O zone question

shiftline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good! Approved!

If any of you guys run ozone. Post pics of your Reactor or skimmer / carbon solutions.

I started getting crazy and designing a 3d printed holder but I'm debating if it's worth it all. Biggest hold up is my ORP probe is buffered so may replace that first

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Randy, I live on the west coast of Florida. I looked up Dogtown, Ma and Dogtown commons shows up near Gloucester. I'm guessing that is where you are talking about?

I was big into skateboarding as a kid in the 70s and there is a another place known as Dogtown, which is just outside of Los Angeles, CA. The sport was pretty much born there with big names like Tony Alva (big at the time anyway). Thanks for asking!

lol, OK. Yes, that's the one I meant. :)

shiftline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm making a ring to hold carbon on top of the skimmer vent holes. Do you guys have any fancy methods of holding carbon at the skimmer outflow?

How often would these carbons need to be changed?

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've started looking into ozone but it seems like the options for reaction are limited. I don't think my skimmer is rated for it, but I'm not necessarily looking to change out my skimmer at this time. Not seeing a whole lot of options for reactors that aren't skimmers. Are there any reactors (similar to lifereef's skimmer claims) that don't require carbon on the output? Part of why I want to use ozone is to stop using carbon...

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw, I do use ozone but a very small amount of it. I find it's use at a very small rate helps my skimming but anymore I find my skimmer less productive. If that is a positive or negative either way I don't know.

Lifereef and MTC make great skimmers useful for ozone injection. IMO I belive an injection of air under pressure, like a venturi injector, is superior at aeration vs a skimmer that just chops up the air like a needle wheel skimmer.

Post on my ozone setup with my mtc skimmer and how I used to tape up the top holes and recirculate the air with previous skimmers.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/mtc-mvx-skimmer-review.252436/page-4#post-3101922

On my observance of the efficiency of air injection and aeration of a mazzei venturi injector vs a needlewheel

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/mtc-mvx-skimmer-review.252436/page-9#post-3671848

shiftline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my understanding carbon lasts along time on the skimmer outputs and are a little added safety but I'm still curious to hear from others on it

Ebbi Flow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has half life, and needs more focused contact time, said even if recirculating carbon upon exit of skimmer or reactor.. heighten carbons effectiveness as well! Plus the carbon failsafe to like Nervous Monkey spoke about by-products, etc..

Ebbi Flow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using ozone for many many decades. In the old days - with Fish only tanks - We pumped ozone directly into our tanks using limewood airstones. Those airstones made the most beautiful fine bubbles rising to the surface.

Big Angels would swim into the cloud of bubbles and issues like Lymphocystis would go away.

Now that we have protein skimmers, ozone is used to increase the effectiveness of the skimmer.

I'm a huge fan of Ozone. And as long as you are able to keep it from getting to strong (in a smaller tank) it's a huge boost (in my humble opinion) for your aqaurium. I haven't kept a saltwater tank less than 300 gallons in over 20 years - And for the past 20 years all my tanks have Ozonizers of 300-500mg/hr that run 24/7

Dave B
Good to know.

Ebbi Flow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Randy, I live on the west coast of Florida. I looked up Dogtown, Ma and Dogtown commons shows up near Gloucester. I'm guessing that is where you are talking about?

I was big into skateboarding as a kid in the 70s and there is a another place known as Dogtown, which is just outside of Los Angeles, CA. The sport was pretty much born there with big names like Tony Alva (big at the time anyway). Thanks for asking!
Yup! They even have a real estate company named Dogtown, etc....Management in Venice

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@o2manyfish @JBNY @Cory

Are you running ozone into your skimmer or using a dedicated reactor?

I'm struggling to find dedicated reactors. All I've found are the Reef Octopus reactor (which seems like it's been out for a long time, reviews are from 2012) and one from Geo's Reef. I had also considered picking up a smaller skimmer to run the ozone but I'm not keen on needing to modify something right out of the box (i.e. rig something up for carbon on air and water outputs), and I assume using a dedicated ozone reactor would be more efficient than using a skimmer designed for something other than it's intended purpose...

shiftline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just going to use my main skimmer since they said it's made for ozone. I'm going to make a ring on top to cover the vents and hold carbon. And likely rig up something for the water output

Dogtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
remember that if you exhaust all your air outside, you eliminate the need to maintain activated carbon to clean the air forever.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@o2manyfish @JBNY @Cory

Are you running ozone into your skimmer or using a dedicated reactor?

I'm struggling to find dedicated reactors. All I've found are the Reef Octopus reactor (which seems like it's been out for a long time, reviews are from 2012) and one from Geo's Reef. I had also considered picking up a smaller skimmer to run the ozone but I'm not keen on needing to modify something right out of the box (i.e. rig something up for carbon on air and water outputs), and I assume using a dedicated ozone reactor would be more efficient than using a skimmer designed for something other than it's intended purpose...

Yes i run into a smaller crappy skimmer that i dont mind if it breaks.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes i run into a smaller crappy skimmer that i dont mind if it breaks.

If its sole purpose is for being an ozone reactor I would experiment with geting a smaller skimmer pump, fill the body with bio balls, sealup the top (gorilla tape) except for one hole and feed that back to the skimmer. Use a T to pull air from both the collection cup single hole and the ozone reactor. Put a valve on the tubing coming from the collection cup so more air is pulled from the ozone reactor then the collection cup.

That will recirculate the air from the skimmer so no need to worry about escaping ozone into the atmosphere and increase reaction time in the skimmer body like an actual ozone reactor.

Which skimmer? Depending on skimmer the exit pipe if it has one could be modified to come up and U back down dumping the water into a bag of GAC.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its sole purpose is for being an ozone reactor I would experiment with geting a smaller skimmer pump, fill the body with bio balls, sealup the top (gorilla tape) except for one hole and feed that back to the skimmer. Use a T to pull air from both the collection cup single hole and the ozone reactor. Put a valve on the tubing coming from the collection cup so more air is pulled from the ozone reactor then the collection cup.

That will recirculate the air from the skimmer so no need to worry about escaping ozone into the atmosphere and increase reaction time in the skimmer body like an actual ozone reactor.

Which skimmer? Depending on skimmer the exit pipe if it has one could be modified to come up and U back down dumping the water into a bag of GAC.

Sounds good. Its a sca 302. As of yet i dont smell any ozone as its only 50mg an hour. It exits trhough the bottom, so i cant do the u shape thing. So far so good.

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You still need some way for gas to exit the system though, so maybe a second hole up top?

I was thinking about plugging the holes on the lid of the collection cup and drilling small holes in the bottom of the cup. Then put some foam at the bottom of the cup and fill the cup with carbon. So the gas rises up the neck and then down through the carbon in the cup and out the bottom of the cup. Not sure if much gas would escape out of where the lid meets the cup or if it would need to be taped on to the cup or something. Can't silicone it in place since you need to change the carbon.

And the carbon on the water output is another issue... would prefer something that could hook to a reactor. I feel like carbon in a bag will be too turbulent and lead to carbon fines and a place to catch detritus.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The air is pulled back in and recirculated. Check out the life reef

Post on my ozone setup with my mtc skimmer and how I used to tape up the top holes and recirculate the air with previous skimmers.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/mtc-mvx-skimmer-review.252436/page-4#post-3101922

92f32e533ee83dd54271d1f2128c518f.jpg

Last edited:

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But if you continue to pump gas (ozone) in, then gas has to exit the closed system somewhere, or else it would continue to build up, right? Unless by recirculating, 100% of the gas introduced completely dissolves into the water and exits with the water?

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 71 44.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back