Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to shed some more light on the when to add coral question.. I personally think its best to wait for nitorgen cycle to finish (check with ammonia, nitrite, nitrate test kits), then add fish, then wait till some algae or diatom comes up.. and a few snails/hermits (3 snails, 2 hermits) .. and wait till things stabilize.. if algae outgrows, then add more cuc, else less.. at the same time introduce first set of corals. Its generally 15 days to a month after the nitrogen cycle is finished. Its very very hard to hold off buying livestock during this phase :) , and we'll understand if you do. Everytime you'll visit LFS you;ll feel the pull, tank is cycled, and you have real estate to spare., so.. :).

But I would highly recommend not to buy corals on-demand, and do research before adding them. Even if you like sometime, get a picture, ask the name and discuss it in your thread. From ease of care to aggressiveness to location in the tank, theres a host of things that can go south with SPS.

BadPanda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the set up so far except for the lights. Like everyone else, I would change the lighting. I currently have two AI primes on a mixed reef and is doing fine. +1 with LED shadowing. I bought a cheap large colony only to have the shaded areas bleach on me. The frags on the other hand are thriving. Look into my thread for details. The A80's might be ok for LPS but not SPS I believe. Also check fleebay regarding ATO resevoir. Found a 2.5 gal acrylic for 90 shipped. Not a name brand but does the job. Skimmer yes since you starded with live rock. I starded with dry to avoid the possible unwanted critters. Also research and research again until you are not doubting any decision regarding what to add or remove. Took me eight years to finally go on the deep end. Again welcome to the hobby and enjoy your new set up.

OP
OP
OffTopic

OffTopic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sicce is a quiet return pump (just noticed you already got that). The pain with a80 is that they are also very wide. But its ok if you are supplementing with t5. I will worry about too much wiring/stuff on the top. A160s can be reused in any larger tank, a80 i doubt. I use a 1G used kent salt jar as ATO water. I would use anything fro container store thats around 1G and food grade. BRS two parts is good, b-ionic is also good. You'll need them in a month or so , at earliest, so you have some time to research on that front. I'll say once cycled, wait till you get green algae and then add CUC. Once CUC is stabilized then add montipora at bottom, and then slowly next harder sps, giving a month of half in between. Its ok to add two or more frags at a time, as long as they get proper light acclimation.
I cant quiet explain in very scientific way that why dry rocks are bad. I have had serious issues with sps and specific dry rock island in my tank. I also read through forums (and a video with Mike Paletta's interview ) is all i can reference. Ceramic balls of some brand are known to leach aluminum, particularly under high flow. In nano tanks, they can also cause detritus traps (since skimmer have limited mileage). Probably it will be fine if its bleached and then throroughly cure, but I think its not worth the risk and time. The other end, risks of introducing pests via live rock is much managable. Particularly with nano tanks. From buble algae to majano and aiptasia.. you can literally wage manual war fare with them and take them out during weekly water changes. I think its good to learn how to deal with them (particularly the natural cures and how to avoid them), at the same time. This is the media basket i was talking about: https://intankaquatics.com/innovative-marine-fusion-nano-lagoon-peninsula-media-basket/
go simple, go with good equipment. wait as much as you can in between any changes. stability is key with SPS.

Thank you so much for the help on this, I am truly a beginner trying to learn my way. I think I might talk to my LFS owner as he was the one who recommended me the light. Notably I probably should have done more research on it, but I spent over two hours at the store that day explaining all of my plans and how I wanted to do SPS. I think if I tell him I will purchase two Kessil 160WE, I at least have a chance of a partial refund. If that doesn't work out then I will go with the T5 idea just to lower costs. Weird thing is I was originally being sold on the NUVO 30 using just those lights, and he said I might even get away with just using one Kessil A80.

Tonight however, I am going onto BRS and picking the autotop off that you recommended. I also soon will pick up a RODI to lower costs but that is a bit down the line. Also this week, I will be researching a good protein skimmer for the tank. I will for sure look into the one that you recommended, would it be able to go directly into the sump or is it hang on? From what it looks like it is hang on the back and I saw you said I will use the empty chamber as a place for dosing pumps/other equipment.

With the media baskets I will probably pick one of those up as-well tonight. And you recommended running run Chemipure Blue as the media correct? I will research that tonight.

For the two-part I will research it, I have watched some BRS videos spotlighting there product of course but haven't done two much research on the other options. I am glad I got a month or two before I need to splurge into two-part.

Also what test kits do you guys recommend I pick up to test the tanks chemicals. My LFS will test them for me every week but I would also like to have the option to test my own tanks chemistry.

