Ozonizers of 300-500mg/hr that run 24/7

Dave B

Agree 100% I have been using ozone for 15 years. A big fan of it too.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are plenty of good reasons to use ozone. As well as a few bad ones. But the posistive outweigh the negatives. Ammonia oxidation is one good reason, so is increased dissolved organic removal by carbon.

Dogtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water clarity in ozonated tanks is respectable, I have to admit. I'm looking for a good ozone setup for my own system now. Does anyone have experience using the ultralife ozone/UV combo units? What I like about what I'm reading about them is that they don't require a dryer since they are bulb based ozonators. That would mean reduced maintenance and no need for the dryer. Would love to hear some feedback on that style ozonator from the experienced ozone users out there.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys run carbon on your skimmer output or the skimmer vent holes?

I ran it both in the air vent and the water outlet from my DIY ozone reactor. IMO, you don't want to be dumping ozone into your air, or the tank water.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Your name. You don't happen to live in Gloucester or Rockport, MA, do you? We have a Dogtown there (an old abandoned settlement in the woods). :)

Dogtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your name. You don't happen to live in Gloucester or Rockport, MA, do you? We have a Dogtown there (an old abandoned settlement in the woods). :)

Hey Randy, I live on the west coast of Florida. I looked up Dogtown, Ma and Dogtown commons shows up near Gloucester. I'm guessing that is where you are talking about?

I was big into skateboarding as a kid in the 70s and there is a another place known as Dogtown, which is just outside of Los Angeles, CA. The sport was pretty much born there with big names like Tony Alva (big at the time anyway). Thanks for asking!

OP
OP
LEOreefer

LEOreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some great info on this thread and that live stream was killer. I'm so torn I might start with the carbon reactor for now but the ozone is so appealing as I have limited room.

shiftline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that carbon will give you 80% of ozone. I'm at the level where I want to experiment with it. If I stick with it long term is still TBD. My skimmer is ozone rated so I figure it's worth a go. I'm just waiting for the 120>220v adapter.

I'll have to rig up something to hold the carbon. On the flip side i also read that ozone will oxidize within a few seconds so most should be used up but better safe than sorry!

I'm glad you enjoyed the steam. I do one ever Wednesday at 4pm pst if you ever want to join or hop on the hangout :)

OP
OP
LEOreefer

LEOreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that carbon will give you 80% of ozone. I'm at the level where I want to experiment with it. If I stick with it long term is still TBD. My skimmer is ozone rated so I figure it's worth a go. I'm just waiting for the 120>220v adapter.

I'll have to rig up something to hold the carbon. On the flip side i also read that ozone will oxidize within a few seconds so most should be used up but better safe than sorry!

I'm glad you enjoyed the steam. I do one ever Wednesday at 4pm pst if you ever want to join or hop on the hangout :)
How do I get onto the chat? And what kind of ozone system do you have ?

shiftline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are subscribed on YouTube (and hit the bell) it gives you notifications when it's live but the direct link is http://YouTube.com/ReefDudes/live

Also have a Facebook group http://Facebook.com/groups/reefdudes which I usually post it to
It's a YouTube live stream but I generally dropped YouTube hang out link for others to hop on and voice chat, ask questions, show off tanks. Ect. It can be lots of fun!

I bought a cheaper china 5-50mg ozone generator. Should hopefully have my power converter tomorrow.

Did you guys do anything fancy for the carbon holders on the skimmer outputs?

OP
OP
LEOreefer

LEOreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are subscribed on YouTube (and hit the bell) it gives you notifications when it's live but the direct link is http://YouTube.com/ReefDudes/live

Also have a Facebook group http://Facebook.com/groups/reefdudes which I usually post it to
It's a YouTube live stream but I generally dropped YouTube hang out link for others to hop on and voice chat, ask questions, show off tanks. Ect. It can be lots of fun!

I bought a cheaper china 5-50mg ozone generator. Should hopefully have my power converter tomorrow.

Did you guys do anything fancy for the carbon holders on the skimmer outputs?
Just requested to join on Facebook! I'll be watching closely on your results !

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 23.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back