Oceanic Tech 120

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're going to rewind the clock a couple years and show how my current tank got started with a few pictures. I was lucky enough to pick up a nice used 120 Tech tank from a local reefer.

Here was the setup empty I purchased:

I was upgrading from a 90g so I had to keep my livestock in a Rubbermaid tub for awhile. It actually worked out pretty good:

Filled up waiting on the cycle:

An early shot:

The hair algae days:

A few months after the tank was going I picked up my center piece for the tank, a nice sized elegance:

A progression shot post hair algae:

The elegance was settling in nicely in no time:

I also had a huge derasa clam that has since moved on to grace someone else's tank:

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my favorite additions was this male Bluestar Leopard wrasse. I tried getting him a female but he chased her down the drain which didn't go well for her.

Some zoa colonies:

At one point I tried an algae turf scrubber, but have since scrapped that. I couldn't ever get it working as well as I would have liked:

Another progression shot:

Some coral shots:

The elegance has grown and really taken over the center of the tank:

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is about the most recent FTS I have:

I have also since plumbed in a 30g frag tank into the main system, as shown here:

Unfortunately, I will be moving within the next couple of months so will have to do a total teardown and moving of both systems. The upside is it gives me a chance to re-scape and re-plumb some thing I might have done differently.

Current fish:

Foxface Rabbitfish
Scopas Tang
Leopard Wrasse
Six-line wrasse
6x green chromis

I want to add more livestock and have a few things in mind but am not sure I should be adding new livestock with the impending move.

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank. How long have you had the Leopard wrasse? I've been wanting one for a while but know they can be finicky.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm asking a lot of people about dosing 2 or 3 part because i will need to soon. I am thinking about a bubble magus 3 way doser. What kind of advice would you give about calcium and alkalinity levels?

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank. How long have you had the Leopard wrasse? I've been wanting one for a while but know they can be finicky.

I added the Leopard wrasse in January of 2012. I actually bought it off another local reefer so I had it easy, it was already accustomed to tank life and eating prepared foods.

I did just pick up an Ornate Leopard wrasse tonight though so we'll see how that goes!

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm asking a lot of people about dosing 2 or 3 part because i will need to soon. I am thinking about a bubble magus 3 way doser. What kind of advice would you give about calcium and alkalinity levels?

First of all, I think doser is the way to go. I don't have one and am very inconsistent with my dosing. I think if I was either consistent or setup dosers my tank would really take off.

That being said, as far as levels I aim for 450ppm for calcium and around 9 for Alk. The biggest thing is to be consistent and keep your levels pretty steady. Do a lot of testing at first to find out what your takes uses in a given time and set your dosers up accordingly.

Good luck!

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all, I think doser is the way to go. I don't have one and am very inconsistent with my dosing. I think if I was either consistent or setup dosers my tank would really take off.

That being said, as far as levels I aim for 450ppm for calcium and around 9 for Alk. The biggest thing is to be consistent and keep your levels pretty steady. Do a lot of testing at first to find out what your takes uses in a given time and set your dosers up accordingly.

Good luck!
I'm ordering some new test kits next month. Thanks!

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my new additions added over the weekend.

aqatatuq.jpg

I also picked up a Macropharyngodon ornatus, Ornate Leopard wrasse but have yet to get a good picture of it.

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time to update this thread to say this tank is no longer in existence. I have downsized to a rimless 80. I know, who downgrades, right? But thus far, I'm quite happy with the decision. I will pop some pics of the new set up up this weekend!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 61 43.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 48.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.5%
Back