I really like the set up so far except for the lights. Like everyone else, I would change the lighting. I currently have two AI primes on a mixed reef and is doing fine. +1 with LED shadowing. I bought a cheap large colony only to have the shaded areas bleach on me. The frags on the other hand are thriving. Look into my thread for details. The A80's might be ok for LPS but not SPS I believe. Also check fleebay regarding ATO resevoir. Found a 2.5 gal acrylic for 90 shipped. Not a name brand but does the job. Skimmer yes since you starded with live rock. I starded with dry to avoid the possible unwanted critters. Also research and research again until you are not doubting any decision regarding what to add or remove. Took me eight years to finally go on the deep end. Again welcome to the hobby and enjoy your new set up.

Thank you, yeah I will for sure look into your thread. Thanks for the advice, I think for the ATO container I might just purchase a HomeDepot bucket and roll with that. Also FB Marketplace people are always selling 10 Gallon Fish Tanks that they once used and then got bored, I might just do that.

I don’t necessarily think the Watts per gallon rule applies to leds. Although if you want an sps dominated tank, you may have shadowing issues with your current lights. The t5s would be a good edition to help. An ATO is a must have for a smaller tank, and having a skimmer without an ato makes it really hard to properly skim since the water level is going to be changing without an ATO. +1 on the chemipure and smart ato.

Thank you for the advice, I can definitely see why an ATO is such as must with these small tanks. The tank already has evaporated dramatically in one day and it is pretty obvious salinity swings will follow.

dgruic0712

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For test kits I like salifert and Red Sea. Cheap and accurate. Nothing wrong with a 5 gallon bucket just make sure you get a lid to prevent any dust or accidentally drop anything in the ATO reservoir

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for the help on this, I am truly a beginner trying to learn my way. I think I might talk to my LFS owner as he was the one who recommended me the light. Notably I probably should have done more research on it, but I spent over two hours at the store that day explaining all of my plans and how I wanted to do SPS. I think if I tell him I will purchase two Kessil 160WE, I at least have a chance of a partial refund. If that doesn't work out then I will go with the T5 idea just to lower costs. Weird thing is I was originally being sold on the NUVO 30 using just those lights, and he said I might even get away with just using one Kessil A80.

Tonight however, I am going onto BRS and picking the autotop off that you recommended. I also soon will pick up a RODI to lower costs but that is a bit down the line. Also this week, I will be researching a good protein skimmer for the tank. I will for sure look into the one that you recommended, would it be able to go directly into the sump or is it hang on? From what it looks like it is hang on the back and I saw you said I will use the empty chamber as a place for dosing pumps/other equipment.

With the media baskets I will probably pick one of those up as-well tonight. And you recommended running run Chemipure Blue as the media correct? I will research that tonight.

For the two-part I will research it, I have watched some BRS videos spotlighting there product of course but haven't done two much research on the other options. I am glad I got a month or two before I need to splurge into two-part.

Also what test kits do you guys recommend I pick up to test the tanks chemicals. My LFS will test them for me every week but I would also like to have the option to test my own tanks chemistry.

Thank you, yeah I will for sure look into your thread. Thanks for the advice, I think for the ATO container I might just purchase a HomeDepot bucket and roll with that. Also FB Marketplace people are always selling 10 Gallon Fish Tanks that they once used and then got bored, I might just do that.

Thank you for the advice, I can definitely see why an ATO is such as must with these small tanks. The tank already has evaporated dramatically in one day and it is pretty obvious salinity swings will follow.
Most lfs will do full refund if you purchase a16o from them, since they are really replacing the light (assuming you have not kept it for long ), and they know you will purchasing a lot of stuff from them in coming months

Ro buddie is under 70$ and fits nicely under small places , I used it along with instant ocean reef crystal for my sal water mixing. You,ll need an extra pump (use the stock pump ) and heater

BadPanda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also try the 5 gal jugs LFS sells. I bought mine for 15 bucks for the intent of mixing saltwater. That was my original plan as far as reservoir goes. I had to make sure everything would fit under my stand due to space constraints. +1 on the Redsea test kit. I did get the hanna kits for both nit and phos. Also pay attention on the third chanber where the return pump is. It wasn't until I removed the tape for the second chamber that I found filt collecting on the side of the third chamber. Look at the diagram for the back and you'll see what i mean. If you are going picking up chemipure, look for the that says nano. Just use the filter socks until your media basket comes in. You can also use the socks when you feed. Just switch before and after feeding.

OP
OP
OffTopic

OffTopic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also try the 5 gal jugs LFS sells. I bought mine for 15 bucks for the intent of mixing saltwater. That was my original plan as far as reservoir goes. I had to make sure everything would fit under my stand due to space constraints. +1 on the Redsea test kit. I did get the hanna kits for both nit and phos. Also pay attention on the third chanber where the return pump is. It wasn't until I removed the tape for the second chamber that I found filt collecting on the side of the third chamber. Look at the diagram for the back and you'll see what i mean. If you are going picking up chemipure, look for the that says nano. Just use the filter socks until your media basket comes in. You can also use the socks when you feed. Just switch before and after feeding.

Interesting will for sure, what did you do to stop the filt for collecting? sorry It seems a bit unclear how you stopped it. Have you been using the Chemipure for your tank? Has it been working well for you? Also if I remember correctly your system you used the 1k Gyre Generational Pump as your powerhead, if I am right do you like the pump? From the reviews it looks like a really good pump option for what I am doing here.

Most lfs will do full refund if you purchase a16o from them, since they are really replacing the light (assuming you have not kept it for long ), and they know you will purchasing a lot of stuff from them in coming months

Ro buddie is under 70$ and fits nicely under small places , I used it along with instant ocean reef crystal for my sal water mixing. You,ll need an extra pump (use the stock pump ) and heater

Yeah that is my train of thought, I will be probably purchasing 1k+ in his store in the upcoming months it wouldn't make to much business sense to not allow me to return the lights. We will see and I will keep this thread posted, if he does deny it, BRS will be my go to for equipment then.

For the RODI that sounds awesome, I have am reading into it now but it seems perfect for my use case. Tomorrow I am building a stand for the tank and that and the salt-mixing station probably can fit inside there. With me switching out the pump/heater I will be all set after purchasing the RO/DI system. All that will make it super easy to do water changes/mix salt. THANK YOU

BadPanda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemipure's been in the tank since day one. I have two bags that I change monthly. First bag on the 15th and the second on the 30th to prevent any drrastic changes. Icecap gyre is perfect for my setup. I have a strong flow on top for SPS and residual flow at the bottom for LPS. The gyre so far is very handy. I just have to clean the mesh weekly and the price can't be beat for what it does. I use the filter sock when I'm feeding and remove them and replace the media basket back after feeding. Technically I shouldn't use chemipure with NOPOX per LFS but a consistent 0.04 Phos per hanna says yes.

OP
OP
OffTopic

OffTopic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, pretty good news, I just finished talking to my LFS Owner and as @Ranjib thought he is going to give me a refund on the lights. He just put in the order for two Kessil 160WE, so we will be rolling in SPS goodness in no time! Now that I am getting the Kessil 160WE's there is no need to get the T5 bulbs correct? I am also considering getting another ten-fifteen pounds of live rock for a more ascetically pleasing Aquascape, is that going to be alright? My plan was Saturday I am going to do a 100% water change and add in the new rock.

It is still pretty early on but I am really liking the idea of running Kalkwasser in my tank. The idea I can put it into my ATO and not have to deal with Dosing pumps is a plus. Still early on and I am going to research other ideas but I am liking what I see!

*Update*

Today I also going to put in the order for the Smart ATO Micro 120P, 1k Gyre Generation Pump with Controller, 75 W Neo-Therm Submersible Heater, and Aquamax 1.5 HOB. I am still doing research on a good RO/DI system as the one I will buy now, I want it to last me numerous fish tanks in the future. Yesterday I order the Media Cab and the Media so I am excited to implement that. Also I got the Sicce 1.0 Return pump just to help my sannity and going back into that room again.

I am also probably get the Red Sea Marine Care Test Kit/Red Sea Reef Foundation Pro Test kit. I think from what I read a lot of people like that test kit and I want to be able to test my own water.

Also to make this a bit more fish tank thread, here is pictures of Ricardo and Sadie feeding. I have been feeding them brine shrimp every two days to limit overfeeding and they seem to be thriving. They are doing absolutely amazing in the new tank! True story I cancelled plans with my friends yesterday just to watch the two... LOL

upload_2018-9-3_9-44-43.png

upload_2018-9-3_9-45-12.png

upload_2018-9-3_9-45-53.png

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, pretty good news, I just finished talking to my LFS Owner and as @Ranjib thought he is going to give me a refund on the lights. He just put in the order for two Kessil 160WE, so we will be rolling in SPS goodness in no time! Now that I am getting the Kessil 160WE's there is no need to get the T5 bulbs correct? I am also considering getting another ten-fifteen pounds of live rock for a more ascetically pleasing Aquascape, is that going to be alright? My plan was Saturday I am going to do a 100% water change and add in the new rock.

It is still pretty early on but I am really liking the idea of running Kalkwasser in my tank. The idea I can put it into my ATO and not have to deal with Dosing pumps is a plus. Still early on and I am going to research other ideas but I am liking what I see!

*Update*

Today I also going to put in the order for the Smart ATO Micro 120P, 1k Gyre Generation Pump with Controller, 75 W Neo-Therm Submersible Heater, and Aquamax 1.5 HOB. I am still doing research on a good RO/DI system as the one I will buy now, I want it to last me numerous fish tanks in the future. Yesterday I order the Media Cab and the Media so I am excited to implement that. Also I got the Sicce 1.0 Return pump just to help my sannity and going back into that room again.

I am also probably get the Red Sea Marine Care Test Kit/Red Sea Reef Foundation Pro Test kit. I think from what I read a lot of people like that test kit and I want to be able to test my own water.

Also to make this a bit more fish tank thread, here is pictures of Ricardo and Sadie feeding. I have been feeding them brine shrimp every two days to limit overfeeding and they seem to be thriving. They are doing absolutely amazing in the new tank! True story I cancelled plans with my friends yesterday just to watch the two... LOL

upload_2018-9-3_9-44-43.png

upload_2018-9-3_9-45-12.png

upload_2018-9-3_9-45-53.png
awesome.
I have worries about the icecap 1K. I think it will have same effect as MP40. You'll be forced to run in in lowest mode :-( .
If you are on budget, couple of hydor or an aquamai pump might address your need

dgruic0712

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the BRS rodi systems because if you get even the smaller units, you can easily upgrade them by adding canisters or membranes. I started with a 4 stage BRS RO unit rated at 75gpd and I’m now running 1 sediment filter 2 carbon blocks, 2 RO membranes ( second one comes with the 150 gpd upgrade pack, and 2 DI Resin canisters. I also added a booster pump to maintain a steady pressure. Would also highly recommend getting a digital TDS meter and pressure gauge for the unit itself.

OP
OP
OffTopic

OffTopic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome.
I have worries about the icecap 1K. I think it will have same effect as MP40. You'll be forced to run in in lowest mode :-( .
If you are on budget, couple of hydor or an aquamai pump might address your need

So would a MP10 be the best case scenario for me? I'd rather get a good quality stuff as it already came apparent this tank wont be my QT next year. I am already attached. Will adding 10-15 pounds of live rock this week okay?

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome.

The 1k can be capped on one side if the the flow is too strong. This also cuts a couple of inches off of the length.

OP
OP
OffTopic

OffTopic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the BRS rodi systems because if you get even the smaller units, you can easily upgrade them by adding canisters or membranes. I started with a 4 stage BRS RO unit rated at 75gpd and I’m now running 1 sediment filter 2 carbon blocks, 2 RO membranes ( second one comes with the 150 gpd upgrade pack, and 2 DI Resin canisters. I also added a booster pump to maintain a steady pressure. Would also highly recommend getting a digital TDS meter and pressure gauge for the unit itself.

From what I read BRS RO/DI are extremely solid units. And they really don't break the bank at the end of the day, I am glad you like yours, I am leaning going that way.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the 1k around 30-40% on my JBJ 45. Display is 30 gallons. Your 20 is about half that. For SPS, you would probably run it higher than I do.

OP
OP
OffTopic

OffTopic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the 1k around 30-40% on my JBJ 45. Display is 30 gallons. Your 20 is about half that. For SPS, you would probably run it higher than I do.

Thank you for the insight, I will have to look at some different options. Researching primarily the MP10 now but I will look at some different options for the tank. I will post in a bit my conclusions!

OP
OP
OffTopic

OffTopic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been looking into Tunze options and I came across this one. I like it because it is $120 dollars less than Ecotechs, saying that isn’t a factor wouldn’t be genuine. But I also like it as it is designed for nano tanks and controllable what you guys think?

I know one downside would be I would have to clean out the motor part of it, which wouldn’t be that big of a problem.

upload_2018-9-3_10-42-15.png

dgruic0712

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have any experience with the 1k or tunzes, but I have with Mp10s and the jebao wave makers. 2 Mp10s will give you IMO the best flow possible for your tank, keeping in mind it’s SPS dominant. The Jebao pumps were always great for me, sometimes not for others. Tunze is a reputable company and has good product from what I’ve read, I don’t think you can go wrong with tunze powerheads.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back